SadoPriest avatar
SadoPriest  •  6 months ago  •  Eagle Mk. II
SadoPriest's current Eagle
Sinxar  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
Oh yeah I totally agree. My CPU upgrade was a major one for me though so I can't really comment on that, I went from a Phenom II X4 820 to an i7-4790k.

But the funny thing is my old 8800GT is still relevant. It was able to easily play Skyrim and Dying Light and we are talking about an absolutely ancient GPU.
Roguey  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
Well, I think both the 1070/1080 are seriously over-priced and should of been direct replacements of the 970/980. However because of no direct completion from AMD, this has allow nvidia to price them over the top of the existing generation. Its hard to know what will happen in the next couple of years, but after this new generation its been a bit of a disappointment for me anyway (the new gen should of been a serious improvement not just 10-20%). The older generation of cards such should of been dead and buried with the new gen. It does look like CPU/GPU advancement has really slowed now. Another example is Intels new chips (one being a 10 core) is barely much faster either. Okay it has more cores (which is good) but single core performance hasnt changed 25-50, 75%+
Roguey  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
thanks m8. I was also looking for the 1080ti but I dont think we see it for another 7+ months (when AMD release Vega). I guess they could release earlier but why should they?

4k has been the problem for me, and atm the only solution is two cards. We arent even sure the 1080ti will be capable atm - the new cards so suffer from their problems (mostly thermal).

SLI'ing with my older 980ti is cheaper than one 1080! Let alone two of them (which is required for 4k@60fps). So I grabbed one whilst they are available and have a lower price for now.
HarryAHole avatar
HarryAHole  •  6 months ago  •  Split Acinonyx Prototype
Good luck getting one. Miscalculation mission is 7 shades of fvcked. Engine tunings? Never saw any during the dozens of times I had my a$$ handed to me. See ya in the next shitty game albeit won't be for long. HarryAHole over and out.
Sinxar  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
Yeah, in all honesty a 1080 would be overkill for me, let alone a 1080ti. I am undecided. I will likely wait until the price comes down on the 1080 a bit and they have better coolers on em then see. The 1070 is apparently the sweet spot for 1440p but I want to make sure to get high FPS (144'ish) as well as all the eye candy maxed.

That RX 480 was a disappointment. I sorta figured it would when they started talking about how efficient it was. At least for us anyway. I guess if you are playing at 1080p the 480 would be great since it is on par with a 970 with a much lower price tag.
Roguey  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
True, the RX 480 seems like a great choice for 1080p, and can also gives a bit of 1440p action. Its priced very well by AMD. Although nvidia is going to spoil the fun with the release of the 1060 in the next couple of days (I think the 7th).

If youre running 1440p, then I think either 1070 or 980ti would be fine for you. 1070 is new tech and has the extra vram, but there has been a lot of price cuts on the 980ti. It depends what price you can get them for - although 8gb does sound a bit over-kill for 1440p.

I doubt the RX 480 offers you any-thing much over your 970 - apart from some extra vram.

How does the 970 fair in 1440p for you? the 970 has earnt a good name for itself. Shame AMD has only found a way to equal it with the RX 480.
Sinxar  •  6 months ago  •  New architecture or not..
The 970 is pretty good for most games, gets a good 60 - 80 FPS in more demanding games like The Division, Dark Souls 3, Farcry 4, and Just Cause 3. The 1070 should be pretty good but I want a bit more future proofing so I don't have to buy another GPU in 2 years.