RimWorld

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Picture
sci-fi colony sim
Now available on Steam.

I forgot about this game until my brother mentioned it was on Steam now. Previously it was only available on the developers website.

So what is it? It is a hardcore colony sim, apparently like Dwarf Fortress which I have never played. It has a similar art style as Prison Architect. How it works is you pick a starting scenario and pick a few people to start with then pick where you want to start.

You build buildings and research new things. Gather food by growing it or hunting wild animals. In some cases cannibalism may be required to survive. That is all on the first day or so. There is an AI story teller that dictates the events that occur. Pirate and nearby tribes will try to raid your colony. Blights will wipe out your crops. Thats not even mentioning the more intense things like toxic fallout, heat waves, deadly infections, hostile mechanoids, flash storms (usually resulting in huge forest fires), cold snaps, breakdowns (both mental and mechanical), and volcanic winters.

The end goal is to build a ship and escape the planet. Personally I have yet to do that as it is more fun to just go as long as possible. There is quite a lot to do. You can dig into mountains to build a base or live in the open. You can actually get quite advanced with power armor and high tech guns.

I have been playing on "rough" (this is the 'normal' difficulty) with the default AI story teller. A year last 60 days on the planet with 15 days per season. Right now I am on year two and all my starting colonist has already died and had a very close call. My last person was sick with an infection and was almost surely going to die. A passing trade group saved the day and sold me a slave that had good medical skills. So now it is just a solder and a medic living in a colony built for 15.

If interested I recommend watching some good lets plays of the game before buying. It is challenging to say the least, just look at all these graves.

Picture

There is very good mod support. I am using one that adds more turrets, more lights and one that changes some power use of some objects like lights and coolers. Very addictive game that I can't wait to get home from work and see what happens next.

From the Steam product page:
RimWorld is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune.

You begin with three survivors of a shipwreck on a distant world.

Manage colonists' moods, needs, wounds, and illnesses.
Fashion structures, weapons, and apparel from metal, wood, stone, cloth, or futuristic materials.
Tame and train cute pets, productive farm animals, and deadly attack beasts.
Watch colonists develop and break relationships with family members, lovers, and spouses.
Fight pirate raiders, hostile tribes, rampaging animals, giant tunnelling insects and ancient killing machines.
Trade with passing ships and trade caravans.
Decorate your colony to make it into a pleasurable space.
Dig through snow, weather storms, and fight fires.
Capture refugees or prisoners and turn them to your side or sell them into slavery.
Discover a new generated world each time you play.
Build colonies in the desert, jungle, tundra, and more.
Learn to play easily with the help of an intelligent and unobtrusive AI tutor.

RimWorld is a story generator. It’s designed to co-author tragic, twisted, and triumphant stories about imprisoned pirates, desperate colonists, starvation and survival. It works by controlling the “random” events that the world throws at you. Every thunderstorm, pirate raid, and traveling salesman is a card dealt into your story by the AI Storyteller. There are several storytellers to choose from. Randy Random does crazy stuff, Cassandra Classic goes for rising tension, and Phoebe Friendly just makes good things happen.

Your colonists are not professional settlers – they’re crash-landed survivors from a passenger liner destroyed in orbit. You can end up with a nobleman, an accountant, and a housewife. You’ll acquire more colonists by capturing them in combat and turning them to your side, buying them from slave traders, or taking in refugees. So your colony will always be a motley crew.

Each person’s background is tracked and affects how they play. A nobleman will be great at social skills (recruiting prisoners, negotiating trade prices), but refuse to do physical work. A farm oaf knows how to grow food by long experience, but cannot do research. A nerdy scientist is great at research, but cannot do social tasks at all. A genetically engineered assassin can do nothing but kill – but he does that very well.

Colonists develop - and destroy - relationships. Each has an opinion of the others, which determines whether they'll become lovers, marry, cheat, or fight. Perhaps your two best colonists are happily married - until one of them falls for the dashing surgeon who saved her from a gunshot wound.

The game generates a whole planet from pole to equator. You choose whether to land your crash pods in a cold northern tundra, a parched desert plain, a temperate forest, or a steaming equatorial jungle. Different areas have different animals, plants, diseases, temperatures, rainfall, mineral resources, and terrain. These challenges of surviving in a disease-infested, choking jungle are very different from those in a parched desert wasteland or a frozen tundra with a two-month growing season.

You can tame and train animals. Lovable pets will cheer up sad colonists. Farm animals can be worked, milked, and sheared. Attack beasts can be released upon your enemies. There are many animals - cats, labrador retrievers, grizzly bears, camels, cougars, chinchillas, chickens, and exotic alien-like lifeforms.

People in RimWorld constantly observe their situation and surroundings in order to decide how to feel at any given moment. They respond to hunger and fatigue, witnessing death, disrespectfully unburied corpses, being wounded, being left in darkness, getting packed into cramped environments, sleeping outside or in the same room as others, and many other situations. If they're too stressed, they might lash out or break down.

Wounds, infections, prosthetics, and chronic conditions are tracked on each body part and affect characters' capacities. Eye injuries make it hard to shoot or do surgery. Wounded legs slow people down. Hands, brain, mouth, heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, feet, fingers, toes, and more can all be wounded, diseased, or missing, and all have logical in-game effects. And other species have their own body layouts - take off a deer's leg, and it can still hobble on the other three. Take off a rhino's horn, and it's much less dangerous.

You can repair body parts with prosthetics ranging from primitive to transcendent. A peg leg will get Joe Colonist walking after an unfortunate incident with a rhinoceros, but he'll still be quite slow. Buy an expensive bionic leg from a trader the next year, and Joe becomes a superhuman runner. You can even extract, sell, buy, and transplant internal organs.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
hi there,

I just had a look on the steam page about Rimworld and I must admit it looks very similar art style as prison architect (so much so I thought it might of been created by the same people; like they where trying to mix a survival with the previous prison architect game).

Geez thats a lot of graves by any game, is there anyone left after all that?

Have you been visited by any aliens? if that happens?

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Have you been visited by any aliens? if that happens?
- Roguey

Aliens don't exist in this game. There are hostile robots though (Mechanoid: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Mechanoid). The centipede isn't too bad usually because they usually have a minigun which is highly inaccurate. They do carry more powerful weapons sometimes, this is where a sniper rifle comes in handy.

The Scyther on the the other hand is the worst. It uses a very accurate blaster (charge lance) than can easily one shot your guys. They are small and hard to hit and fast moving.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
Aliens don't exist in this game.
- Sinxar

Oh, thats kind-of a shame - would of been nice to see an alien invasion or something. So I guess the biggest problem in the game is surviving? ie. supplying enough food, heat, etc. rather than dealing with external threats?

also, I you havnt posted any pictures of your colonists - apart from all the graves. Did any of them survive?

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Here is a raid that happened last night. This world is a new one and everything is going surprisingly well. Need automated defenses though as I have been focusing on keeping the people happy. While I can craft charge rifles and power armor, it is actually much easier to just take it from the corpses of raiders. Micromanagement during battles is very important I have found. Got away with just some bruises on this one. I forgot one of my people needed a heart transplant. I should have captured the last living invader and harvested his organs.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
thanks for posting the video - it looks like a fairly complex game to me. I bet it took you awhile to get used to the game? myself im not a big fan of micromanagement but its interesting to see someone else play it Smile

I guess once you're used to it, its quite an involving game?

I was kind-of a little underwhelmed about the fighting, especially when they were using melee attacks or attacking those doors. Although you did seem to have a good sniper Smile

How did the heart transplant go?

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Believe it or not, it was easy to pick up. The tutorial does a good job at telling you what you need to do.

No idea why they decided to attack the doors while fleeing. It is an alpha though and I assume it is the AI being a bit weird. Haven't had a chance to play since I recorded that so I haven't found anybody to steal the heart from.

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Played a while this morning. I am using a mod that adds more turrets. Was able to finally research and build the top tier one. It is pretty good as you can imagine. Still need more than one though and they are expensive but affordable for where I am at.

Tested it on a very large raiding party that showed up to steal my stuff. Two raiders survived, until I harvested their hearts!

My people got a mood debuff from harvesting their organs but Teresa is now good as new. I sold the other one to a passing trader in orbit. Sold for about 300 dollars which is quite good, consider most guns sell for 100 or so. I also purchased a bionic leg and a kidney to put on/in somebody else.

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Worked on my colony some more. Put together a poorly edited giant image.

Seagraves is the name the colonist gave it.

A lot of it has a roof so toxic fallout shouldn't be an issue as I have enough food to last ages. The defenses are mostly automated so everybody can just hide inside if needed.

Picture

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Decided to just finish the game on this one. I think my save might be broken. Events are very few and far between for some unknown reason. I ended up digging in a mountain looking for materials to construct the escape ship. Plasteel is one material that I have never found on this map and while digging around I found a huge deposit of it. It was more than enough for the ship.

Can't wait for future developments on this game. Quite addictive and very fun. I intend to keep playing but probably not as much until some major changes happen.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
hi there, sorry for not replying sooner. Seagraves looks pretty nice, good work. I guess that middle area is like some kind-of hallway? there doesnt seem many doors overall? the map itself, is that the full map of the whole area? or is that just where your building is?

as for harvesting the hearts, that does sound quite vicious in some ways. I guess at-least you saved Teresa and gained some money from it. It does sound like the game will punish for continuously doing bad acts however.

when you said the goal is about escaping the planet, is it the same planet/area you are escaping from? so there arent lava/ice bound planets to escape from - giving you difference things to worry about?

each video you post, does make me think its prison architect Smile

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
My base is just a small part of the map. I think I picked the largest map size possible on that one.

When you start a game the world is generated by a seed. The map you pick to play on is a small tile on the world map. Right now you can't move from tile to tile on the world. Not sure if that is something that will be added or not. But on the world map you can select from ice sheets to extreme desert. The save from above took place in a mountainous arid shrub land. I have tried games in the forest, jungle and coastal areas but never built the ship to leave the planet.

So there is a win condition, build the ship and leave the planet. Keep in mind it is an alpha build right now so who knows what else they will add.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
ah, so there is a few different planet types. Do they have an effect on the gameplay? or are they simply just for cosmetic reasons? I like the idea that the world is generated by a random seed - reminds me of quite a few games to be honest (otherwise there would be little replay value). I understand what you mean by alpha build - there could be quite a few changes between now and final release. How much time have you spent on it?

Posted 5 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Of course they have an effect on gameplay. Extreme cold areas has very little food, plants cannot grow outdoors, hypothermia resulting in death is a big issue. On the other end, extreme desert is more forgiving but heat causes heat stroke, so unless you have electric it is very difficult to play either of these types of map.

Steam says I have 84 hours ingame. Haven't been playing it though, been playing No Man's Sky recently.

Posted 5 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
Ah, good to hear they do offer their own set of challenges. Have you tried to play on either type of map?

as for no-man's sky, I hear its been getting a bit of bashing? although maybe it might be best to create another topic for it?

« Previous | Page: 1 | Next »

You need to log-in to post here.