Building a complex

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Building a complex

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 11 years ago.

I hate towing stations, if you do even slightly at the wrong angle, it spins. I was once towing my PHQ closer to a shipyard with a centaur, and after about 1km it starts wildly spinning round like a flipping spinning top, and I was only going about 10-15m/s!! End of the story? I was quite close, it spun round and hit my ship, I got stuck and died. Fun.

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

When you where towing the station, where did you lock the beam onto? I think if you fire it the middle, then there is less chance of the station spinning. However if you fire it at the top, or something then it will encourage it to spin.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Naah, I shot it right where the Laser Targetter settled, and because I and the station were sitting completly still, that targetter focuses nearly dead centre, yet after 2km is was like a whirling gyroscope.... Really annoying...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Have you tried cutting your speed when it starts to happen?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah, on the second try I was going about 10-15m/s when it started, andi slowed to about 3m/s and it hit me... Is it just my X3 being Derp, or doesn this happen a lot?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

The indicator will point to the centre of mass, and the station will revolve around that point. Targeting that will only give good results if you then fly directly away from it, and don't turn at all. I prefer to aim for the point farthest from the centre and then that will help stability as you tow the rest of the station behind.
From what I remember of towing mines in X:R, that kind of spinning usually happened when I was using SETA. If you're using SETA, try without. Also, as far as I know the object shouldn't crash into you ._. not sure what's going on there.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

So if I am towing my PHQ, should i tow it from the top? That's where it looks the heaviest... And yes i was using SETA a bit, i'll try it without. That's strange thats it not supposed to hit me, because it did, twice. I'm not doubting what you are saying, but maybe it's because the PHQ is much larger than any other station? (apart from maybe a large mine).

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.