What do you think of the M7C class?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » What do you think of the M7C class?

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

well.. I do think ego kind-of shot themselves in the foot, as there are already light carriers M7's in the game already (with much better shielding). Does the Griffon Hauler really only have 400Mj worth of shielding? Eek (need to check in-game, that seems so wrong).

If so, you might as well paint a big bull eye on it - although at 26mil its not even cheap.
- Roguey

I don't think the Griffon Hauler actually exists in the game. It doesn't show up in my encyclopedia, nor does it seem to be for sale in any of the shipyards.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't think the Griffon Hauler actually exists in the game.
- martimus

Erm? Check Argon Prime:
Picture

dutzan

dutzan avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

That's the sentinel variant. Only holds 9 ships.
The hauler exists, but only argon military has it and can't be captured aparently.
If it doesn't show in the enciclopedia it may be because you haven't encountered it yet. Even the regular sentinel is pretty rare, I only remember encountering it once before 2.0.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Oh sorry about that, I didnt notice the variant name difference. Gheez, some of these ships do have very similar names, which can make it a bit confusing at times.

drone_zero

drone_zero avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

With the Split m7 Panther out there, which can dock 20 fighters as well as being an effective combat unit, I just don't see the point in the m7c class with the exception of the guppy and adrianne which bring non fighter docking to the table. Aside from this useful, yet not vital feature, why use any m7c when you can use a panther?

JoelNussbaum

JoelNussbaum avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

The M7C needs a serious fix for the ship itself. The problem is that it falls into the price bracket as most Station Carrier Ships like the ryu or the elephant. The ST ships aforementioned sometimes exceed the specifications of the m7c in terms of speed, hangar capacity, survivability, and armament. I typically bypass buying them for a ST ship and use it as my mobile base of operations until I get a PHQ. Improvements would consist of similar hull strength as a regular m7, shielding, and speeds would go a long way. Extended cargo capacity and slightly better armaments would also be a plus.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The M7C needs a serious fix for the ship itself. The problem is that it falls into the price bracket as most Station Carrier Ships like the ryu or the elephant.
- JoelNussbaum

I do feel that we have too many ships in the game now; and many of them are doubling or even tripling other ships in stat. However like you said, some of the other ships offer so much better stats it makes some ships just pointless.

jack775544

jack775544 avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

In my game I modded the M7C class to use 2 - 4 GJ of shields and corvette grade weapons. With that it feels like they have a place in the game.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

In my game I modded the M7C class to use 2 - 4 GJ of shields and corvette grade weapons. With that it feels like they have a place in the game.
- jack775544

Just the shield upgrade alone makes the class better; I dont know who decided to put such weak shields on the M7C class.

Wouldnt a mini-fleet carrier be well shield?! - although maybe poor weapons? .. after-al the M7C could be carrying millions of credits worth of ships.

JoelNussbaum

JoelNussbaum avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ive done a similar thing to jack by upping the shields to the multiple gj range. Didnt touch weapons, missiles, or cargo capacity, and now they have a nice niche in my fleet. They can fly faster than the m1s meaning they can get in faster scrap a bit. With that simple modification, they have become excellent raiders.

SurvivorSue

SurvivorSue avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Really it does not matter what we think of Drone carriers! As clearly, ES intend to make Rebirth revolve around drones and autonomous capital ships, these types of ships are obviously to be the future of X Universe gaming?
Personally I have more complexes producing, Drones, Laser Towers and Adv. Stats than anything else and I have few M7Cs but they are well used!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 11 years ago.

My 20C:
the M7C class is a great addition, on paper. Vanilla shields suck, and make no sense at all, but I'm playing XRM anyway, and they upped the shields to GJ ranges, which makes them (in my opinion/my style) the best ships around.

A Teladi Tern can dock 14 Fighters + 6x M6/TP/TS (4xM6 2xM8) with ~10K cargo, that allows it to be a mobile base of operations. It can field it's own fighter wing or two, while still keeping room for salvaged ships, even TS's!
Close to it would be a Panther, with 25 M3 docking abilities (don't know about M6/TS/M8), Phased Array Laser Cannons, PBE's, ISR's etc. and serious speed is pretty much my ideal carrier. It's fast, meaning it can retreat, small and consequently manouverable enough to evade atleast some enemy fire, and can pack a mean enough punch to be a serious competitor to most anything (incl. M2/M1).
2 of these + fighters and some corvettes and you got yourself a pocket Quick Response Fleet, able to do hit 'n runs, quickly protecting your assets (using ADS network security for example), and for a Pirate style game, are (next to a TL) the perfect homebase.

From the M7 Class, I think the M7M's are the most useless. Except for boarding those ships have no purpouse. You can get heavy missiles on other ships, make a bomber wing, which is much faster and a smaller target, thus can quicker deliver the punch and get out of dodge, while M7M's are bulky, slow and even so, can fire only a very limited amount of missiles.

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

My 20C:he M7C class is a great addition, on paper. Vanilla shields suck, and make no sense at all,
- NetHawk

Seems everyone thinks the same thing; who ever thought a few 125MJ would be enough was crazy.

From the M7 Class, I think the M7M's are the most useless.
- NetHawk

I would disagree; M7M just seem to be the most exploited ship class; with enough money you can spam a whole sector with missiles. I do feel however the M7 class has lost a lot of uniqueness with ships having stats of other classes. M7C is just another example.

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 11 years ago.

NetHawk said:From the M7 Class, I think the M7M's are the most useless.
I would disagree; M7M just seem to be the most exploited ship class; with enough money you can spam a whole sector with missiles. I do feel however the M7 class has lost a lot of uniqueness with ships having stats of other classes. M7C is just another example.
- Roguey

I agree. I use to jump into Xenon Core with my Cobra and kill every Xenon there, alone, and then bring a hauler to resupply to destroy the stations. The M7M is the most powerful ship class bar none. Even the crappiest M7M is more powerful that the strongest ship of any other class in pretty much every fight.

XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The M7C is not bad addition but for me its pointless, why?
Some Corvettes are even better than M7C and costs lower, secondly why would you like to buy the M7C if you can buy decent M7 Carrier (Panther) if you love to build your fleet, personally i like direct and raw firepower so usually Tiger is my choice.

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

-Andrew Ender Wiggin
« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.