Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Home Board Index » Steam » Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

its on sale at 50% off @ Green Man Games - http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dark-souls-prepare-die-edition-na/

If you can find a promo code it stacks apparently (+20% off). It activates through Steam as well, so no extra stuff to download to make it work, well other than GFWL but thats required for online play anyway.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Finally beat the game. Started on NG+ but dont really feel like doing that right now. The boss however was not what I expected. I assumed it would perhaps be one of those massive bosses, I was surprised to see what it actually was. And he was quite the challenge.
- Sinxar

Kind-of what I was expecting to hear - a large giant boss. I guess they wanted something different than you would expect.

Been doing a lot more pvp and im starting to get the hang of it now.
- Sinxar

Im one of them who never really enjoys PvP. I prefer PvM a lot more, where you work together. I guess most of the focus is on PvM in Dark souls?

If you can find a promo code it stacks apparently (+20% off). It activates through Steam as well, so no extra stuff to download to make it work, well other than GFWL but thats required for online play anyway.
- Sinxar

I remmeber having major problems with GFWL on GTA4, where it wouldnt let me save or something. I did look at getting batman when the steam sales where on, but GFWL put me off. I dont like when there is extra DRM on steam stuff - as its not really needed (with steam). However you said there was a PS3 version; I guess there is no cross-play between PS3 and PC?

Some areas are absolutely stunning. You can tell the developer went to great lengths to make each environment feel immersive.
- Sinxar

Diff. looks so.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Im not sure how exactly that works but i dont think so.
- Sinxar

Unfortunately its usually the case with many console and pc games. So nothing new there.

I didnt realize it until I was reviewing the FRAPS footage that lightning attacks have an AOE effect in water.
- Sinxar

Maybe its you, but that boss didnt look too bad. However one-time in the battle, the boss took a ton of health - I guess you didnt have your shield up then? as for AOE I saw that straight away - not sure how you missed that LOL

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Geez, that thing is big. I can see what you mean about the magical attack - seems to ignore your shield. It doesnt look like your doing much damage to the boss; most of the other bosses you seem to take a big chunk of health out on every hit.

hmmmm... oh dear...

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Finally killed that dirt bag. I got a new sword and shield and got him. The upgrades I got before the fight actually didn't help that much, but the sword (Great Lord Greatsword +5) swings faster and does slightly more damage. Glad that is over, now its time to finish the game again!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

good to hear, in the video... well you got kind-of owned :P

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I tried to record the final battle for you. Summoned some people to assist, got to the boss and hit record. Credits start rolling and I stopped recording.

Turns out it was already recording when I got to the boss, so I didn't record the exact part I wanted. I'm just a bit angry about that. No idea why it was already recording... whatever I guess, Nobody seems interested anyway.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Turns out it was already recording when I got to the boss, so I didn't record the exact part I wanted. I'm just a bit angry about that. No idea why it was already recording... whatever I guess, Nobody seems interested anyway.
- Sinxar

ive done that before too - sometimes hard to know your recording sometimes. What do you use to record? FRAPS?

as for the boss - it didnt look too bad, although having a ranged attack over a melee boss looked like you had a big advantage.. well, once you know when to move-out of the way and that.

How is the sorcerer working out? I decided to do the same in Diablo 3 Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Sorcerer is great. I'm trying to stay human as much as possible so I get people invading me. Just this morning a guy invaded me when i started NG+ on the sorcerer. And yep, FRAPS ftw. Best capture software ever!

What happened was I took a shortcut through the start of the game, its actually a fairly long trip. I needed to get to the next bonfire so I would resurrect there when I died. I made it to the bonfire and somebody invaded (so i couldn't actually rest to save). If I would have died it would have sent me back to the start pretty much so i melted him with an extremely powerful, fast casting spell - Dark Bead.

A little bit later he send me a message:
First, you don't let me bow, then you pull out dark magic spam, it, then R1 spam me. Come on, stop being the scum of this game.

I responded with
You invaded me, if you don't like it don't invade

he said:
No, you're tactics are just retardedly easy to use, a downsyndrome baby could do them.

Then i had to go into detail as to why his whining didn't make sense. Basically he invaded for the sole reason to stop me from progressing, I used the tools available to kill him and get the bonfire. It's not like I summoned him for a duel, he invaded my world to kill me.

The drama is funny sometimes.

Anyway, I got a wizard on D3 but I don't really enjoy playing it. It was fun at low levels but it became too much like work once I geared him up a little bit. The barbarian is pretty fun though. Not as strong as my monk but decent. I gave up trying to get the armor I wanted and got a low tier of the chest piece (immortal kings IIRC). WW barb is epic for speed farming act 3 MP4 or MP5. Have to do a mid range MP level or it doesn't generate enough fury to keep going with WoTB.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It did look like he was tanking the boss fairly easy. I guess the wizard class in Dark souls has the same idea with regards of the shield - as often many wizard classes have no shield, but a 2-handed staff instead. Although your 5 missile attack looks rather ... plain although ... where is the giant fireball, or lighting strike? :p

ps. like the pointy shoes btw Smile

First, you don't let me bow, then you pull out dark magic spam, it, then R1 spam me. Come on, stop being the scum of this game.
- Sinxar

I do hate bad sports in games, in some games it ruins the game. I guess what does he expect if he going to invade you eh?

Anyway, I got a wizard on D3 but I dont really enjoy playing it.
- Sinxar

Getting rather peed off with D3 now; I posted why here.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

thanks for explaining about the wizard class. I guess it makes sense using melee weapons for the weaker mobs, then magic for the stronger ones. I didnt know you could die within just two hits, so I can understand why you are using a shield. btw, i guess there is no mana bar as such?

The level reminds me how it was in Diablo 2 - where you assign points to certain stats, unlike how its done automatically in Diablo 3. I much prefer deciding myself. Although I can understand why they went for a automated way - it can make it easier for new players.

So it suffers from people hacking the game? sounds very unfair if so. Is the game being still updated, so maybe these hacks will be fixed?

as recording, I need to look at something. I hate how the free recorders either limit you (like 30 seconds record) and/or add watermarks to the videos. I guess you have a registered version of fraps? I did look at it, but charging £25 seem a bit too much to be honest. This is generally why I dont record from my pc, although ive been a bit lazy and not even done much on the PS3 - even know I have all the recording stuff for that.

In that video above, you didnt kill any-one? what happens? do you lose like some money or something each time?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I agree, FRAPS is a bit expensive. But as you pointed out the alternatives are pretty terrible. I bring it up because I hate being the only one who creates content. I like doing it because it adds a new dimension to whatever you are talking about. Perhaps you could attract new visitors with X3 video content. The problem is the video editing software. Very few offer any actual control over the video and you are stuck with their pre-made titles with no effects or editing options. The ones that do, are generally extremely expensive.

Yea there are hackers. Its not something that can really be patched out, it comes from people using trainers for infinite health/stamina, setting all stats to max and things like that.

No there is no mana, but you get a set number of spell uses. Resting at a bonfire replenishes the magics. There are rings that can increase the number of castings (by 50% I think) at the expense of half your HP. The catalyst I use has the highest magic adjust stat without reducing the number of castings available. There are a few that are more powerful, and I may try one in PVP sometime since i'm not really using that many spells.

How PVP works is a bit odd and it appears to encourage people to take the initiative. When a player is in human form, it becomes online play. When people use certain items or join some covenants, they can invade another players world. When this happens the 'host' (the human player) acts as the server.

Now 3 things can happen in most cases:
1. The host kills the invader and the host gains 1 active humanity and some souls. The invader loses nothing.
2. The invader kills the host. The host loses the humanity used to become human. The invader gains 1 humanity and some souls.
3. The host alt+F4s out of the game. The invader loses nothing, the host has a chance of corrupting his save game.

There are variations of this for different covenants, like the Gravelord one curses other peoples worlds with powerful monsters, then that player (and 2 others) have to kill the Gravelord Servant to remove the curse. The Forest hunters (as shown in the vid) wear a ring that will automatically summon you to fight when somebody enters the forest in human form and the boss hasn't been defeated yet. There are others that I haven't tried out yet, such as the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, they invade the worlds of sinners (indicted players or people with various sins ranging from killing some npcs to improperly leaving a covenant). And The path of the Dragon, they fight each other for Dragon Scales (a weapon upgrade item).

Of course it isn't all pvp. There are co-op covenants that have benefits. One I am becoming more fond of is called Way of the White. From the information I have gathered, it makes it less likely a hostile player will invade and increases the number of white summon signs available. It does so by changing how the network is handled. This makes is much easier to offer assistance for boss fights and makes for fast leveling (you get the boss souls and 1 humanity if you are successful). Another popular one is Warrior of Sunlight. Here is a small tidbit on this:

Members have a higher priority connecting online with players in co-op covenants (Way of White, Warrior of Sunlight, and Princess's Guard) on the network. This reduces the risk of invasions, as the connection slot is used for co-op instead of invasion.

When you use White Sign Soapstone, your soul sign will be a yellow soul sign, making your sign stands out more. Your summoned phantom form will also be a Gold Phantom.

Upon clearing a boss with a Gold Phantom in the group, all members of the group (summoner and other phantom) are awarded a Sunlight Medal.

Humanity is supposed to be hard to get, but in reality its pretty common. You get active humanity from killing mobs while the area boss is still alive - active are ones that show in the upper left of the screen. Its easy to farm the ones in item form (you use it to heal to full health and gives 1 active humanity), the DLC area has a great spot and there is another popular spot early in the game for humanity farming.

The active humanity has its uses although a bit limited. You use 1 humanity to turn human. You can also use active humanity to kindle a bonfire. It gives you more estus flask and is permanent at that bonfire and carries through to NG+. It also increases your item find stat and curse resistance. There are some weapons that benefit from active humanity such as Chaos weapons that will increase their damage based on how many active humanity you have.

Again sorry for the long post, but I felt it was necessary so anybody reading this will have an idea of what humanity is/does and what PVP is about. And no, I didn't win any fights. Just a typical day lol. I'm working on a pure strength build now. Its coming along nicely. I just need to obtain some specific weapons and its almost ready for pvp.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I agree, FRAPS is a bit expensive. But as you pointed out the alternatives are pretty terrible.
- Sinxar

Why ive not done much video for the PC really. I used fraps for my X3-mod but I could only record upto 30 seconds per clip, plus I had to resize the video from 1080p to 720p (to cut off the watermark text). At that time I didnt have access to paypal and that, although £25 a bit much for me. I might of registered if it was like £5 or 10. My older gfx card had a component out, which I have HD recorder - that can record it to another pc. however my new card (670GTX) doesnt have this output Confused

I do have the option to record the PS3, although its hard to find something that no-one else has recorded already; usually there is already something on youtube.

Yea there are hackers. Its not something that can really be patched out, it comes from people using trainers for infinite health/stamina, setting all stats to max and things like that.
- Sinxar

I guess thats the down-side of PC gaming - easier for people to 'hack' the game. I dont know really why people got to do that, isnt it much better to play the game fairly?

No there is no mana, but you get a set number of spell uses. Resting at a bonfire replenishes the magics. There are rings that can increase the number of castings (by 50% I think) at the expense of half your HP. The catalyst I use has the highest magic adjust stat without reducing the number of castings available. There are a few that are more powerful, and I may try one in PVP sometime since i'm not really using that many spells.
- Sinxar

Sounds a bit crazy especially if you can die within 2 hits; reducing your HP to half means you can die in one hit? I guess the bonfire is some kind-of save point?

Again sorry for the long post, but I felt it was necessary so anybody reading this will have an idea of what humanity is/does and what PVP is about. And no, I didn't win any fights. Just a typical day lol. I'm working on a pure strength build now. Its coming along nicely. I just need to obtain some specific weapons and its almost ready for pvp.
- Sinxar

No problems, im sure it will help some out - more content is posted and more google will send to view your help. In-which you may see some viewers who take interest and post here. Its possible to find some more allies Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Sinxar your more than welcomed to post this content onto the gaming site - you may get you a few more viewers (although last time you said you didnt want to?).

You're a bit like me on the character screen, although I usually take much longer to decide my character lol. I can spend like 30mins picking options lol

Glad to notice youre not so shy when talking, early on you seem to be.

You always seem to be poking large monsters at the rear :p

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Looks interesting. I chuckled near the end when you referred to a Claymore as a "big sword", since I run around with a Zweihander most of the time ^^, I've been meaning to start a new character and experiment with other types of builds, maybe a cleric or sorcerer.
If you're going to be human for most of the time, will you be summoning guests at any point in your series? *wink wink nudge nudge*
EDIT: I just realised how old this thread is. Whoops.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
« 1 2 3 »

You need to log-in to post here.