A might be gone for a few days...

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » A might be gone for a few days...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

because of this:

Picture
A might be away for a day or two by Roguey000, on Flickr

:dance Roguey supporter

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

16GB RAM!!!!! Someones preparing for Rebirth

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hehe, if they had 32gb I would of seriously thought about it, as I learnt to put the most in you can (its always useful in later life). My old system started with 2gb, although I should of started with 4gb (ie. full the system up).

well ive stripped an old pc, so my current board will move into that and the new pc into my current case.

Picture
old pc stripped by Roguey000, on Flickr

I decided to go for this after reports that bulldozer has performance issues and rumoured to be delayed for 3 months.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

wel I got the new cpu, motherboard and ram into my existing case. I gave the system a quick check to see if it would power-up (normally this is when it would beep or scream if there was something wrong). I am glad to say it was okay - went into the bios and checked a few things and it was fine!

However I did not get time to start installing windows, so I ended up on my ps3 to play some games and report back. Ill post some picture when I have the system up and running - hopefully tomorrow. Its going to take me a few days afterwards to get everything back to the way it was.

ps. hopefully nova wont go on a hacking spree - as there is no admin atm.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Congratulation Roguey Roguey supporter Banana music

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

thanks tiger! Smile

I got the system up and running tonight (however only for testing), and it ran okay. Its a bit strange seeing it go from 1.6Ghz to 3.8Ghz, although the power-saving feature is nice to see. Some of the old benchmarks (3dmark01) went over 999fps - never seen that before!

Anyway, I am kind-of building two systems (my old one in another case for winky to use later). So having all the right bits can be confusing. The one thing I didnt work out was the HDD drives. I have 2 x 320gb and 3 x 500gb. I want to keep the 3 x 500gb together in a raid (ie. my bluk drive). So that left me with 2 x 320gb. I feel that these are overkill just to store windows on (atm in a second raid), so I think it would be better to put both 320gb into the older system, as c and d: one for windows/program files/etc. and the other for bluk stuff.

The guy in the store recommended me to look at SSD, however at the time I didnt know the price, how big they are or how good they are... I didnt even know if there was enough money for one - I just got the core components (cpu, ram, motherboard and the cooler (dont like stock-coolers). However... SSD didnt seem has costly as it once was, so I am thinking of adding a SSD (around 64gb for windows) then have a bluk store of 3 x 500gb.

However getting a SSD drive will mean the system will have to wait until next week before we can get one. I dont want to install all of Windows, drivers etc. to take it all out later... I need a new dvd-drive and some fans anyway... they changed the plugs from pata to only sata with this mb!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 12 years ago.

I saw it coming! Big grin
Well congrats on the new box! Now with the second I suggest a Networked FileSystem, so you have it like a storage server, this is useful for lot's of folks Big grin

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

here's an update on the current progress of things so far:

I have moved my old motherboard, cpu, ram etc from my case to the one I had stripped out earlier. So this is how my PC before any changes (sigh.. it was a good friend!):

Picture
My old system in my case by Roguey000, on Flickr

So... my old motherboard, cpu, ram etc. was then moved to the empty case - which didnt go to plan, as the spacers+screwed seem cross-threaded, so I had to remove the board again and find some more spacers/screws. This time they held the board correctly. This is my old mb, cpu etc in the other case:

Picture
moving homes by Roguey000, on Flickr

So now my case was empty.. time to put the new stuff in it. Its in a bit of a mess, but its working ... sort off.. its not got all the drivers, program installed. This is because I am changing the hard discs around later (the two drives (2 x 320gb) will be moving to the other case. This should give it some much needed storage space (originally the old case had a 80gb HDD - which isnt enough for windows 7, games etc,). Anywho... this is my new pc.. atm (yes, its in a bit of mess atm - looks like nova threw it out the window!) - heck looks arent everything.. right?:

Picture
The new system by Roguey000, on Flickr

Im missing 2 cover plates (a 5.25" and a 3.5" - I took them out ages ago, dunno where tey are now), and a DVD drive - ive been using a external one for now.. However I need my own DVD drive. Window task manager looks crazy now:

Picture
How many things can you do at once? by Roguey000, on Flickr

This chip is crazy and confusing. I started cpuid and it said 1600Mhz... my first thought was eh?... so I thought maybe its in low power mode or something? so I started compressing loads of stuff, then I noticed the Mhz jump to 3800Mhz. I guess its somethign to do with intel turbo boost... I thought i had brought a 3.4 chip (2600k), orlow it likes to over-clock itself.

The next thing I wanted to do is check this system to see if its okay - you never know its okay until you put it under some load, like games or benchmarking. If anything was wrong, nows the time to find the problems! So I got some old benchmarking programs on - my GPU started getting very hot. I guess its wondering what the duck is going on now.

Picture
early benchmarking the new pc by Roguey000, on Flickr

So went through most of the 3dmarks and made sure the system held together. 3dmark01 had quite a few 999 fps, whilst 03 went over 2,000fps in the air-plane tests. I cant really check the results of the benchmarks as havnt registered my copy of windows 7/have network support. On this install of windows I dont want to register it, as when a SSD drive is fitted (hopefully I can get some reviews/info on them over the weekend) this install of windows will be ditched. If all goes well, my system should be coming online on Monday.

Youre probably wondering how I posted all this here? well I borrowed wikys netbook so I could post here. I dont normally borrow it and PS3 isnt great as a web-browser. heck.. its been rather c**p using the PS3 as a main computer.. especially I get-up - checking a web-page can be so darn slow.

oh, and all my data is backed up on external drives. So everything will be back! I plan with the SSD to have that as my C drive, then raid the 3 x 500gb as D (ie. windows drive / bulk storage).

Anyway, I thought some may find my current status interesting. I hope your all doing okay! hopefully be back soon!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Nice system, the White case reminds me of My old Xaser V. looks darn close to it :P

hope you get everything setup soon :P

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

thanks Nethawk,

Well yesterday I had a think what to do with the HDD's. Looking at SDD's drives, they seem okay but with a couple of drawbacks: size (enough just for windows.. maybe a odd program nothing else), slower preformance when 60% filled (still fast but seems old) and the limited amount of writes.

After-which I looked at HDD's and amazed at what you could get for your money. I decided to get a WD black 2TB for main drive, then get another 2TB for a data drive (this one not as fast). Then with 3 x 500gb place them with my old motherboard (3 of the same could be RAID'ed) then the 2 x 320gb give them to dad (he has 1 x 320gb already, so he could RAID all 3 together). So this would give me 4TB, winky 1.5TB and dad 0.9TB. My system looked like a mess with 5 drives in it, 2 looks much neater too! hopefully ill be able to get them tomorrow!

The PS3 sucks for typing: ive had to re-write this message atleast twice! if you hold the shift key and backspace (sometimes happen when holding shift then pressing a letter) it deletes the whole message without a undo feature! The PC is so much better at web-browsing!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

1) SSD's are not really slower when 60% full. Your RAM isn't slower either is it? :P
2) SSD's are only good for fast access times (near 0ms). The trick is, once it starts loading stuff around it's just as fast as normal disks. But it "finds" the files very fast.

3) You're quite throwing around those disks Big grin

Let me suggest something:
Take 1 SSD for system and games/programs only (...make it work with 64GB).
Take another one for your father, do the same (or if he doesn't need speed, give him a normal HDD).
Take ALL other disks and put them in the old computer in RAID5 (if you buy even more disks, even better, you can get PCI SATA RAID controllers for ~30~60$).

Hook the old Comp (now running a HUGE raid array), into the home network, and make it the NFS server (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_(protocol)).
Now, just setup your other comps as NFS clients.

Voila, you have a home network that stores Terrabytes of files in one FAST place, leaving your computers to do something more inteligent (also, the old comp can now act as a "leech" server too Big grin ).

This setup will give you the most freedom and before anyone says anything: Wireless 56MB/s -> more then enough for....anything really. Wired: 100MB/s ++ (any further questions?).Also, having disks in a single place and a nice RAID5 will protect you from data loss most of the time Big grin

Also, about the new disks, I wouldn't bother with anything but WD Black Edition disks. I burned through a couple green ones cause they couldn't hold the RAID array and stress (lot's of access). So, now I just pay those 10$ more for a "real" disk Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

well ive was reading around and the thing with SDD's is when you want to delete stuff - sometimes it has to re-write a whole page of data just to add/remove 1 byte. I was hopping it would be simply a replacement without any strange behaviour, however I can see SDD arent quite there yet. It would be good if you could simply remove all your normal HDD's and replace them with one SDD @ 2TB. There be a time when this will happen, although its not quite yet.

as for dad's pc, found out today it only has 2 x sata ports which kind-of messes up the 3 x 320gb raid - stupid motherboard, you would of thought they put 4 x sata than 2 x sata!

I didnt know you used WD black, they look good on paper! I was thinking the green WD as data store drive and not for 'heavy' work. Putting two HDD's in mine makes mine a lot neater and easier to do. Two WD black are too pricey (there is a big price difference here: around half the price!). I had 5 HDD's in my old system before (1 wasnt even plugged in for ages!) - it was just a mess!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

After a lot of plugging and screwdriver work, I have managed to get the new system together. In my old system I used many smaller drives (some in a raid), which were:

Picture
My old drives by Roguey000, on Flickr

It was time to decide what to do with all those drives, SSD's etc. So I got these two to replace all of them:

Picture
The new hard disc drives by Roguey000, on Flickr

These two replace the 3 x 500gb and the 2 x 320gb. The older drives will be used in other systems. The black drive will be used as my main drive, whilst the green as my data drive. I also got some reinforcements:

Picture
Reinforcements by Roguey000, on Flickr

- A new DVD drive (this motherboard would only accept SATA and not IDE),
- Some new fans (some of the 6 year old fans were nosey and sounded bad),
- A new PSU for the old system (I like my Seasonic 600w PSU, so I kept it),

So now my system is slowly coming back - getting programs/data moved/installed however there is a lot to get through. I should be in the chat tomorrow now Smile Its been around a week to get everything moved, plugged and installed - more or less had 2 re-installs. Hows the system looking now:

Picture
My new system by Roguey000, on Flickr

Looks a little better than before eh?

[update] Ive had some problems with the WD-Black drive, ill explain more tomorrow. Although in short, I have fixed the problem! Big grin

[update2] I have posted what happened with my HDD on my blogs: here.

Oh... and I nearly forgot.. this is how my old system looks in the other case:

Picture
My old system, in another case by Roguey000, on Flickr

Its fine - just needs a copy of windows to work.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

In the past few days ive been replacing and sorting out my fans inside the pc. Some of them have LED's and make the pc look better at night. Its hard to get a good picture of the computer at night time, although this is how it looks:

Picture
My pc at night by Roguey000, on Flickr

One green fan at the back puts out so much light - somewhat over-powering the rest of the fans/lights:

Picture
PC with some new fans by Roguey000, on Flickr

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Oh, it looks really cool at night. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

thanks m8, moving a few fans around did help with the lighting. Some of the old fans did have leds but most of them broke after a few years. Im a little surprised led's broke to be honest - i thought they last forever.

Its a bit of old ritual for me, but when I get a new pc I run some of the old benchmarks on them, like 3dmark01se, 3dmark03 etc. However since I only upgraded the cpu, MB and ram I thought it was only fair to run 3dmark01se (which is more cpu bound than gpu). This is how it looks:

Never seen the fps hit 999 on any other system - and to be honest the fps in the video are lower than normal because of the recording (although only 10% roughly i think).

atm I have a 9800gt - which is still okay, although the cpu is being held back by it. I do plan on upgrading the video card later.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.