Future of PC gaming is here

Home Board Index » PC Gaming » Future of PC gaming is here

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Vulkan Working Group Update - December 18th 2015

NVIDIA: Vulkan Developers Day Draws Top Talent to NVIDIA’s Silicon Valley Campus

NVIDIA: Engaging the Voyage to Vulkan

GDC 2016: D3D12 & Vulkan: Lessons Learned

Carmack: "Seeing some really impressive improvements on early Vulkan drivers with native code, will win big when Unity and Unreal get support."

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Khronos Releases Vulkan 1.0 Specification

AMD: Radeon GPUs are ready for the Vulkan graphics API

NVIDIA: https://developer.nvidia.com/Vulkan

Intel: Intel Open Source Graphics Drivers Now Support Vulkanâ„¢

Imagination Technologies: Experience Vulkan graphics and compute at launch on PowerVR GPUs

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

hmm.. maybe im missing something but in the video you posted it didnt seem all that great? I mean when you look at something like GTA5 in 4k, the tech demo above didnt seem all that great. I did like the water effect, although the building textures/lighting looked some-what plain? Am I missing something? Vulkan is rival to DX12?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

The video above is running on mobile ARM SOC. Demo doesn't have to look amazing but still be extremely demanding and heavy - like for example CAD software. Vulkan is similar to D3D12 but it is open and cross/multi-platform API. Like Valve said there is no reason to use D3D12 anymore unless you want to lock your game to Windows 10 only.

EDIT: Here is more information about that video: "The demo is at the very early stage of development. As we are going to implement more features for GDC and then SIGGRAPH, you will see the obvious benefits of the API as we issue from 2-3k draw calls per frame and simultaneously produce dynamic cascaded shadows."
https://community.arm.com/groups/arm-mali-graphics/blog/2016/02/16/porting-a-graphics-engine-to-the-vulkan-api

You can write your game renderer today with Vulkan and it has all the benefits of D3D12 but works on Windows 7 to Windows 10, Linux, etc.

PC Perspective: Khronos Group Releases Vulkan... with a Hard Launch

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

OK, not about PC but because of Mobile World Conference 2016 there has been some Vulkan announcements:
Qualcomm Announces Vulkan API Support on the Adreno 530 GPU

Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 6.0):

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

ah, thanks for posting those videos; using the Unreal engine they look very good - a big leap in graphics. Geez, its the poor old consoles are starting to look dated - and they havnt been out for long LOL

I guess you dont know how DX12 competes with Vulkan? Isnt DX12 supposed to lower the CPU usage too? - not that we seen much that uses it. I guess the cross-platform support with Vulkan is one major advantage over DX12.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

I guess you dont know how DX12 competes with Vulkan? Isnt DX12 supposed to lower the CPU usage too? - not that we seen much that uses it. I guess the cross-platform support with Vulkan is one major advantage over DX12.
- Roguey

Yes, as far as I know D3D12 has the same features like lower CPU-usage (multi-threading), multi-GPU support between different vendors, etc. I don't know how Microsoft is going to compete but at least there are some points that are beneficial for DX12; DirectX and tools has a long history among game developers and Xbox One supports only DX11/12. DX12 got a good head start and Vulkan drivers are still under heavy development. Maybe Microsoft is able to use that time to push DX12 to developers on PC.

Being a cross-platform and an open standard are strong points for Vulkan. Additionally extension and open source drivers are pretty great features as well. Many Vulkan drivers aren't finished yet so it will take some time to get things to same level on all platforms. One interesting thing is what Apple is going to do - are they going to stick strictly on Metal or are they going to add Vulkan support too. Interesting to follow how things progress in upcoming months.

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.