Where's my cockpit?

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Where's my cockpit?

jon157uk

jon157uk avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hello everyone, excuse my ignorance because I'm very new to this X3 game, I just found it cheap on Steam and thought I'd give it a try. First impressions are, I'm not very impressed! Why hasn't my ship got a cockpit? It just looks as though your flying about in space like Superman or something, how can you possibly be sitting in a ship/spacecraft and not see any of it? No instruments, no controls, nothing.
Have I set the game up wrong or is it supposed to be like this?
If there is no cockpit in game, does anyone know if there is a mod anywhere for installing one please?

Thanks.....

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Your setup is fine, there are no cockpits in X3 Reunion. There are however mods to put cockpits back.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Just to warn you, I did not like the cockpit mods. I liked them in x2, but not in x3. Maybe Ego will make a good version in Rebirth.

jon157uk

jon157uk avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've put the cockpit mod in and roguey's mod no longer works, this is terrible news as his mod is a very big improvment on the default. I'm starting to wish I'd never bought this game, it seems very boring unless you just like floating around looking at space.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've put the cockpit mod in and roguey's mod no longer works, this is terrible news as his mod is a very big improvment on the default. I'm starting to wish I'd never bought this game, it seems very boring unless you just like floating around looking at space.

Thanks for your replies guys.
- jon157uk

I admit I thought the same thing when I first started playing. There's a huge amount to get to grips with because the series being long running, with each iteration adding something. If you can get over the first few hurdles where everything seems daunting, and get into the game actual, then it'll grow on you.

As far as any conflict between the mod conflicts, it may have something to do with the order in which they applied. Roguey should know which other mods his will work with. With respect to floating around in space though, there are a few ways to cut down on those boring bits. You may or may not know these next tips, so excuse any things of which you are already aware:

1. Increase your SETA factor from 6x to 10x, cutting down on travel time about about 50%
2. Jumpdrive is a must have item. Don't be scared off by the price or the energy cell requirements. The gains massively outweigh the losses.
3. Add the bonus material pack from egosoft http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3/bonus_en.php and hunt down an Afterburner.

Happy hunting!

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've put the cockpit mod in and roguey's mod no longer works
- jon157uk

Well two mods usually dont like each other. I didnt put cockpits in, as some people like without and some like with - I thought ill carry the style.

I think this comes down to X2 - where the cockpits where too big, and took a lot of the screen up. However in X3,+ they went the other extreme and removed them all.

X-games are hard to get into, and harder to get out of Smile

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

X-games are hard to get into, and harder to get out of Smile
- Roguey

Most true thing ever Big grin

Im starting to wish Id never bought this game,
- jon157uk

Now that's a bit extreme, even without cockpits the game is epic. I liked the cockpits, they seemed perfect in X2, but X3 should stay without, it seems 'right'

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Now that's a bit extreme, even without cockpits the game is epic. I liked the cockpits, they seemed perfect in X2, but X3 should stay without, it seems 'right'
- bozo64r

I think they should be toggle-able, so it's left up to the user whether or not they want them. That way a lot of trouble would have been avoided. Speaking of which..

@Roguey
Have you considered adding optional cockpits to your mod, or as a compatible additional mod?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Have you considered adding optional cockpits to your mod, or as a compatible additional mod?
- Seygantte

I havnt worked on the X3 mod for ages, however when I last said about re-working on it there wasnt much interest on the egosoft forums. X3 is kind-of quiet nowadays.

jon157uk

jon157uk avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

@ Seygantte :- I agree, switchable cockpits would have been a great idea. It feels totally unrealistic flying around space and not being surrounded by your ship, in fact to me it very much gives the impression that you're just floating around in some kind of spacesuit with a glass helmet on. Another point that I find very silly is how your ship just seems to spin around on the spot when you turn to the left or right, I find that very unrealistic too, surely it would bank to the left or right in a similar fashion to an aircraft?

I have taken your advice and added a few of the mods you suggested, it is an improvement but I have to be honest, I'm still finding the game very boring and I can't see any point in what we're supposed to be doing, when you get attacked you get shot to bits before you even know where the enemy is and when you're trading it takes light years to build up a decent amount of credits. I must say I still find the game-play side of it much better in X2 than it is in X3 but then of course X2 now looks very dated.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

@ Seygantte :- I agree, switchable cockpits would have been a great idea. It feels totally unrealistic flying around space and not being surrounded by your ship, in fact to me it very much gives the impression that youre just floating around in some kind of spacesuit with a glass helmet on.
- jon157uk

From what I've read, you're flying a small fighter aren't you? When you move on up to bigger ships, you'll find that you will have parts of the ship visible in your peripherals which makes it look better. Most M3s have it, and all M6s that I can think of. The weird effect isn't on all ships, so don't worry.

Another point that I find very silly is how your ship just seems to spin around on the spot when you turn to the left or right, I find that very unrealistic too, surely it would bank to the left or right in a similar fashion to an aircraft?
- jon157uk

No. Aircraft bank and then use the lift generated by the wings to help turn. Cars do the same thing when they turn around banked corners by pushing against the road. Spaceships, not being in an atmosphere, have nothing against which to push so must rely on yaw to turn, and therefore spin around their centre of mass. It seems odd to us because we are so used to seeing the way birds and aeroplanes fly on Earth, so we expect the same motion in all situations. It's realistic, even though it's uncanny.

Im still finding the game very boring and I cant see any point in what were supposed to be doing, when you get attacked you get shot to bits before you even know where the enemy is and when youre trading it takes light years to build up a decent amount of credits.
- jon157uk

If you haven't done so already, fill up your ship with as many shields as it can use and invest in salvage insurance. That way you can save mid-flight and revert if things go awry. If you want some easy credits at the start, try and find a TP and do transport passengers missions (easiest with jumpdrive), or station defence missions. They tend to be the easiest provided nothing too big pops up. The important part is to pick your fights wisely, and not engage large groups or heavily armed ships unless you're seriously good a dodging fire. If you're in an M5 and you see a Pirate Centaur or Osprey, chances are you're going to lose. Fall back and return when you're better prepared. If you can, try to save up for an M6 of your own. Many people use these as their player ships, and the Argon Centaur is a good all rounder (though the Hyperion is the king of the M6s, it cannot be bought and must be boarded). Also, don't forget to max your engine and rudder tuning at trading stations and shipyards. Good luck!

You need to log-in to post here.