new Xcom game

Home Board Index » Playstation 3 » new Xcom game

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 13 years ago.

So am I the only one that's a little upset that the new Xcom game is only being released on the 360 and PC. I would love to play this game on my PS3!

in eternity, forever lasts but an instant.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I hate that when it happens. For some reason the PS3 gets that sometimes.

What's the game about? is there something similar?

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

X-Com UFO Defence was the origional title. the came X-Com Terror From the Deep. both of these games are a mix of Real Time Strategy and Turn Baised Strategy. if you couldn't tell from the name, the series is about defending the earth against an alien threat.

the Microprose team did a few other games in the series. they tried a First Person Shooter called Enforcer, and even a space baised version of the RTS games called Interceptor. i don't think these two were as popular as the origional two.

the first game of theirs that i ever played was X-Com Apocolypse, or X-Com 3. it was another earth baised RTS, however, instead of having the whole world to play with, they limited it to just one city. this, in my oppinion, did not take away from the fun of the game. i have put countless hours of my life into these games, smilar to X2/X3.

if you really are interested, you can read more about them on line. their are sites out there that can explain the gameplay better than i could.

there is a dying out modding community for UFO Defence. users were trying to create a game that was similar in gameplay, but with better graphical models. fans of the series have been screaming for a new X-Com game for a long time. the new XCOM game, announced last year, dissapointed some fans. from the screenshots and videos, this game seems to be more of a FPS than the much requested RTS. part of this, i'm sure, is due to the developer, Microprose, having been disbanned. all of the origional creators of the game have since gone their seperate ways to different game companies.

reguardless, as a fan of the series, i will be looking forward to playing this game when it comes out.

PS: all of the origional games can be bought in a Steam bundle for about 10 pounds or so.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Sounds like a shame. I did look at the XCom site and watched a trailer. It seemed to be like fps more than anything else (a few bits looked like Fallout too). I did not see anything from real time strategy or turn based strategy as you described.

Was any reason given for missing the PS3 out? Most companies now normally include the PS3 into their releases.

I thing I noticed today, it looks like Duke Nukem forever is actually coming out soon on the PS3.

ps. thanks for explaining about Xcom.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well, from what i've read, although it is a FPS, you can still send alien bodies and weapons back to your "base" for researchers to pick them apart. that is one of the biggest parts of the game, research. pathetic human weapons have little effect on the space-hardened aliens(i guess). so one must collect alien bodies and technology to research weak points, and reverse engeneer their technology. although this may be a very small part of the new game, i'm pretty sure they will incorperate it.

not sure why it's not on PS3. probably a deal with microsoft or something.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Sounds like its similar to Destory all humans? but more serious? or, am I miles away? Just that ive played a few of them on the PS2.

I wondering if the aliens think our technology is so pathetic, why would they need to research weak points and/or technology? given there tech would be far superior. I know its a game, but never really understood that.

My only guess why its not on the PS3 is that maybe they not used to programming it?

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

part of it might be the programming. i'm sure that coding a game to run on a microsoft system, is completley different than coding it to run on a sony system.

honestly though, i think it's more about money. if the company that's producing the game(2K Games i think), has a contract with microsoft, then they will only produce the game to run on microsoft systems. unless a contract with sony is signed, they won't make the game for sony. it's all about the money man. unlike modders, developers and producers are greedy. they won't make a game for you unless your paying them. sony has to pay to get the game on the PS3.

also, part of the contract with microsoft might be that they cannot make the game for sony. microsoft might be paying them extra, just so that the game is exclusive to microsoft's system, thus making the xbox more popular. this is true to many game developers, the most obvious being nintendo. you won't see a mario or zelda game on any system except a nintendo. you won't see halo on anything other than an xbox. god of war, is a sony game.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 13 years ago.

I hate that when it happens. For some reason the PS3 gets that sometimes.
- Roguey

Sometimes XboX 360 too, but I think PS3 has many great games though, I really hate it when they make games only for PS3 or XboX 360, it would be much better if they make games for both of them.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

I agree, its not like both system are different in computer power. Often games look the same on both.

I guess you havnt got either snow? btw, nice to see you around still, its been a few days.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 13 years ago.

I agree, its not like both system are different in computer power. Often games look the same on both.

I guess you havnt got either snow? btw, nice to see you around still, its been a few days.
- Roguey

Again I apologize for another late reply I'm haveing so many things to do these days, but I'll be fairly free from Feb 14th or 15th... Although sometimes I'm here but I don't post just watching and waiting for a post to reply or something.

I guess you havnt got either snow?

No I haven't got one yet, but maybe soon, and maybe I'll pick'em both but I'll get the Xbox 360 first since my brother is insist Smile

KongRudi

KongRudi avatar
Level badge (5)
Posted 13 years ago.

I loved the Laser Squad and XCom-games back in the day, but I'm pretty sceptic to this new reimagining of the new one, especially the part of beeing a FPS with a FBI agent.
Could have just aswell been called XFiles - the Game..

The thing I liked about the old XCom-games were that we could research and build in our stuff in our bases, train your own soldiers and make up our own relationship with the crewmembers, and search the varios fight-areas for new equipment to research on and similar, something I don't see beeing as important in a FPS. :-/

Sure it could be a fun game in the XCom universe, but I do think there will be much less focus on the strategic elements, and more on the action-parts, and more linear.

Julian Gallop wich worked on the franchises back in the day, said that they were working on a reworking of the first XCom-game called Dreamland Chronicles, it were pretty faithfull to the original, except that the aliens had allready invaded - but then Virgin Interactive went down.
It had a similar turn-based system like Valkyrie Chronicles, third person movement, and jumped into first person view when shooting started.
A XCom game with the Valkyria Chronicles engine would be amazing. Smile
Gallop's latest game is a 3DS launch game, called Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, so if you want a new tactical game and have that platform, you should be good - but it's a Tom clancy-game, not XCom. :P

Personally, I think that we can just hope for the best, and that 2k manages to bring the XCom-franchise back to greatness, and atleast it will also be available on PC aswell.
Hopefully it's only a timed exclusive wich will come to PS3 later. Smile
The studio making the game should be good tough.
But from all I've seen from the trailer and heard about the story I still remain abit sceptical. :-/

But hope for positive suprise. Smile

You need to log-in to post here.