Will you re-new your free plus membership?

Home Board Index » Playstation 3 » Will you re-new your free plus membership?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I am wondering if anyone will re-new their free plus membership? myself, I havnt been to impressed with it - okay its free for a month, but there been nothing to make me want to re-new my plus membership. How do you feel?

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 12 years ago.

i looked through the PS Plus bonus ****. apparently you can DL full versions of new games to try them out before you buy them. unfortunatly i have a ****** internet connection, and a 60GB PS3. downloading full versions of multiple games onto my PS3 isn't really practical to me.

also, if you pay for the membership, you get deals on PSN games that come out.

lastly, you get to watch the PSN version of G4. they review games and such, and talk about playstation news.

all in all, i think it's nifty, but not essential. if i was on my PS3 a lot, had a 250GB HD, and a way better internet conneciton, i would renew. as none of those things are true, i'll enjoy the 30 free days, and let it expire.

Edit: Removed swear word. -bozo64r

in eternity, forever lasts but an instant.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I thought with the full version games you could try them for just 1 hour? if so, seems a lot of work to download a whole game for one hour worth of gaming.

The biggest thing I hate with plus membership is that you feel your always on a timer - if you get what I mean? ie. if you dont use your PS3, then you might be losing out on the time you get with a game?

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

yes, i understand roguey. i agree as well. that's why i don't go for MMO's that you have to pay to play such as WOW and EVE.

and no, downloading a full game just to play for an hour would not be worth it. i'm still trying to download "infamus", and i started it like a week ago. i don't leave my PS3 on all the time though.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

infamous will be well worth the wait m8 - its a great game with lots to do. The game has a really good upgrade system - I wont say more than that. I guess its a few gb's to download?

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

yeah, the game is around 7gb. not sure how fast my PS3 downloads, but i doubt it's over 100Kb/s. that's what my laptop gets.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hmmm.. that does sound a bit low (ie. 1MBit/sec - 8 x 100 = 0.8Mbit ~20%). Do you have any ideas what speed ur internet connection is? I highly doubt any ISP nowadays selling you a 1MBit connection.

I guess its the trouble with downloading massive games from the internet, you need a big enough connection to download it in a certain time.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

it's BT man. it has nothing to do with the ISP, BT owns all the lines in this country, and they decided to ignore my town when they upgraded the infrastructure.

reguardless of weather i go to Sky, BT, Orange Ect... i am only offered limited connectivity in my area, which is 2Mb-5Mb with a max expected 3Mb.

hopefully they remember us here and roll those fiber optics over this way. then i can upgrade my service to the 10Mb and get the new router that supposedly works better. till then i'm skrewed.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

oh that sucks. We had BT digging the roads up last year - it took months (on and off) for them to do the upgrade. They were becoming real pests, as they just turn up outside your door and block half the road. However we dont use BT but Virgin media at 10Mbit.

However if your are at 2Mbit, then:

7gb = 7,000Mbytes = 56,000Mbits / 2 Mbit/sec = 28,000secs (7.78hrs)
7gb = 7,000Mbytes = 56,000Mbits / 3 Mbit/sec = 18,666secs (5.19hrs)

100kb sounds more like 1Mbit to me (1Mbit / 8 = 0.125Mbytes, or 125kb).

You could switch your PS3 on and leave it for awhile (like when you get in). I guess thats trouble with a lot of this on-demand/downloading games, our ISP struggle to handle it all.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have a feeling PS3 will go the same way as xbox eventually and charge for using PSN. I don't have an ps3 so I do not know what it is like.
Talking of internet speeds, I am running a 50mbits/s Virgin Media connection, which Virgin are upgrading to 120mbts/s Big grin The connection is fine for the xbox, I don't however now what the difference is between the PS3 and XBox connection.

Do you use wireless or ethernet?

EDIT: Change spelling

You need to log-in to post here.