What the ship magazine

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Scripts and Modding » What the ship magazine

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 13 years ago.

You ever saw that ad? You ever thought it would be really cool to really have that magazine around? You feel the hundreds of different ships are too much to look through, just to find the one suiting you the most?
Well the answer is coming! What the ship magazine is going live. In and out of the game. With news stories about ships, actual pilot reports, statistics, ship photo-shootings, and all the other fun!

What am I talking you ask? have I gone completely insane? Well maybe....a little...but it's doable, easy and would be heaps of fun.
So what do you think? For a one-time fee of 10.000 credits you can have news-reports on ships in game. An offline HTML version would be great too.

NOTE: I really don't know what's going on with me...but I'm feeling WAY too creative lately. Normally I'm the silent coder, but since I re-registered on this forum I'm thriving with creativity and creational time.
I was thinking of making it a by-weekly issue. and including it in-game as a script (already there for the what-the-ship magazine, just a bit of an overhaul) and just adding the reports. As to not strain the upload of the server too much with all this updates, I would host it on my own if needed, and include it only every so often Big grin

So whatcha think?

NOTE: I got this idea from the guide I'm working on. I wanted to make a guide explaining the ships and their roles, but it's a bit much for a one shot. So making it by-weekly gives me the time I need to test the ship, make pictures edit a bit, and make up stuff. This way also the guide will be more focused on giving new-players a heads up rather then explaining details. A guide should in my opinion be small and easily readable giving out just the info you need to start out.

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I did think of something like this awhile back, although a little different. My idea was to let users/fans post news/information etc. to a site... into a log of like 20 entries maximum. When X3 was started, it could check the site for this log file.

Once the updated log file is downloaded, start X3 and play as normal. A BBS script could then load a article from one the log file and display.

This could allow people to post news, stories etc. into other people's games. The only trouble would be a program that checks a site and downloads the latest log file.

ps. The forum makes most people crazy - you arent got the t-shirt until your crazy Smile

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

This could allow people to post news, stories etc. into other peoples games. The only trouble would be a program that checks a site and downloads the latest log file.
- Roguey

that my friend is no problem at all. I can make a version in a couple of hours that should work on most computers.
The joy of Java Big grin
Seriously through, Java is for this kind of jobs the best language ever. It's easy to create, you have most of all libraries you need for this kinda job, and you can make a simple GUI in no time. So if you are serious I'm totally in. I am probably going to make the what-ship-magazine anyway, in a way. But I'd love peoples input too. I'd start getting a tad boring writing my own pilot reports Big grin
Through the magazine wasn't meant/suppossed to act just to introduce ships, but also include other interesting stuff, like weapons (the first edition will definetely have an article "IREs and you. What you should been told in pilot school about them"), fight tactics reports, like khaak fighters, and how to take 'em on etc.
Also I was aiming to the trader, showing of the trade ships, explaining stuff about factories (like I had to figure out the hard way that my 125MJ factory dosn't sell to the EQ dock.).
I am really aiming a bit high here, but am sure with the right planing we can make this a lot of fun for those who are writing it, and those who will read it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well I reckon this BBS entry could be kept separate from my mod, so it will work in vanilla or with other mods. I just checked X3 and it wont read from log file, just write to them.

This means that a language (t/) would need to be constructed. This makes things a little more complex but not too bad. ie. some web code would need to create the following:

Picture

The first entry being 1 - could be used to tell the script how many items are in this news post list. In this case there is just 1.

The next 100 - could be the starting of the news posts - I started at 100 because it would keep all posts in-line.

The xml file (on the server) would be updated when added to and not on each download. This would save some resources.

This code maybe best off this site encase it gets used a lot - you said you had some web space? does it support php/mysql?

One other thing I thought off, a modified version of the script could be made so that Terran Conflict can also display in-game news. I know it doesnt have a BBS system, but a hot-key could be binded which shows a random news post. The downloader would work the same for X3 and TC!

I also thought it could be made into a level 9. On this site it generates a code which can enter, so you can post news to the X-Games. This might help with spam/bad content being posted.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Wow, where do I begin.

The xml file (on the server) would be updated when added to and not on each download. This would save some resources.
- Roguey

That is of course a valid point and has to be considered. Not using resources too much is important.

well I reckon this BBS entry could be kept separate from my mod, so it will work in vanilla or with other mods. I just checked X3 and it wont read from log file, just write to them.
- Roguey

I think I got a way around this, but can't share for now.

One other thing I thought off, a modified version of the script could be made so that Terran Conflict can also display in-game news. I know it doesnt have a BBS system, but a hot-key could be binded which shows a random news post. The downloader would work the same for X3 and TC!
- Roguey

Well, if it works for Vanilla, it should work for TC too, so I agree. a hotkey is probably the best way, but I wouldn't know, and this would be left to you to script in.

I also thought it could be made into a level 9. On this site it generates a code which can enter, so you can post news to the X-Games. This might help with spam/bad content being posted.
- Roguey

Good idea, but I think the level is WAY too high. I'd say whoever is registered can post. but making a separate entry for it somewhere is a good idea.

A couple more things:
We have this so far now, going to write it just like that would be stupid. I'm going to make a kind of specification if you don't mind. So we have a basis on WHAT it's supposed to do, and what it's supposed to support.
I find this very important when developing, since from personal experience otherwise you hit walls, and never get to finish a project.

This code maybe best off this site encase it gets used a lot - you said you had some web space? does it support php/mysql?
- Roguey

I can easily support PHP, not mysql through. I've got postgreSQL running on my server, so if there is nothing mysql specific It will work, otherwise we'll have to make a wraper here and there Big grin

I believe we can make this something great, but it's gonna need a little planning and experimenting. and we will have to discuss a couple things.
Now seriously this would be much better discussed on IRC. the forum takes way too long to actually discuss something, so drop by there :P

I'm going to work on the specification and other issues I can think of for now. Gonna give a link to google docs once I got it down to something concrete.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 13 years ago.

**EDIT - Just read the bit Roguey put about BBS, see this as an extension :P**

What It could do is be programmed through a 'BBS System' and have to title of 'Egosoft Magazine' and tell you about a new update on a new ship you can download to the game. Would be good for rebirth.

One negative though is it would need a permanent connection to the internet and might slow the game down, although this could be loaded by having it so when you first load the game it has a screen that says 'Downloading' and it will place the new things into you game.

It would be annoying but worth it. Then the game is being updated constantly and not the same..... for instance a new weapon could come out, and there could be a script to make it the AI can but them as well.

It could have;

>New ships
>New weapons
>Updates
>Egosoft News
>New posts on a selected forum of your choice. (Probably be a bit annoying, you might dock a trading station trying to find a job and you get about 100 odd posts about egosoft.
The might want a drop down menu in a new BBS System, saying;
>Game
>Egosoft
>Forums
>All
>Custom (choose what you want) this could be in the main options.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Bozo64r, I like the idea m8. But this would take too much hacking for my liking. E.g. think about this for a minute, we'd have to hack the game launcher to allow the updating of these files.....not a good idea. Even more, when doing this we don't get support from egosoft, so if they change anything it's fsked for us. And then you have the windows/linux/mac problem. Want to have 3 versions of a program, hacking a binary launcher, and patching each time they change something?

I am aiming for a stand-alone simple program, that does this updates. Just run it whenever you want. With this there is no hacking involved, and if we make it in Java it's simple to mantain. I don't know about you folks, but this are 2 arguments that are very important in my experience. I hope I will stick around, but noone of us can really fortel the future, and having something as complex as hacking game launchers etc. to mantain is too much effort.

I have not yet finished the specifications, but I will take into account what you said bozo64r. I find the idea of being able to select what BBS'es we care about a good one, and it definetely can be done.

On the note of getting 100's of posts you don't care about...well not really, the way I thought of implementing it, would include using the BSS board by default, and this being ALL just one BBS message. This way you won't see more then 5 of these per BBS. it's also easier to mantain this way (again important), and not much more to code.

Also, having a stand-alone program, means no permanent connection is needed, you just update whenever you feel like it. oh, another thing. While this would be a stand-alone program, it's very possible to make it download the updates, and then have a button (or automatically) run the games-launcher. Again Java allows this to work on all platforms without many changes, all you have to do is once define where the launcher is.

Another thing, please join the IRC chat. pretty please, it will be much easier to discuss this Big grin

Ok, back to the specifications, I think I know how to make this work.

EDIT: What we have so far can be accessed here:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1iPE0xBVUMqciGD8Y-T1G_B-qhfxU_6gv5LpBBxHGB_U

ANOTHER EDIT: The last part might seem a bit of an overkill, but this are just guidlines, think about them for a minute, it's just natural, but it's writen to have a foundation for the future (maybe there will be heaps of folks joining...maybe Big grin ).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

erm.. I cant hack the game around to archive that.

The way I was thinking of making this work:

1. Make a bat file to run the update program, then X3.

2. The update program could download a 44009.xml onto your X3/t folder,

3. Now a BBS script could read in the 440009 file and read the entry at 1, to see how many text entries there are in the language file.

4. Randomize and pick one to display,

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 13 years ago.

I did not think about hacking... :P I was meaning it could be used for X Rebirth, an idea for Egosoft. (If they bring back the old BBS) On that point Roguey, can you make one of these, The next big thing that says 'Bring Back BBS' Smile

1. Make a bat file to run the update program, then X3.
- Roguey

I like this idea BAT files are simple and easy Smile

4. Randomize and pick one to display,
- Roguey

On that, would it be at random stations and hard to find, like you buying sector BBS on the mod? Or would it be at a set station?

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Ok, I got a little surprise for everyone.
But I kinda fear I've overstepped the issue a bit. anyway, check this out:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=301124

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

always a great idea to test the water before jumping into it - see how the community responds.

On that point Roguey, can you make one of these, The next big thing that says 'Bring Back BBS' Smile

It didnt seem to fit for me, although made some new sign smilies:

We want the BBS Roguey supporter Rebirth fan

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Ok, here is a little update on the ego forums poll.
I've got 4 threads and one poll running there. The interesting part is that there is not a single reply in the X3R forum. Some people in X3TC seem interested, and a few in X2.
The poll is in the creative (all threads got links), sadly the poll results so far are 2 that are willing to help out, and 3 that'd like to use it.
That's it so far...nothing at all else.
Altough together the threads have over 200 views. I'm a bit dissapointed, would have expected more. Gonna keep the threads running, atleast for the promised time (next teusday).
If it goes on like that, I'll drop the BIG project, but would still love to implement it in a smaller and easier variant for this site/mod.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well when you said about having 1000's of news posts, I did think you were being optimistic to be honest - although I could of been wrong (id like to be been). As may know or not, ive been in the X community for awhile now.

Awhile back, my X3 mod used to get loads of replies on the egosoft forums. However now I dont think I get one - I get a lot more activity here, than their. If I didnt have a X3 site, I fear the mod would of disappeared and no-one would find/use it. So really the mod is only alive still because of my X3 site (you are def. one person who wouldnt have the mod without the X3 site).

This is why I offered to use my site(s) for posting news to your database. Too much good content gets over-looked or not enough activity. This is another reason why I stopped working on the TC/X3 mods before - lack of interest. When I was working on v3.3, I had no one else submitting content - which was a first. It was a odd feeling.

I guess a lot of players have left the community for now. Rebirth will be literally a kick start. Just going by the rebirth site: one day it had more visitors than the X3 and TC sites combined!

However im not saying you should give up the idea, its a great idea. However I think scaling it so big could be a bad decision. If it got popular, it cold always be scaled up at a later date.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well when you said about having 1000s of news posts, I did think you were being optimistic to be honest - although I could of been wrong (id like to be been). As may know or not, ive been in the X community for awhile now.
- Roguey

Optimistic? That's understatement my friend. I was pretty sure we found THE solution to the BBS problem, and the whole community would jump on the train and help out....guess I was very wrong.

Awhile back, my X3 mod used to get loads of replies on the egosoft forums. However now I dont think I get one - I get a lot more activity here, than their. If I didnt have a X3 site, I fear the mod would of disappeared and no-one would find/use it. So really the mod is only alive still because of my X3 site (you are def. one person who wouldnt have the mod without the X3 site).
- Roguey

True that. Well, to be honest posting here is far more fun. It's less folks but more interested. And folks that don't have a problem with getting their hands dirty extracting a cat/dat to try things out.

This is why I offered to use my site(s) for posting news to your database. Too much good content gets over-looked or not enough activity. This is another reason why I stopped working on the TC/X3 mods before - lack of interest. When I was working on v3.3, I had no one else submitting content - which was a first. It was a odd feeling.
- Roguey

I know the feeling m8. happened to me a couple times, and I dropped the project usually.
It's a strange and saddening feeling. BUT, like I said, those of us who are around now, have ideas and are willing to work on the mod.

I guess a lot of players have left the community for now. Rebirth will be literally a kick start. Just going by the rebirth site: one day it had more visitors than the X3 and TC sites combined!
- Roguey

To be honest, I FEAR that. I want a playerbase of 1000 people that play a good fun game, develop, talk and generally act like a community. I DON'T need 1M people playing the game, most of them 12y old kids complaining a mission where they have to actually think is too hard, screwing up the gameplay, and making the forums unusable for anyone more serious/mature.

However im not saying you should give up the idea, its a great idea. However I think scaling it so big could be a bad decision. If it got popular, it cold always be scaled up at a later date.
- Roguey

I'm not. This application WILL go live. If it won't for anyone else. Well I'll use it. If you will too and bozo64r, it's enough for me.

With this said, I'm going to develop scripts, programs and anything else I can for this mod. And I don't care if it's just us using. Maybe even better :P

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

and the whole community would jump on the train and help out....guess I was very wrong.
- NetHawk

A year or two ago there would of been a lot more activity im sure. TC (being the last game) still gets a bit of activity (probably why you saw most responses there). In my experience: 85% of people visit a site/post, 10% download stuff and the other 5% download and post.

Its a strange and saddening feeling. BUT, like I said, those of us who are around now, have ideas and are willing to work on the mod.
- NetHawk

atm, we are rare now. I havnt seen a modeller for ages now (not 1). I know we dont always need them, but is it always nice to see new ships, like a Yaki/TerraCorp TL.

Im not. This application WILL go live. If it wont for anyone else. Well Ill use it. If you will too and bozo64r, its enough for me.
- NetHawk

This is one of the reasons why I wanted the submit code here because we do have a few members - not many, but a few. The other being it saves on coding- the user system wasnt a simply thing to code and took 3 re-writes to become what it is now. Having that code done already saves me a lot of time.

Im not. This application WILL go live. If it wont for anyone else. Well Ill use it. If you will too and bozo64r, its enough for me.
- NetHawk

Good for you, as you know you got my support and sites. Hopefully that's enough Smile

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Good for you, as you know you got my support and sites. Hopefully thats enough Smile
- Roguey

that's more then I could've asked for, and it's good to know you got my back with this Big grin

I know there are few people around, but I'm used to it by now. Being a Gentoo guy, I've seen the rise, fall and rebirth of an entire community. It has taught me much, especially it taught me, that if you have few people, that really like the project, it's far better then having thousands, that just want to use it and have it as simple as possible.

Anyway, times almost up, but I'm already working on the layout. Gonna try and make it as fitting to this site as possible.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.