Script editing

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Scripts and Modding » Script editing

dawinch

dawinch avatar
Level badge Noguey (0)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hello,

I want to do some scripting but am wondering what do you edit your scripts with...

- The in-game editor ? I think that's not for me. I find eclipse, vi, emacs or any other text editor better than that...

- A text editor ? Do you XML-escape your code yourself, that looks really painful to do...

- Something else ?

thanks

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there and welcome to the site,

Unfortunately I do use the in-game script editor - whist its not great, it does the job. There are many times I wish you could simply type in the code - it would be much faster. I guess this way you cant write something which doesnt exist in the script world.

There are a few external script editors - although ive never used any. I think nethawk was playing with one? You cant edit those scripts with a text editor because you have like 2 sections of code inside each script xml, one is like your normal xml language whilst the second block is sort-of coded (very hard to read). You can ask ego why they made it so complex, maybe something to do with script signing?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I am the same as Roguey I use the in-game editor, but if I want something bigger I see if someone else has made it and use Cycrow' installer o but it in instead of mucking up the game by accident.
Take a look at Ego Forums for script editing

I will agree with Roguey as well ask NetHawk he seems to know this, oh NetHawk where are you? :P

JessterG

JessterG avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

hi there and welcome to the site,

Unfortunately I do use the in-game script editor - whist its not great, it does the job. There are many times I wish you could simply type in the code - it would be much faster. I guess this way you cant write something which doesnt exist in the script world.

There are a few external script editors - although ive never used any. I think nethawk was playing with one? You cant edit those scripts with a text editor because you have like 2 sections of code inside each script xml, one is like your normal xml language whilst the second block is sort-of coded (very hard to read). You can ask ego why they made it so complex, maybe something to do with script signing?
- Roguey

Once upon a time I read about using the script editor to load or use a script or cheat. That was years ago. I want to load the community script "Utilize and repair debris" but do not know if it is among the scripts in the SE and needs to opened or if I need to download it from the egosft site. (I tried to download it but the website i was redirected to no longer has it. I posted my need on the Egosoft forum and was sort of called an idiot by Dr. Bullwinkle for not siting the thread. Another posted the script he thought it was and was right and I amended the post for DrB that the link is dead. He said that the author could be contacted to update the file etc.
I went back to try to use the SE and found a "move gate" script and tried to open it or load it I guess but there is no documentation at this time that I could find scouring the forum to actually use the script editor. LV and Cycrow go through the steps to get to the SE but then nothing on how to actually use the thing. I got to the point where the script name and the code is and tried using the "l" for load, which took me to a box with a lot od like commands and so on and then to another box etc. Regardless I was and am lost since I have no idea what I am doing in there. I keep finding threads that allude to using the SE but it never tells the actual procedure. (The frustrating thing, is that the links are from years ago and the moderators or scriptor/modders have been doing it since the inception. Trying to do a search "script editor" netted me nothing about the actual use of the editor. So I hope that you can assist me.

Oh. One more thing. I have now lost the "config"-something or other at the startup so that the game does not load when I click on the shortcut. My computer keeps crashing at startup but i have to wait for another month before I can get a new one so I'm stuck with reloading everything. Is there a way to save the entire folder or at least the patches and so on if I lose the config-thing again or when I get my new computer.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I am actually not an idiot. Just inexperienced.

You need to log-in to post here.