IonDs don't work against Heavy Centaur Prototype?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » IonDs don't work against Heavy Centaur Prototype?

Taullis

Taullis avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hey all,

My woes at trying to capture a Heavy Centaur Prototype have driven me to ask for help. Basically, I have my normal Centaur w/8 marines and loaded up with 6 IonDs to fry the heck out of the HCP and give easier boarding/keep my ship from getting fried.

However, it seems like each time I try (5 times now) I can get the HCP's shields down very quickly, but nothing seems to get fried after that even after nearly 5 minutes of continuous frying. Eventually his guns take me out and I still haven't been able to send my marines over. I made the rookie mistake of firing once after I sent the marines. :/

Also, I'm not seeing the lighting effect (X3AP v 3.0).

I wanted to cap the HCP before continuing on with the main quest line, but with the IonDs not seeming to do anything I doesn't seem likely.

Any thoughts on how I can cap this sucker?

- Taullis - (the new guy)

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I think you might be over estimating the Ions ability to fry off guns/countermeasures Wink In all my vanilla attempts to steal an HCP I've been at it for at least an hour :p

However, if you're not seeing the lightning effect of the Ions, sounds to me like something is wrong :/

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

For some odd reason when I tested the Ions my fry rate dramatically increased when I shot in rapid bursts instead of continously. May have been a probability prank though.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Boarding a Heavy Centaur Prototype can be a bit of pain because of the rear turret (x2), I have boarded one from Centaur.

IonD's do struggle against such a ship - they weren't really meant to go for M6,+ size ships. So you will have to keep trying to fry the ship (maybe two more IonD's might help?). Ideally you want to get them turrets gone - which will take a few lucky goes (ie. reloads). Once you get the turrets down then its easy to keep the IonD's on its shields for the marines / complete strip of the ship. Sometimes its worth doing a few shots to the hull, bring it down to 75% - hull damage has a good chance of damaging items too.

Its possible to board, just hard Smile

ps. Fighter drones may help when ordered Attack the shields.

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

I was under the impression that the IonD's do not damage the weapons on a ship, only the internal defenses. Hmmm...I need more study time for this I think.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

When I cap HCPs/Hyperions I just drop the shields with 2/3 Hammers and a few Flails from my Cobra/Gannet, then I use 10 marines launched via Boarding Pods, as Pods decrease the Level the Marines need to be to crack through a ship's hull. I don't even know the meaning of the word Overkill....

*EDIT @redheart Yup, Ions literally blow up everything on the ship (apart from the actual ship!), if you keep blasting away with them for about 3hours, the ship will literally have nothing left on it!

I will be the one to take you down!
Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Using Boarding pods is preferable in most situations because it avoids the marines being ejected all over the place. No point in launching marines if they're shot by the target ships turrets before they get even close to the hull.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Hammerit You're a game programmer?

I like you Smile

I will be the one to take you down!
redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

In AP I have no large fighting ships yet. The largest I have is Centaur and Heavy Dragon. Right now I feel that I am all about setting up my trade routes and getting a steady income coming in. Then I figure I will have plenty of cash to blow. However, I have been trying to train up 20 marines. Most of them are at 3 star fighting. Cost more in the beginning but I figure it will be worth it in the end.

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It's definitively worth every dime to train those marines. Better stats basically mean lower losses and less damage to the ship you're boarding. Some ships can't be boarded with low level marines since thy will not even make it through the hull. Training takes time so it's always a good idea to start as soon as possible so the squads are all set once you head out to capture those Xenon Is you've heard so much about Wink.

@Hammerit You're a game programmer?
- RandomTank

Yes, but I'm in no shape, form or other capacity related to egosoft or any of its drones.

You need to log-in to post here.