Why I hate Steam, and will never play Rebirth

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Why I hate Steam, and will never play Rebirth

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Roguey, when I start up AP, Steam automatically will start up and begin to download updates. I dont see any setting to stop auto updates, where do you see that at?

Like Hammerit said, right click on the game -> properties -> Updates, and youre see this:

Picture

Rottenflieger

Rottenflieger avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Roguey, when I start up AP, Steam automatically will start up and begin to download updates. I dont see any setting to stop auto updates, where do you see that at?

Ah I Think what you mean is that even if you have "Don't automatically update..." enabled, your game still runs an update when you click 'play'. This is because Steam tries to keep everyone's game compatible with each other's even if it isn't a multiplayer game, like X3. So with steam in online mode, you MUST update to play.

To solve this, you can either run steam in offline mode (which requires you to finish that update) OR download the nonsteam.exe already mentioned from egosoft. I use this nonsteam executable for modded games of X3 before the v3.0 update since my savegames won't be compatible with the new gamefiles, just make sure to make a copy of the game files in a new directory (ie not in steamapps>common>etc)

Mortimerex

Mortimerex avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 7 years ago.

Go to GOG.com you can buy non steam versions of all the X games including rebirth and its expansions. I hated the steam versions too.

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.