Why I hate Steam, and will never play Rebirth

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Why I hate Steam, and will never play Rebirth

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

So, I gave in, and installed Steam to my laptop, having bought the Humble Bundle, with the intention of installing AP and maybe even Rebirth when it comes out.

That's now NOT going to happen.

As some of you may know, I'm limited to a usb broadband stick for my internet connection at home. I figured I'd be able to download my games from my mom's, using her connection, and at first that was fine. Until I came home. See, Steam started, without my knowledge, without so much as a courteous notification, and continued downloading. Burnt through a £15 data bundle in 2 days. That data bundle usually lasts me a month.

Had I actually started the Steam application, MYSELF, instead of it's covert start-up, I would have no reason to complain. The very reason I didn't, was because I knew it would cain my data allowance. Valve have thought ahead though, so it seems.

I will now never play AP, or Rebirth. And the $6.00 I paid to do just that was even further waste.

F*CK YOU STEAM!

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

I know this is a tad late, but you can prevent steam from starting up when your computer starts in the options and if you disable auto-updates (in the game-specific options) it won't burn a hole in your internet budget either Smile. All steam needs is to be started once and verify your copy of the game using the internet. After that you can ban it from using the internet alltogether (via software firewall for example) and it will launch AP in offline mode. You won't get achievements or updates that way, but your internet budget won't be touched either.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Sadly, it's now too late. I won't risk having it on my machine again. No other programs I have installed are set to auto start by default, so why is Steam? If anything it should be off by default, with an option to switch it on, not the other way around. I had huge misgivings about using Steam in the first place, now they have been confirmed.

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

With the Steam startup taking as long as it does I kind of understand the decision why they have it auto-start by default. Otherwise if you wanted to play a game you'd have to wait for steam to start, check for updates, pick Gabe Newells nose and finally not start the game because it needs to restart after the update is done LOL.

To play AP you could still use the NoSteam exe though Smile.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

#Kirlack,
I appreciate that Steam has seriously annoyed & inconvenienced you. Even without the data limits problem I find it irritating that something starts in my computer and wastes my time advertising to me. But as you've now got the game I hope that you get around to it someday, especially as I was looking forward to a Community game for AP!
The download Hammerit mentions (Which I haven't yet used) shows in my machine as a 995K Zip file, and is available on Egosoft forum ||Downloads| X3 Albion Prelude >>> Bonus material, and shows as a 994k file.

Don't get 'Steamed Up,':exp Stay Cool! Cool

I am an Alien!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah, no. You both seem to be missing a vital point. I do NOT have the full working AP, not even half of it afaik. And since I've now removed Steam and all traces of it from my machine, probably not even that now. Hence the thread.

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Steam seems to emulate the technology taking over our lives. I think it's madness when combined with internet companies limiting the amount of data you can use. Damn communists!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Im sorry to say, but im dont really understand why people have such problems with steam. Okay, it auto-starts (by default - which is easy to change) - which I turn off (maybe so I limit things), and auto-updates (which can be turned off too) but other than that it shouldnt really cause too much issues? How come it carried on downloading lots more? were you doing X3AP in parts? cos wouldnt that take you months to download like that?

Out of all things, I do feel its a lesser-of-evils, at one point we had star-force which put in nasty system-drivers, that caused a lot of people computers to crash all the time. and it wasnt like star-force was the only one, we were having to install countless DRM systems. At-least with steam we get a community, shop, access to more games etc.

Im not saying steam is brilliant, I just dont understand why there are so many hate threads circling around on the net about steam.

I think you over-acted, and in doing so you, you wont be able to play X3AP? there is even a steam non-exe too. X3AP would give you so many hours of game-play, over large 3+ story plots.

Morcain

Morcain avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I haven't had any really bad experiences with STEAM, but I do sympathize Kirlack. I do hope you will give AP a shot anyway, I've read a lot of your posts (and all your DiDs) on ES forums, it'd be a pity to lose your input, especially for the newer generation of X players.

I have to add, I don't get how you guys (DiD writers) turn gameplay into exciting reads. I mean, my games consumes me and I get pretty immersed in the character of the gamestart, but what you do..Wow. Not to mention all the ideas and re-starts the stories have engendered.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

I kinda like the simplicity of Steam, making online with friends sooo much easier; my one gripe with it though is that it limits your download rate. A LOT. I have a 10Mb/s download speed on a wired router, but on Steam only lets me have 1Mb/s tops. That means I have to leave downloads overnight.... thank goodness for unlimited Broadband!!

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Okay, it auto-starts (by default - which is easy to change) - which I turn off (maybe so I limit things), and auto-updates (which can be turned off too) but other than that it shouldnt really cause too much issues? How come it carried on downloading lots more? were you doing X3AP in parts?
- Roguey

Unfortunately this was my first ever experience of actually using Steam....and it all rather backfired on me. I had downloaded part of AP, but had to leave my mom's to collect the kids from school, so I turned off the download and packed up my laptop. I had planned to finish downloading it this weekend whilst I'm there, but now I'm just not going to bother. Yes, it seems I can turn the auto-start and auto-update features off, but I've also heard stories from several other users that those settings flip back to default all by themselves, which will it seems cost me even more money. I'm not prepared to have that kind of software on my machine, period. Not even to download and verify the game so I can play offline via the No_Steam.exe.

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

How you get the no steam exe file? I have a broadband but want to play with out net

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

What I do is turn off my router whenever I'm not using it. Auto updates and backup files can't work with no connection.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yes, it seems I can turn the auto-start and auto-update features off, but I've also heard stories from several other users that those settings flip back to default all by themselves, which will it seems cost me even more money. I'm not prepared to have that kind of software on my machine, period. Not even to download and verify the game so I can play offline via the No_Steam.exe.

Well, since I had steam installed I have unticked auto-start, and ever since its not started up once without me either clicking it, or a game with it. I too, dont want steam starting up without my knowledge. Although I dont have to worry as badly as you about things.

Picture
Steam -> settings -> interface

I do leave auto-update on although, and this only happens when steam is running. It saves me looking for any updates for the games, once Im running steam. This can be changed, for each game.

I think you just had a bad experience, and shouldnt put-off by it, after-all x3ap is a good game with quite a few new additions, like bigger map, new plots, more ships etc. Especially if you brought yourself a copy! Steam does get some bad rep, but for the most part its not too bad. In your case steam thought it could download what it liked, but didnt know about your internet connection. Surely disabling auto-start and auto-update should cure the problem - which would of been a few clicks.

How you get the no steam exe file? I have a broadband but want to play with out net
- Scott

Its on egosoft bonus page, here. You still need to verify you game on steam, then you can apply the non steam exe.

Myself, Id rather leave the steam exe, steam doesnt cause too many problems for me, plus there all the features from steam, like achievements, friends lists etc.

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Kirlack, I totally understand your frustration and hostility towards steam right now. For the application to auto start and run your network allowance out with out you even knowing it is really not right. However, you paid the money for the bundle, mate, dont let Steam take off with your money. I know you dont want to, but you know it will be worth it for you to download the game and updates at your moms. The game is awesome. I know you dont want to hear any of this. I really do understand. I just would hate for you to let Steam win, and you miss out on an awesome game you would love. And since you are playing from a laptop, when you want to play the game, just turn off your computer wifi. I know it would not allow you to use the internet but it is the safest way to make sure it isnt allowing Steam online.

@Roguey, when I start up AP, Steam automatically will start up and begin to download updates. I dont see any setting to stop auto updates, where do you see that at?

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@redheart: Go to your steam library, right-click AP and select properties. Select the Updates tab and under Automatic Updates choose: "Don't ...".

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.