To Buy Or Not To Buy!

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » To Buy Or Not To Buy!

Maverick

Maverick avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hi Guy's,
Never played AP, been looking at it on Steam, seems you need to get the Terran War Pack to get it as you need X3 Terran Conflict as the base game I believe.

I have been playing Rebirth and after 200+ hours, I am totally bored with it!!! still enjoy my X3 Reunion, but can you guy's recommend AP?... i'm a little weary now what with all the hype and then the disapointment of Rebirth as to whether I should buy it?

Can anyone give an idea of good and bad points before I commit to going for it... I guess I'm just looking for reassurance as to it being worth the £20 for the Pack?

Thanks in advance
Mav

Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.
Stephen Hawking
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Compared to X-Rebirth, X3AP makes XR look rather poor. If you get the war-pack (which includes X3TC (base game), is another very good x-game). With those two you probably have the two best X-games. Swap-ships, explore, build, trade (that actually works), build huge empires etc.

I can understand why you are wary, however probably a lot of people probably brought XR on the strength of X3AP/TC. Just take a look at the meta-critic scores of each game.

Maverick

Maverick avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Many Thanks Roguey, for putting my doubts aside, much appreciated

Stephen Hawking
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

No problem at all, just put it this way; I have 482 hours on X3AP, whilst 75 on X-Rebirth. Albeit some hours havnt been tracked (due to test-builds) however that should give you some idea how much game time ive spent in both.

Martinez90

Martinez90 avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

AP is great. I've seen only it's intro but you'll love the game Big grin

MSI GT70 PE2 Dominator Pro: 17,3 inch - 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2,7GHz - 3,7GHz on Turbo, 16GB DDR3 CL11, nVidia GTX 880M 8GB, Intel HD4600, 1TB 32MB 7200RPM HDD, Windows 8.1 64bit
Maverick

Maverick avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thank You Martinez

Stephen Hawking
Martinez90

Martinez90 avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Here's the intro. Game is technologically more developed than TC (multi core support, so there will be less lags).

MSI GT70 PE2 Dominator Pro: 17,3 inch - 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2,7GHz - 3,7GHz on Turbo, 16GB DDR3 CL11, nVidia GTX 880M 8GB, Intel HD4600, 1TB 32MB 7200RPM HDD, Windows 8.1 64bit
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Here's the intro. Game is technologically more developed than TC (multi core support, so there will be less lags).

- Martinez90

That is false. There were some performance tweaks done, still only single core though. But to be honest the games aren't really that demanding to begin with. Its build up on the old game engine and apparently there is no reasonable way to make it support more than one processor. Since these games are so old, there is also little hope of getting content updates or bug fixes (Still waiting on the bonus pack CAG for AP fix Egosoft...).

Martinez90

Martinez90 avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I've read somewhere that game has technologically advanced over TC. Oh well, my mistake :P

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Sinxar, as for getting content updates, I'm working on a tough mod now (it should be available within a month or two maybe). Wink

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@Raptor Hey bro can you add me to steam, beherith123 is the id i may need some help.

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

-Andrew Ender Wiggin
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Hi XeNoN, I'd be happy to help whenever I can, please ask any question in the forums here and I'll give the info I have. Smile but for steam, sorry mate I don't use my steam account to be honest, and even rarely use my egosoft account, lol I know it seems a bit odd but for x-universe I prefer to help and get help here instead. Roguey supporter

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
MrThingy

MrThingy avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Maverick,

Looks like we're in a similar boat, having recently started my X experience with rebirth, but going backwards to previous versions in the hope of getting a better gaming experience.
I bought the terran war pack recently from Steam and have done about 40ish hours on TC.
Being released in 2008 means that TC doesn't look amazing, but... the game is SO much better than Rebirth.
Yes it's slow to start, but for anyone without ADD that's not really a problem and is a nice pace for you to find your feet.
The best thing for me is the progression rate. I spent about 10 hours doing combat missions, earning money until I could afford a freighter (which are much cheaper than in Rebirth), then did some trading until I could afford a cheap station, and so on. Every progression feels like a real success.
Now I need to build my empire further in order to afford bigger ships as the smaller ships get shredded in seconds by the larger ones, unlike Rebirth.

enjoy!

Maverick

Maverick avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks MrThingy...

Just received my copy today, looks like it's a big load.. taking ages to update, but I'm sure that just goes to show how much better the game will be.

I think, but not sure, that I still have to install Albion Prelude, as it just says Terran Conflict at the minute and I didn't click to install AP, only TC so far... even though it used both discs?

But anyway, can't wait to get started.

Many thanks for all your input Guy's

Stephen Hawking

You need to log-in to post here.