Too many missiles?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Too many missiles?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

What do you think? im finding they are bit too many and each one is powerful. I know that you good bang per buck, but heck being on the receiving end of all these missiles isnt too much fun (me in a M6):

What's your thoughts?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I can fire from an M7M, about 3-5 missiles/second, and with a payload of 500 very strong missiles it quickly wipes out an enemy M1/M2 ship.

Too many missile in my eyes!!!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I feel the same. I have a real problem with Hammer Heavy. Hammer heavies can be hard to destroy in smaller crafts: meaning that the hammer can easy take down M6/3 ships (300k damage per missile). Usually those ships would simply out-run the missile but with of a top speed of 300m/s, its impossible to outrun.

I think the M7M class has became way too powerful now, it needs a bit of a rebalance. Its not nice if your on the receiving end of M7M!

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I prefer being in an M7M, I can comfortably sit 10km, away from the main battle, and take out all the capital ships..... easily done Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well atm, im the poor bugger in that ship 10km away.. even 25km away! All I can do is jump sectors Smile

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

They have done quite badly on this point. Try using Mosquito Missiles or the Terran equivalent, to knock out some torpedoes.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Thanks m8, I will try that!

Bman

Bman avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yep, looks like they've pretty much planned for Mosquito Missiles to be the choice of defence. I think they are a bit OTT, fair enough on larger craft but they need some equivalent to traditional defences like Chaff, Flares or EMP for smaller craft.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

My feelings too Bman. When you get away from the M7M the battles are usually quite fair (M6 vs M6 etc.). Its just when a M7M pops in, it launches wave after wave of missiles. Its good to see the M7M doing something now, but rather it was limited back a little - like 1 missile every 3 or 4 seconds. Then battles would be great, the extra hull really makes things better.

Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

I feel that AP is all about choosing your battles carefully instead of just going in and expecting to win every time against insane odds like I did in TC. That is accomplished by both the tweaks to the missiles and the increased hulls.

If there is an assassination mission or defend mission too difficult for my Griffon I call in my Cobra and magical things happen. If I want to Crusade through the Xenon sectors to pick up psp's I jump into my Cobra and majical things happen.

When I am on the receiving end I just use the Cobra's mosquito missiles to fight fire with fire, otherwise wait until missile boats launch a whole lot of missiles your way, jump to the opposite side of the sector before they get to you, wait a couple of minutes then jump back to where you want to be.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I guess... but if you dump 200 Hammer heavies on a M7M is there any ship that can hold out? You'll probably find that 200 Hammer's will take-down like 5-10 capital ships. I feel missiles are really putting out a lot of damage compared to any other weapon in the game.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

For myself the problem is the RRF, they seem to arrive with 2-6 Gladiators whenever I enter an Argon sector (including non-warzone borders).
The SSCs on the Aegir can cope with the Tomahawks being launched at it but I just get overwhelmed if a Minotaur/Aquilo turns up or if I'm in the Kyoto (which makes them go berzerk).
It all gets a bit...
Picture

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

Might pay to source a bomber of your own, load it up with mosquitoes, set it's turrets to missile defence and command it to protect u.

As for RRF, has anyone found that Terran RRF Osakas impossible to defeat without obscene numbers of missiles?

I was dualling one with Boreas, only to have it jump out when it was at 50% hull, fresh one jump in in it's place and bombard me with like a trillion Shadows which forced me to jump to the opposite end of the sector.

Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

I guess... but if you dump 200 Hammer heavies on a M7M is there any ship that can hold out? You'll probably find that 200 Hammer's will take-down like 5-10 capital ships. I feel missiles are really putting out a lot of damage compared to any other weapon in the game.
- Roguey

Yeah, but what will happen if you bombard a present day carrier with 200 cruise missiles?

The heavy missiles are the most powerfull weapon in the game. But it is not overpowered due to the fact that you need a large missile complex to keep the missile frigate supplied and the fact that there are effective countermeasures.

My Cobra effectively costs me 250m credits because of the large missile complex that I've built in Antigone Memorial.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I guess thats something more of us should try: an M8 with mosquitoes, set to missile defence. I guess some missiles will need a few mosquitoes to take down? as with gun-fire some missiles can take a lot of hits.

Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

I am almost 100% certain that it only takes 1 mosquito to take down any missile up to and including the Hammerhead heavy and the Firestorm torpedo.

Mosquitos are actually very effective. My Cobra only had a load of 200 mosquitos and they lasted me hours before needing a resupply.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.