Joysticks for all x games.

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Joysticks for all x games.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I just bought a joystick, gonna use it for Flight Sim X, and hopefully the X games. Has anyone used a joystick? How is it for the X games?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, always have done.
Works a treat but stay away from cheaper sticks, the generic store's own brand things are on a one way trip to landfill.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I have ordered this one:
SPEEDLINK Black Widow Flightstick

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I dont know much about joysticks, I use the old keyboard for x-games. I find that way you got all the controls at hand, although I know some like the old joystick/joypads.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Fewer buttons than the Logitech, so you'll need to make some tough decisions as to what you're going to map onto them.
It vibrates which mine doesn't, don't know if that's important to you.
Personally I have the strafe controls (4), weapon selection(2), missile launch, turbo boost, turbo extension and jump drive mapped on mine.
The trigger is always 'fire lasers' so that won't change.
I have one unmapped button, in TC its mapped to UFJD.
Link

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Button Mapping
That is what I have thought could be mine. What do you think I could put in the no ideas.

One thing with having the throttle with X, last joystick I had I had to have it at half way for no speed, and when you pulled back it went to the X games -10... that will annoy me :P

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, the poll was meant to say 'Other' not 'Over' :P

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

The blurb says you have 8 buttons on it.
4 on the stick, 4 on the base.
The black 'button' you have your strafe on is your HAT switch, not tried altering that from the viewpoint default.
Fire lasers and Fire Missiles is the same as mine.
I would drop the 'select missile' button, it tends to become the 'unequip missile at difficult moments' button.
If you can't put strafe drive on your HAT switch it would most likely be mapped on the base buttons.
That leaves the 2 red buttons on top of the stick;
You don't need SETA on there, or map selection, those are for when things are calm and you've got time to reach out to the keyboard.
You might put a couple of weapon configurations on those - Full weapons and economy/capping fire for example.
The switch at the front of the throttle is intended for rudder in flight sims, I suspect that defaults to your roll in X3, I have twist grip for this.
If you can differentiate between tap and hold you might be able to double map buttons. Jumpdrive would be a prime candidate for a button if you can.
If we do get UFJD you want that in the easiest to reach place, furthest right button I think. When the **** hits the fan and you want out that's the way to go.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I will keep that in mind, I mentioned about the speed of the ship, with the throttle, when the throttle is in zero position, i will be going -10, i will have to keep it in center position... is this the case and if so how do i change it?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Not sure how it works on the one you're getting, the X3DPro tends to auto divide the ships speed into the throttle's degree of movement, so for a slow ship 0m/s is slightly off vertical, whereas a Kestrel 0m/s is slightly off horizontal.
On the Springy the vertical position is about 230m/s.
As a rule the faster the ship, the twitchier it gets, and docking computers are mandatory for anything that can move 250m/s+.

jccpsc

jccpsc avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I just use a 7 botoms mause and the keyboard.
I have a joystick but I only use it on old flight sims like F22 raptor for ex.

JCC

You need to log-in to post here.