Stock Exchange Madness

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Stock Exchange Madness

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hey its me again. I just started playing AP a few hours ago. Got kinda bored with my current TC game.

What do you think of the stock exchange?

I started as "Teladi Trafficker" to shake it up a little bit. I usually start as "Humble Merchant" but the Argon bore me. Anyway I repaired my Vulture and did a few trade runs. Didn't take long to get some speed upgrades... man that Vulture is SLOW. Something like 46 m/s base speed. Eventually I got a bit over 20k credits with a decently upgraded ship. This took maybe an hour of trading. I finally stop in the stock exchange and pay the man 10k credits. 2 hours later im sitting on 133 million credits. I feel like im cheating. Is this normal!?

All I was doing is buying from the "Natural" group. I noted that some of them, the index would go over 100 then drop to 20 or 30. Once I got around 5 million I started doing this with multiple wares and the credits kinda piled up very quickly. It was uncommon to come out with less than 2.5mil profit per ware in just a few minutes.

Obviously I can't buy much in the way of ships/stations yet but do you guys use the stock exchange? Am I cheating? I thought there was a nerf included in the patch.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

I started as "Teladi Trafficker" to shake it up a little bit. I usually start as "Humble Merchant" but the Argon bore me.
- Sinxar

Should've went Bankrupt Assassin too really shake things up Smile
It was a really fun start for me.

I've dabbled allot into stocks after the patch. I Just didn't agree with the stock exchange exploit before the patch. In my current 250+ hour game, I've noticed all my stock indexs', never climb from 20 to 100+. But I'm sure my games economy might be a bit different. You did start a new game, so it will take time before the economy stabilizes to more comfortable ratios. "God" will have his hands in the cookie Jar soon enough, and probably stabilize everything.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Terran Commander start;
Before the patch we had to scale back on missions.
As a Terran I can't unleash UTs and STs are confined to Aldrin and Twisted Skies.
Complexes are only really possible in the outer Solar System, so the Stock Exchanges were the only real source of income during 1.0.
Having said that I didn't go in for the exploits so my income has remained quite low.
On the subject of Naturals it sounds like you were trading at one of the Bull Markets, (Seizewell?) other markets are a lot less profitable.
On the Bulls I'm buying at >85 and Selling at <60 so there is potentially less profit that way. I have seen a few trades go into the millions for profit, but mostly its around 500,000.
I've Ditched the Bear Markets, (Ministry of Finance, Patriarch's Conclusion & Senator's Badlands) as everything just sits in the red with little or no movement.
I'm still trying to get into the Companies, though never seem to have enough capital to make it work.
I haven't had enough time on the 1.1 version to say how much it's been affected, but we have got missions back so overall income shouldn't be too badly affected.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn&#39;t mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I havnt really looked at to be honest - not much fun seeing a wall of numbers. Its not like its explained very well either... I rather go board a ship for 30 million - M7M are good sellers.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

You were correct

On the subject of Naturals it sounds like you were trading at one of the Bull Markets, (Seizewell?) other markets are a lot less profitable.
- Ripskar

Seizewell it was.

I'm done with AP already. Done as in waiting for next patch. I was simply doing some combat missions, the generic type and magically got the plot mission. now the commander wont shut the hell up.

So just to see what it was all about, I made a cute little fleet of falcons with 2x Osprey. Basically me in an Osprey with everything else attacking my target or protecting.

I get an update, Treasure Chest is under heavy attack from Terran forces apparently. I jump in, seconds later my wing joins me. wheres the terrans? ok so i search around system for quite some time and finally just give up. i jump out and suddenly "Attention, one of your ships is under attack - Treasure Chest". Note that im still right on the gate. I turn around and boost back through. a single terran m5 is sitting there and fleet is dead.

I get an announcement that Elysium of Light is under attack and they need backup. I jump in (im still right on the gate where my fleet died to an m5) and there isnt a single terran ship to be found.

Really?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, no AI ships in the warzone if you're OOS.

It isn&#39;t mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, no AI ships in the warzone if youre OOS.
- Ripskar

That is unfortunate since they can't all go through the gate at the exact same time. How a single m5 managed to kill 5 falcons and an Osprey in less than 5 seconds is beyond me. Perhaps thats why its so easy to make cash with the stock exchange, so you can replace your entire fleet when it follows you through a gate.

I guess i can make a new TC game. Prolly will go with a harder start though and much more boarding will be happening this time around.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, no AI ships in the warzone if you're OOS.

- Ripskar

For me (an Terran), things have gone a bit too crazy. Look at this lot hanging around at this gate (just crazy):
Picture

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

:eek Must be Treasure Chest or Omicron Lyrae...
If you can't jump the ships out dock them before you go OOS.
Of course that won't work if you're moving from one warzone sector to another.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Those are not my ships, but the enemy (Argon) ones. I think its Omicron Lyrae, so its near impossible to attack it any-more.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

OL only has 2 Colossus a Titan and few M7 in my game.
Being Terran it's not somewhere I can really stop to admire the scenery though. The orbital platform is still rather fond of missile spam and there's usually a few Gladiators about.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Anyway.. think we gone a little off-topic :p

I really need to look into the stock exchange sometime Smile

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

I divide the Stock Exchanges into 3 groups;
BULL Serving 10+ sectors, Naturals are usually <50 Index.
BUFFALO Serving 5-10 sectors, Naturals are usually 50-100 Index.
BEAR Serving <5 sectors, Naturals are usually >100 Index.

I don't trade naturals on Bear markets.
Buffalo Markets I'll buy at >90 and sell at <85.
Bull Markets I'll buy at >85 and sell at <70.

Bear markets are easier to manipulate than bulls due to the lower numbers of commodities involved, they'll often see larger movements in commodities.
Never buy shares where demand is None.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

basically im gathering that something is wrong with my game. nobody else seems to have issues with a fleet following them in war sectors and my stock exchange is highly unusual in how the naturals behave.

Ive been checking around the egosoft forums for info about this and very few people report what I experience. Most are the buy at 90+ sell at 70 or less.

I feel like what I did was cheating anyway, although its legit use of the tools given to us. Not like im cloning PPCs or using SETA for a week (not technically an exploit, but unnecessary).

I think the issue is that there is a hard limit to the prices and no market uncertainty. I can understand why but it seems like its programmed for an unlimited price market. Like when the index reaches 100+ why would you sell all your shares? It should be the exact opposite. you should be in competition with the NPC traders. When the index gets high, shares are harder to get, when its low they would be more plentiful due to the high cost.

I mean imagine if the floor traders IRL did this. You could just walk in and make millions off of them within hours. Buy high sell low... somebody needs to slap those NPCs around a bit.

ed: thought i should add - watch those jumpdrive components. Its slow to change but I caught it multiple time at index 200. OFC this makes all the NPCs sell their shares so you buy all those up too then wait until it drops back down to 5 - 11. Usually 11 is the lowest it goes in my game but I have spotted it at 5 before.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Your text goes here..
you should be in competition with the NPC traders. When the index gets high, shares are harder to get, when its low they would be more plentiful due to the high cost.
- Sinxar

The price of shares reflects demand, they are low because nobody wants them, or they are high because everyone is trying to buy them.

Bman

Bman avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Even after the patch seems easy to make $$$.

I max out buys on anything red (>=100). And Sell 30-70 depending on market. I pretty much only trade Naturals. This method may lock up a few mil in the bear shares but it also lets me find the bouncing ones quickly so I’m in an out of many shares frequently and pulling ~$300K on average a trade. I’m only on ~7 markets at the moment but that means I’m moving about 10 trades every hour or so.

I first go through the list I own and sell anything that hits my rules, then I go through each market & look for buys. Rinse repeat.

I have about $30m in the market, goes up $2-$7m each market I unlock.

Consistently best one for me is Nyana’s Hideout assume since it covers the Argon war sectors. But pretty much any Market with a large number of sectors seems good.

I am planning on seeing how much I can make by building up a fleet of Mistral super freighters and fly into Parinid sectors for one of the markets and land at all the Majaglit factories, buying up rock bottom shares in majaglit then buy every last Majaglit at the factories and see how much I make; then send the mistrals out selling everything again and make cash on the trades too. I could then move my fleet onto the next exchange sector and whatever ware is crashed there. Key here would be to find a ware with massive stock availability giving the max ratio of return.

Based on above, if I buy 281K Majaglit shares at $9 and sell it at $63 I’d turn $2.5M into $17.7M. I reckon this will be sustainable until I have some major complexes up at which put I should be able to turn my fleet into UTs as the ‘plex should be cranking out the $$$. Then it’ll be time to swap to Rebirth Smile

Definitely see trading as a game mid point cash injection i.e. begining phase you don’t have the $ to trade seriously and the end phase you have wads piling up from ‘plexes so why bother.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.