Stock Exchange... do you use them.

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Stock Exchange... do you use them.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have invested now 27million credits (all i had) into the stock market. I put a Satalite in the stock exchange's and kept monitoring it. I now 51million credits Big grin I bought all 172000 shares in a company, and that is steadily increasing after paying 10 million for the shares it has a net profit of about 2million at the moment, I calculate at least 20 million net profit if the shares reach highest point.

What are your dealings with the stocks and shares?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I quit AP for various reasons (that I complained about here) but I did the stock market thing when i had an upgraded Vulture and a handful of credits (Teladi Trafficker start). The funny thing about this is that it was apparently nerfed but I have yet to see any difference. That thread should be near the top still i think...

Anyway yea I used it and it kinda broke the game for me. While i like credits, I didn't have to work for them at all and made insane profits.

I wanna play through it... where is 2.0 when you need it!?

here it is, save you the trouble of looking for the post (if you were going to).

Hey its me again. I just started playing AP a few hours ago. Got kinda bored with my current TC game.

What do you think of the stock exchange?

I started as "Teladi Trafficker" to shake it up a little bit. I usually start as "Humble Merchant" but the Argon bore me. Anyway I repaired my Vulture and did a few trade runs. Didn't take long to get some speed upgrades... man that Vulture is SLOW. Something like 46 m/s base speed. Eventually I got a bit over 20k credits with a decently upgraded ship. This took maybe an hour of trading. I finally stop in the stock exchange and pay the man 10k credits. 2 hours later im sitting on 133 million credits. I feel like im cheating. Is this normal!?

All I was doing is buying from the "Natural" group. I noted that some of them, the index would go over 100 then drop to 20 or 30. Once I got around 5 million I started doing this with multiple wares and the credits kinda piled up very quickly. It was uncommon to come out with less than 2.5mil profit per ware in just a few minutes.

Obviously I can't buy much in the way of ships/stations yet but do you guys use the stock exchange? Am I cheating? I thought there was a nerf included in the patch.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Im not much of a fan of the stock-market: a wall of numbers isnt very exciting for me. I have also put X3AP on hold: mainly as there is no Terran plot (started as the Terran Commander). However I do plan on restarting when v2.0 comes out, and ill pick Argon so I can do the plot.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't use it as often after the 1.1 patch.
Missions are more lucrative. I think Egosoft responded too powerfully to the concerns of SETA exploiters rendering the SX of little use to anyone who doesn't exploit SETA.

As for the game in general, I'll probably be adding the plot from the Terran Revitalization Project at some point.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I have never taken advantage of SETA to get money. I always let it do its own thing. It is handy when you buy shares in a company, it tells you if the shares goes up or down, if you buy the stocks of a ware.

DmytroRudoy

DmytroRudoy avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mth61cfnn8ssbat

Here is my chart in excel that i got from Stock Exchange - i use it to determine where the demand is the greatest and and possible incomes and so on, (it is on day 16!!!). There still a lot of that i will add later on, for my personal use (i am not even sure what is more fun for me - playing the game or making this type of charts). I separated Terran and CommonWealth since that annoying war zone does not allow my Trading Stations to transfer goods effectively - so i just treat it as separate economy.

Also i would like to hear any ideas that are easy to accomplish - to make this charts even more useful in managing your trading network.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't understand how to use the chart... :P

And god do I hate Pivot tables... drive me crazy.

DmytroRudoy

DmytroRudoy avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yes, this chart is hardly helpful for stock exchange, but very useful for deciding where to build your complexes. Or if you like to "cheat" - where to import\export a lot of material to manipulate stock prices. Or deciding in which direction to set up your trading station network. But since my chart was made on day 16th of game play, it is probably useful only for those who want general outline (i wish somebody posted something similar, but since nobody did - i created my own)

Triscopic

Triscopic avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have a love/hate relationship with the stock exchange feature. It's great for getting started quickly in the game - my biggest problem with the X series was always in getting enough seed money together to start building complexes and getting multiple ships decked out.

On the other hand it does sort of feel like cheating. I very quickly racked up my first 50 million credits just by buying at company stock at 98-100 and selling once it hit 90. I then started to hold onto stock until it hit the 60s and fairly quickly brought my cash up to 250 million. At this point all I owned was my starting Nova Prototype, a fairly well charted galaxy map (I had to do something) and one well used SETA.

So I'm torn - it's great to have a new, easier way to get started (as it's complex management, fleet building and sector invasion that I've always found to be the real fun) but it does feel a bit too easy. I'm glad there's a limit on the number of company shares available as that at least caps the amount of exploitation. I think I'd rather have it than not have it though.

(fyi, first time posting, but a very long time fan of the site, Mr R)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there and welcome to the site Triscopic.

hmmm.. I can see what you mean about its kind-of cheating, especially if youre sitting there with 250 million in an Nova. For me I wish they put the effort into something else than the stock-market.. what about sub-systems, or the return of the BBS or something? A stock-market wouldnt be something I would personally pick to put into X, after-all its confusing enough without a wall of numbers Cry

Triscopic

Triscopic avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

"...the return of the BBS..."

Yes, I was very sad not to see that, especially as there are scripts for TC that did it which showed that people wanted it back. I was actually very surprised to find it hadn't made a comeback to be honest.

(I like the "new" mission system but that doesn't mean BBS has no place. Far from it.)

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Indeed with the war I'd have thought BBS would open all sorts of new possibilities.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Alpharius77

Alpharius77 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

I quit AP for various reasons (that I complained about here) but I did the stock market thing when i had an upgraded Vulture and a handful of credits (Teladi Trafficker start). The funny thing about this is that it was apparently nerfed but I have yet to see any difference. That thread should be near the top still i think...

Anyway yea I used it and it kinda broke the game for me. While i like credits, I didn't have to work for them at all and made insane profits.

I wanna play through it... where is 2.0 when you need it!?

here it is, save you the trouble of looking for the post (if you were going to).

- Sinxar

Like a guy on the Egosoft board said. If you dont like the stock exchange, or any other perceived exploit, the answer is simple. Don't use it. Shouldn't let that stop you from playing the game altogether. But thats just this guys opinion. Anyway, to each his own. Happy hunting.

"Courage will carry you only so far; overwhelming firepower will take you the rest of the way" -- Unknown Infantryman
Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I use the corporate stock exchange because, due to combat being my primary interest, I don't have the economic influence to affect individual wares. I currently have about 100mil invested in it, and I usually make a 30-50% profit depending on the company.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

It is a great feature to get you started. It is limited in how much you can make, with the exception of using the hauling exploit. I dont bother with it anymore, as I only make around 1M per transaction, but I do use the Corporate exchange for larger, yet slower profits.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I had a turn in a good direction on the markets, my shares in companies went up! I was happy, I had invested over 250million credits, just looked at my Net Profit, and it seems I have 56million net profit, an they don't seem to be going down, although knowing the X games they will.

You need to log-in to post here.