Little advice needed

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Little advice needed

DarrenStephens

DarrenStephens avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Ok first let me explain my situation. I currently have 12 UT's zipping around the map making me a slow and steady profit, I currently have about 15 mill in the bank and i want to now concentrate on fighter size combat to get a grip of the size and scale of the fights.

After reading several posts on ES official forums alot of people seem over eager to get into cap ships ASAP which i do not want to do. I want to start small and work my way up through the ship sizes over time. So my question to you vets here is, with my budget can you guys recommend a decent combat ship and some decent weapons or should i concentrate on making more cash first? I'm not looking to get the best fighter with the best weapons and shield for months and months but i need something with a bit more clout than my starting discoverer. This way i think i will definatly appriciate the better ships in game once i finally obtain them.

Thank you in advance and expect more questions over the next few weeks.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there,

well different people will recommend different ships, as some can better for others. Myself:

5-10mil area - Argon Centaur (great step up from a fighter),
10-15mil area - Argon Heavy Centaur (the bigger version of the Centaur),
20-40mil area - Split Tiger (for damage[updated]) or Griffon Sentinel (for a mini-carrier),
40-100mil area - Argon Boreas (for big damage),
100+mil area - Boron Megalodon (massive damage),

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

If we're talking about player controlled ships, then I'd recommend the following:

For a fighter, I'm going to plug for the Eclipse. It's not the one people usually go for, I like it because it has such high shields for its class and that it can mount Ion Disruptors in the the fore array. Brilliant shield stripper.

For an M6 I prefer a Split Dragon over the Centaur. It's weapons generator is 50% more powerful and it's also faster. Granted the shields aren't as strong, but I'm presuming as a player ship you'll be able to dodge most fire.

Similarly the next step up (which I like to think of as M6+) I'd pick the Heavy Dragon, for mostly the same reasons.

Once you get to boarding though, try and go for a Hyperion Vanguard. It's a clear winner for an M6 player ship. (Eclipse using IDs would make this rather easy if you have a TP also)

There on upwards, I agree with Roguey.

20-40mil area - Split Cobra (for damage) or Griffon Sentinel (for a mini-carrier),

- Roguey

You may be underestimating the cost of acquiring and outfitting a Cobra. Since he's stated he's not interested in cap ships atm, I'm guessing that he's not up to boarding an M7 yet so it would have to be bought. That's just over 50mil right off the bat. To buy, outfit and fully upgrade a Cobra, I'm going to guesstimate 90mil not including missiles. On the other hand, if I happen to be doing everything the expensive way I'd like to know the short cuts you guys are using.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

The Nova Prototype you start with in the Terran Peacekeeper plot is one of the best M3s in the game. Until I got the Skiron, I far prefered this ship.for combat missions than even the Centaur. I now mostly fly my Cobra and Hyperion, but that ship was a great M3 and could hld its own against most ships.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

You may be underestimating the cost of acquiring and outfitting a Cobra.
- Seygantte

Doh.. I meant to say Tiger.. I got the two mixed then Smile

Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

If we're talking about player controlled ships, then I'd recommend the following:

For a fighter, I'm going to plug for the Eclipse. It's not the one people usually go for, I like it because it has such high shields for its class and that it can mount Ion Disruptors in the the fore array. Brilliant shield stripper.

For an M6 I prefer a Split Dragon over the Centaur. It's weapons generator is 50% more powerful and it's also faster. Granted the shields aren't as strong, but I'm presuming as a player ship you'll be able to dodge most fire.

Similarly the next step up (which I like to think of as M6+) I'd pick the Heavy Dragon, for mostly the same reasons.

Once you get to boarding though, try and go for a Hyperion Vanguard. It's a clear winner for an M6 player ship. (Eclipse using IDs would make this rather easy if you have a TP also)

There on upwards, I agree with Roguey.

You may be underestimating the cost of acquiring and outfitting a Cobra. Since he's stated he's not interested in cap ships atm, I'm guessing that he's not up to boarding an M7 yet so it would have to be bought. That's just over 50mil right off the bat. To buy, outfit and fully upgrade a Cobra, I'm going to guesstimate 90mil not including missiles. On the other hand, if I happen to be doing everything the expensive way I'd like to know the short cuts you guys are using.
- Seygantte

I wouldn't put the total cost of Cobra without missiles at more than 60mil, you have to remember that it can only fit 3 1 Gj shields and 2 FAA's. The real cost of an M7M lies in the missile complex of good size, the one I built in Antigone Memorial was more than 200mil from memory. As for M3 I would recommend Aamon Proto, it's shields, energy generator and speen are good. To get the ship u will need to complete the Albion Plot.

DarrenStephens

DarrenStephens avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Thank you for your advice guys. Great stuff!!

It's the weapons thats confusing me the most now. Seems to be so many types.

So i bought the Argon Centaur and maxxed its shields. What weapons are a good choice? don't forget i do not have billions in the bank. Also how to defend against missiles? I cant seem to find any kind of countermeasures for sale like decoys or chaff ect.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Hi there,

You will probably find these two guides useful for weapons (I know they are for X3TC, but they should be more or less correct for X3AP):

- Weapons Guide by wathman00,
- Missiles guide by me,

For a Centaur I would probably suggest:

- Front: High Energy Plasma Thrower or Concussion Impulse Generator's (although they may drain your wep. energy too quick),
- Left/Right/Back: Particle Accelerator Cannon's (set on missile defence/attack all),

I know thats a lot of missile defence but in X3AP its kind-of needed. If you set turrets to missile defence they will attack other targets after defending your ship, however if you're finding very few missiles are being sent after you switch the turrets to attack all enemies. The reason why I suggest PAC's on the left/right/back is they are quite fast projectiles with okay damage. IRE's are very weak, as well are Phased Repeater Gun's. HEPT's on the sides will be very slow to track targets.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

My preference for the Centaur is:

Front 8x Concussion Impulse Generators.
Turrets PACs with a customised "Missile Defence" order.
Using the mosquito missile defence command from the X3AP bonus pack for obvious reasons (I try to keep 100 mozzies in my cargo).
A bunch of wasps.

I've tiered the loadouts so that I can swap between 2, 4, 6 or 8 at any time.
Doing the maths, the CIGs have the best damage/energy of the Centaur's weapons, and it can keep 4 on continuous fire, so that setting I use for taking cap ships. The CIGs push fighters and TS/TMs when they are hit, so their trajectory will change. As such, many shots will miss if you just hold down fire, which is the downside of using them. With fighters I get in close and do burst fire with all 8 CIGs and try to get them in one shot or two (and finish them off with a wasp if it fails). For M6s and up it's usually as easy as finding a safe spot and not stopping shooting.

If you go into the Gameplay menu I believe, you can customise the orders of turrets. I usually keep mine on missile defence, which I've set to prioritise targets as such:
1. Missiles
2. Fighters
3. Any other enemies
That should mop up any fighters which aren't finished off by the CIGs

- Weapons Guide by wathman00,
- Roguey

Dear oh dear, why isn't this in alphabetical order? Also there's a display error for the numerical stats on the Ion Disruptor.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

My preference

Springblossom it's Fast !! and has prototype weapons that go on & on & on that jst keep firing.

360 m/s. standard without pandora's boxes mine flys at 423m/s with turbo 693 m/s.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I always thought the Springblossom had the wrong values... I mean a M6 travelling at 360m/s is crazy!

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Not Really you can get from A to B slot quicker Poke

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I always thought the Springblossom had the wrong values... I mean a M6 travelling at 360m/s is crazy!
- Roguey

I agree. Are all Aldrin ships a lot faster than the rest of their class? It might be a trend.

Keep in mind that Aldrin ector is huge, from what I remember in TC it is, I have not actually been there in AP.

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Roguey !!

Next you will be saying driving on roads at 70mph is way too fast.!! Poke Poke Roguey supporter

DarrenStephens

DarrenStephens avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

Great advice guys i fitted my Centaur up with a full rack of CIG's ect and got the missile defence on my turrets. My first real fight was awesome, I killed quite alot of Terran small ships while several cap ships were pounding on each other all around me. The fight was going well until the Terrans brought in more Cap ships and outnumbered the Argons, I decided to bug out when the second Argon cap ship exploded... but i bugged out, out of missiles and my hull at 23%.

Fun Fun Fun.

Darren

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Next you will be saying driving on roads at 70mph is way too fast.!! Poke Poke Roguey supporter
- suzukigsxr

Erm... well 360 (metres / second) = 805.297065 mph.. thats kind-of fast for a corvette. :p
I doubt the police could even catch you - going ten times faster than the speed limit.

My first real fight was awesome.
- DarrenStephens

No problem! You got to remmeber you only have a corvette, so you got to be careful. There's a lot more bigger fish out there.. and equally some great battles to look forward too.

You need to log-in to post here.