Capping my first ship

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Capping my first ship

SilusCrow

SilusCrow avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 11 years ago.

So I think I'm getting TOO ambitious with what I'm aiming for in terms of capping ships. Never captured one before, but I'm setting my sights on a Pirate Brigantine over in Veil of Delusion. Seriously, thing's just sitting there begging me to capture it.

The problem occurs when I look at the ships I'm bringing to the party. I've got a pair of Argon Centaurs, both with HEPTs on the front and PRGs on the turrets (Working on chaingun complex at the moment), a Cerberus currently kitted out with only 6 Flak Artillery Arrays (Left and Right turrets, one on the up and one on the down), 10 fully kitted Thors rocking 45 Poltergeist Missiles a piece, backed up by 10 EMPCs each with 5x25MJ shields. For a boarding ship, I have a Sirokos and 22 marines in training with Combat stats between 2 and 4 stars.

So, I suppose what I need to know is this:

1. Boarding Pods: do I need a pod-per marine?
2. The target: For a first time cap, is a Brigandine too lofty a goal? And if so, what's a good thing to aim for?
3. My fleet: Aside from lack of turrets filled on the Cerberus, any noticeable glaring holes in my offense/defense that I ought to be aware of?
4. Kitting the fleet: Any suggestions on alternate armaments for the Cerberus and Centaurs?

Edit: Since money isn't really an issue for me at the moment, would ion weapon to fry all the weapons and systems and whatnot be a viable option?

Edit2: Or would a swarm of Fighter Drones be a better plan?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi there, welcome to the site Wave

well.. to capture a ship such as a Brigantine (M2) you will need a M7M really; it will be hard work to board with a M6. The reason is that M7M can hold up-to 20 marines (enough to successful board the M2, M6 can only hold 8 ) and can use boarding boards.

Boarding pods send 4 marines in a missile like projectile at the target - which is much faster to get there than kicking them out of the air-lock. You can send multiple boarding pods to send all 20 marines.

However the M7M will need some way of getting the shields down to < 10%. M7M can do this with Hammer and Flails however they arent in massive numbers. The only way to get a good amount is to build a complex to make them. 3 or 4 of each missile factory should be enough to produce enough missiles. However this is extra cost.

IonD would strip a target such as a M2, however facing a M2 would be tough due to their weapons and shield regeneration.

Hope that helps,

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Boarding pods send 4 marines...
- Roguey

Did this change from TC?
TC boarding pods can hold 5 Marines.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

oh, ops, maybe its 5.. I havnt played X for abit since GW2 and D3 Smile

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

LOL...just checking.
Once I get AP..."that" is one of the things I'd need to know...if it was changed.

SilusCrow

SilusCrow avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well, aside from the Sirokos, I don't have much in the way of missile frigates just yet. Looking for more of those nice station defense missions to put my Cerberus (Hekatonkheires) work with. Thing's kitted out for murder (Flak Arrays and PBCs) so a bunch of pirates won't really be an issue. Just need to find that friggin' mission...Always "Patrol here!" or "Kill this so and so three sectors away!'. *Annoyed grumble*

Anyway, just bought me a Tiger. Any suggestions for a loadout that can help it drop anything M7 and under and give a M1/2 a run for their money? Was thinking Flak arrays on the top, bottom and rear, Ion Shards on the broadsides and IBLs on the front.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Flaks are always good for anti-fighter protection, although for anti-capital im thinking something like the Boron M7 maybe an better choice, seeing has it got 10 x PPC on the front.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Anyway, just bought me a Tiger. Any suggestions for a loadout that can help it drop anything M7 and under and give a M1/2 a run for their money? Was thinking Flak arrays on the top, bottom and rear, Ion Shards on the broadsides and IBLs on the front.
- SilusCrow

Ahh, the Tiger. My favorite personal ship! Love

My "standard" loadout rips anything M7 and smaller to pieces...
Front: ISR-ISR-CIG-CIG-CIG-CIG-ISR-ISR
Aft---PBE's or PRG's for anti-missile defense. PRG's are better if you change their command to "attack my target" while taking on other M7's, better range and effect.

Left and right, top and bottom: I pick one "set" for FAA and the other for CIG. I use to keep the FAA top and bottom but I changed that and I think they do a little better mounted left and right with "attack fighters" command. The CIG's can be changed to ISR's, which work well also.

IBL's eat up a lot of energy, pretty quickly, on Tigers. Be careful using those.
Mounting 8 in the main will drain your energy after just a few shots.
Mounting a pair left and right, with "attack my target", has worked pretty good for me against Q's.

For M2 and M1's---missiles!!!
I soften up my capital targets (M7's too) before I get within weapons' range.
I fire off a couple "cheap" missiles, like Typhoons, to get the target's attention. When it turns to face me (comes after me) then I use Firestorms to get their shields down some. Then I make runs at the target to use my weapons.

Most of my 'enemy' capitals are Xenon or Pirate Carracks.
None of these seem to mount anti-missile weapons up front so this 'Typhoon/Firestorm' missile attack works quite well.
**Fire missiles from a distance, then move at an oblique angle toward your target. Continuing "head-on" your enemy will open fire, when you get into range, and this can unintentionally take out the Firestorms.

Tigers have decent speed and maneuverability. While going against capital ships for a weapons' attack, I am able to avoid most of their large-weapons' fire---meaning I come out the other side with most of my shields intact so I can turn and attack again without having to wait for my shields to recharge.

Ahh, the Tiger Kiss

edit: I just noticed this is an AP post. But I checked the Tiger's stats and they are the same as TC.
PAL would make a huge difference against M2's and M1's...I just don't know if they are any more available in AP verses TC.

SilusCrow

SilusCrow avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well, good news, just capped myself my first ship, that Brigantine I mentioned earlier. The Galleon apparently didn't wanna show up, which is probably for the best.

Thing dropped to 82% when I sent a Flail Barrage to keep the shields low and act as a distraction when the pods rushed in.

So anyway, anyone have any good loadouts for a Brig?

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Same as any m2 as far as I know I got my brig loaded like a typical m2 ppc front Gauss sides and cfa or faa top bottom cig or whatever in tail

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well, good news, just capped myself my first ship, that Brigantine I mentioned earlier.
- SilusCrow

Congratulations on your first boarding Smile

So anyway, anyone have any good loadouts for a Brig?
- SilusCrow

Surely PPC's would be better on the front and left/right, as they have slightly better range than the gauss?

SilusCrow

SilusCrow avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 11 years ago.

Figure I'll save the Gauss for the Shrikes I'm gonna get. Gonna go with FAA and PPCs for the Brig though.

In other news, capped me a second Brig and a Hyperion. Got my eyes on a Shuri as well. Just waiting on Marines to be trained and missiles to be stockpiled.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

sounds like you got the boarding bug - once you get it, your be boarding everything in sight :p

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah. I don't own a capital that I didn't board, other than the Cobra I bought. I have well over 2 Billion in cash, but it just feels dirty to buy capital ships rather than do the work to board one.

I haven't played in quite a while now. I should go back and play some more. Maybe find and cap a Valhalla, since I think I never did get one of those.

You need to log-in to post here.