OOS Defense

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » OOS Defense

Raydekk

Raydekk avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello,

I've been searching through egosoft's forums and roguey's, and couldn't find any solution to this.

I usually build self sufficient complexes and set my end product price -1 from the average. These complexes basically sell 1MJ Shields, Weed, Spacefuel, Microchips, Computer plants, Quantum tubes, etc. Complexes range from 20 to 100 stations with one exception - my Sector patrol complex of about 200 stations, used for equipping M2s with shields and weapons(also self sufficient, able to fully equip 3 M2s at a time).

I have complexes in all races' sectors, including Pirates, Terrans (Argon start) and Yaki (IBL Feeding with Mistrals). I'm trying to be friendly with every race, including Pirates (have all races at lvl 10) - except Xenon ofc.

For Border sector defense I use M2 Boreas equipped with PPC(22), FAA( 8 ), CFA(2), PBE(6) and IC(2). I'm not sure if this is the best choice for OOS, but none of my Patrol Ships were ever destroyed, and if I ever feel like invading and holding a Xenon Sector, I might recall a few of them Smile

The problem is, my OOS ships are attacking friendly "Red" pirates like Duke's Transporters that come to buy my wares because of the Defend Sector command. I want to avoid that. Defend station doesn't work, the ship just stays idle, unless the pirates attack the actual complex hub and not a station component. Also, Defend Sector in a pirate sector changes to Invading sector - and the ship is no longer protecting the sector or the station, and stays idle. The only "global command" that works in every sector is "Attack all enemies".

I've seen some workarounds like placing a satellite and ordering the ship to defend position. It might work for small complexes, but it's going to be a pain for large ones, plus I'd have to increase the number of patrols/sector.

Since I no longer need SETA to generate credits, I guess I could set all my Sector patrol ships to defend themselves, and just watch out for "One of your stations is under attack" warnings. Any ideas?

P.S. I am playing vanilla X3AP.

Raydekk

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm a bit rusty on these kinds of things, but I have a few ideas.
Firstly, do all pirates appear to you as red all the time? If so, check your "foreign policy" at the base of a ship's autopilot, including your own ship. If you see pirates set to foe, they will appear red and be attacked by aggressive autopilot controls, so step 1 would be changed to that. If it's set to friend, but pirates ships are still showing up red then look at the "show as enemy if enemy to me" setting. If that's set to true, then your ships are attacking them because they are aggressive to you. This will be true even for Duke's ships, in that they are pissed at you but don't actively engaged as that's not their instructions.

If that's the case you can try setting this to false for your patrol ships, which should force them to ignore any "hostile" unless you've specified them in the friend/foe setting. If they ignore pirates attacking your bases during this time, try plopping a few laser towers around them to help. They're not great OOS but they have been improved. I'd then suggest doing some missions for pirates to improve your rank with them, as pirates have their own unlisted rank similar to all the other races. If you're at the point where Duke's ships are blue, then you should be there. I think some pirate raiding parties may still attack you, but it will stop you from shooting down everyone willy nilly.

Another idea which might not work would be using the advance satellites. This feature should be in vanilla, but if not it'll be from the bonus pack (signed scripts from Egosoft, so the game remains unmodified) which everyone should get. You can hook them into an early warning system (SEWN), to which you can then assign a number of task forces that get called when enemy ships (and you can specify which classes trigger it, along with audio and/or text warnings) enter the range. If you put a satellite near the bases, hopefully the task force will only attack ships that get too close and not go crusading through the sector. The nice part about this one is that you can spread task forces over many sectors, and still get fast response if you give them jumpdrives and keep them refuelled.

All/some/none of this will work, I had no idea. Enjoy testing and let us know how it goes Big grin

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Raydekk

Raydekk avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the reply Smile

All my ships (including my own) have everyone set to Friend, except for the Xenon. I've even done missions for pirates and Duke to get them to blue and it worked. Somehow, after a while, Duke's and the pirates became red again. I don't do "kill pirates" or protect stations missions, only station building and passenger transport. During this time, all my patrols had the "Defend Sector"/"Attack all enemies" command on.

My best guess is that one or more aggressive Pirate patrols encountered my sector patrols or attacked my complexes and the Boreas quickly dispatched them, leading to a decrease in reputation and making Duke red, then leading to a bigger decrease in reputation since the patrols destroyed every Duke and pirate transport.

I don't remember tampering with the "show as enemy if enemy to me" setting, but I will change that to false. Maybe it will help.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Make sure you turn off: make hostile, if hostile to me on each ship. However your ships still can turn hostile if they are attacked by those ships. I had the same thing but with Lasertowers; they went hostile to Terran, in Terran space! I lost a ton of rep.

However sector defence isnt great in X-games to be honest.

Raydekk

Raydekk avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

Done! that was it. Thanks Smile
I will do a couple more Pirate & Duke missions just to be sure.

However sector defense isnt great in X-games to be honest.
- Roguey

In X3 Reunion I used Argon Centaurs as sector defense, and I do remember losing a few of them (like one or two out of 30-40).

In X3AP I'm at the point where there's no 'real' need for credits. I've got 15 fully equipped Boreas in border sectors, 10 M7 Astraeus Haulers in Core sectors and planning on adding Kyotos for sectors next to Xenon space. Haven't lost any ship or station yet, but maybe because I'm mostly operating in the left half of the map and my fighting rank is only 19. Guess I will adapt as the game progresses.

So if a pirate spawns and starts attacking my patrol, the ship automatically sets all pirates to Foe?

leko

leko avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 11 years ago.

HI RAYDECK,

1)"M2 Boreas equipped with PPC(22), FAA( 8 ), CFA(2), PBE(6) and IC(2)"
look at
M2 Panther 6 ibl, top/bot 2x4 prg, l/r 2x2flak, re 4cig because it can dock 20 M3's (M3+ argon eclipse)
can defend itself against capital ships

2)You will never stay friends forever with pirates, because ... their pirates !

leko

leko avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

...I've got 15 fully equipped Boreas in border sectors, 10 M7 Astraeus Haulers in Core sectors and planning on adding Kyotos for sectors next to Xenon space...
So if a pirate spawns and starts attacking my patrol, the ship automatically sets all pirates to Foe?
- Raydekk

Hi Raydekk,

For OOS protection use DCS (Every carrier can be chosen to be a DRONE Carrier) Put a cheap one in friendly sectors , elsewhere ...
In Omnicron (War Sector) I have 1 M2 Valhalla Drone Carrier + 1 M2 Valhalla with MARS to protect it : They survive there for days now, slaughtering Terrans , IS or OOS, even better OOS, because IS strange things happen in a war sector.

For the part pirates attacking : would you prefer he dies without a fight ? No problem, take his guns away and write a letter to the pilot's parents ("your son died as a hero in action...") and look for a new ship.
If you send them to dangerous places it is clear you should send a strong one or protect it with a combat ship.

Don't worry, be happy ! leko

Raydekk

Raydekk avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hey leko,

For the part pirates attacking : would you prefer he dies without a fight ? No problem, take his guns away and write a letter to the pilots parents ("your son died as a hero in action...") and look for a new ship.
f you send them to dangerous places it is clear you should send a strong one or protect it with a combat ship.
- leko

That isn't the problem. I build a complex in Pirate space. I set an M2 Boreas to protect the complex. If friendly or hostile pirates appear, I don't want the M2 to engage unless the complex or the ship are attacked.

In Omnicron (War Sector) I have 1 M2 Valhalla Drone Carrier + 1 M2 Valhalla with MARS to protect it : They survive there for days now, slaughtering Terrans , IS or OOS, even better OOS, because IS strange things happen in a war sector.
- leko

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the Valhalla cannot be bought in vanilla.

Anyway I took a break from X3AP because it became unplayable @ +1000 stations with SETA ON. Don't have that many ships, around 300 or so. And it also lags in empty sectors. Maybe I'll continue after I buy a new computer or just play X:Rebirth :P

leko

leko avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Hey leko,...I build a complex in Pirate space. I set an M2 Boreas to protect the complex. If friendly or hostile pirates appear, I don't want the M2 to engage unless the complex or the ship are attacked.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the Valhalla cannot be bought in vanilla.

Anyway I took a break from X3AP because it became unplayable @ +1000 stations with SETA ON. Don't have that many ships, around 300 or so. And it also lags in empty sectors. Maybe I'll continue after I buy a new computer or just play X:Rebirth :P
- Raydekk

Okay, Raydekk, good luck !

You need to log-in to post here.