Carriers??

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Carriers??

Knagar

Knagar avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

So just like a lot of people I just got this game off Steam and have been tooling around with it. I've got my main save which is a legit play through then a script save which lets me try out different ships. Most of the game still has me confused sadly.

As the title states I am 100% lost on Carriers. I grabbed a Woden just to check it out but have ZERO clue has to how to fit it with fighters or where to even buy fighters. I am currently stationed at Venus just looking through the web with no luck on how to operate one of these.

If anyone could give me a quick crash course on Carriers that would be fantastic. A crash course on the entire game would be better but I am sure I will pick it up soon.

Thanks!

Vilu

Vilu avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Carrier's use (and allow docking of) M3, M4 and M5 class ships. Unlike in say, EVE, where carriers use (drone) Fighters, in X3 you actually use normal ships.

So to get some fighter's for your carrier you just buy and fit M3 (heavy fighter), M4 (interceptor) or M5(scout) ships. Then just dock them to your carrier and give them commands like you would give to any other ships.

To make commanding huge fighter fleets easier you can assign them to different wings and give commands to the whole wings at once. Instead of giving 40 commands to 40 fighters one by one, you could have red and blue wing, each containing 20 fighters each, and you would have to give just 2 commands. Also setting homebase for the fighters (near bottom at the command window) to the Carrier make things easier.

For example. If the homebase is set as the carrier and you set your fighters to protect your carrier, they will stay docked if there is nothing attacking it(the carrier). When something attacks it they will undock and figh it off, and later attempt to re-dock.

Yes, Carrier's are rich mans toys (if you ask me). As losses are to be expected and since you use real ships that have to be fitted, you're looking at up to 200mil when combining the price of the Carrier and fighters. Each fighter being between 1mil up to 7 mil in price, based on which ships you decide to use (M3+ being the most expensive ones) and how well/fully you decide to equip them.

It also can get tedious to replace losses if you don't have your own complex producing the needed equipment for the fighters.

I hope that i was able to help at least a little Smile

edit:
For some general X3 guides, i would suggest William Ferrel's Getting Started Guide: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39E5125A8190617E and Humble Merchant Guide: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBBF0B9059849696

CdrDave's walkthrough is also excellent source for information: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BC4835802365FF1
That walkthrough is for TC, but most of it still does apply in AP.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

M1's allow M3, M4 or M5 to dock; which kind-of act like drones. Take a Argon Colossus which can dock 60 ships; then fill her up with 60 x Eclipse (M3+). You have to assign them a home-base and give them a order (like defend ship).

When you get 60 ships launching out, now you got a deadly force. More powerful than any M2 (destroyer). However since youre using M3's, be prepared to lose a few every so often. That's why I recommend using M3+'s (so you dont lose so many). M5's act like canon folder.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

M5's act like canon folder.
- Roguey

Not necessarily! :p If you equip an M5 with Patrol Command Software it gains the 'scout for enemies' command which can be very useful. A small wing of M5s can also be handy for chasing down fleeing fighters.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh, well when I use a M1 I normally go after other capitals; and hence M5's normally just go pop Smile

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah, I agree, a few M5s can be quite useful, for scouting enemies for Patrol missions in larger sectors; especially if you use Kestrels or Pirate Harriers, as they can work very well as fast, strike interceptors. No more than 10 in a big carrier (60 slots), and 5 would probably be a better option. I have 5 Kestrels in my Panther used for fast scouts!

I will be the one to take you down!
Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

AP is rather more harsh on fighters than TC was.
A Woden is good ship able to wade into combat itself, however concentrating on the fighter wings;
If you want straight up hitting power the #deca.cefa with PM/AML is probably the hardest hitting M3 in the game (not counting the Spitfyre which is likely to splatter itself against the nearest available surface...) available from Aldrin.
The Fenrir makes another heavy hitter with full EMPC loadout, available from The Moon.
A disposable option is the #deca.fade or Valkarie available from Aldrin and The Moon respectively.
If you want cheap bulk fighters the OTAS Solano fitted with PACs is a good option, available from Legend's Home (or OTAS Weapons Dealers if you can persuade the previous owner to give it to you... Rambo )
If you have the HQ the Xenon L is cheap and quick to produce en-masse.
Otherwise the commonwealth falls into 2 schools of thought on fighter combat;
1) Split Mamba Raider/Vanguard.
2) Teladi Falcon Sentinel/Hauler.

An AI controlled ship is good on energy weapons, though player ships will want to mix in ammo based weapons.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yes AP is hard on fighters, but their hitting power/chances of staying alive can be increased by fitting them with missiles suitable for whatever role you've given them, and raising the percentage missiles are fired at.
I like the Aamon prototype and compared to capital ships it is quite quick to produce at your HQ, and can use spectre and poltergeist (Terran) missiles. I haven't managed to get a Xenon LX (M3+) yet but I'll make a few dozen when I eventually do. The above mentioned #deca.cefa is cheap and quick to produce at your HQ and can also carry the poltergeist, a useful swarm missile.
If later on a carrier mod/script is used (Kirlack suggested CODEA in a different thread) the fighters survivability can be greatly enhanced by being returned to the carrier when damaged.

I am an Alien!
bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

To me the best fighter is the Xperimental Shuttle... Super quick, super shields, super weapons. Has any one tried mass producing these?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

You can't RE them, sorry! The one you get is the only one you get!

I will be the one to take you down!
Admetes

Admetes avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

you cant even RE Khaak ships except for their scout ship for some reason Exp.
I was rather disappointed when I found out, but then again I would not have weapons for them

You need to log-in to post here.