Is there a way to keep 0% Harmless AND do AP Plot?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Is there a way to keep 0% Harmless AND do AP Plot?

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Trial by Fire.

Aid the war effort by accepting jobs on the front line or by pushing back the Terran Forces.

^This seems to imply I can do war zone missions instead of killing to advance the story.

Can anyone confirm or deny? I've done a few missions and nothing so far.

Also, is the number of Jump Beacons on Rapid Response craft related to Fight Rank?
I've only managed to find/cap one so far.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

you have to kill 3 Teriann ships normally. you might be able to do a large amount of missions but not sure.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Would the No-Rep loss missile trick work? Fire a couple of Thunderbolts at some Sabres from your Nova Proto (or whatever M3), then switch to another ship and make the M3 jump out before they hit; this makes it count as an NPC kill, so could probably not increase your fight rank... If not, Ramming? Getting a M6 (or even a well shielded M3) and ramming a few Terran ships may not increase but complete the mission...

I will be the one to take you down!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I've tried the NPC kill thing with a spare springblossom. NPC kills don't seem to count towards the mission. There was a rep hit for this which I might be able to avoid with the missile trick but It leaves me back at square 1. Sad
Thanks for the suggestion RandomTank. I will double check but I think I am SOL.

Splattering Rapier M5's against the windshield of my Springblossom works for mission progression but carries with it a fight rank advance.

I will be testing the front line jobs possibility in the next few days. I will post if I have any success.

Can anyone answer definitively which one (Or hopefully two Smile ) of the following apply:

1) Yes, I've done this with warzone missions. (if you have experience with this route)
2) Yes, Mission scripting says ## warzone missions. (Mission script lookup by someone who knows how and where to look)
3) Mission scripting says no, Mission description is wrong. (Mission script lookup as above.)

Thanks in advance.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

well if youre using a trick to get the missiles to register as NPC kills, then kill from that wont count for you.

I doubt you can keep your record spotless however it is possible too repair your rank even if you have the worst rank possible. Usually a few enemy kills (in their space) restores your rank pretty quickly, but will lower your other. This can be buffered by then jumping back, and doing a few missions for them to recover the rep loss.

Once you have repaired the rep enough, the race will offer missions. Once missions are being offered you can then fully restore your rank.

Also, is the number of Jump Beacons on Rapid Response craft related to Fight Rank?

I never thought rank had any effect on that, just random.

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

What Im trying to accomplish is to keep my fight rank 0% harmless. (0 kills)
My player status says I have destroyed 1100ish asteroids. That's it.
It's possible to repair "Race Rank" fairly easily.
When I cap ships, I lose 3 race ranks temporarily, then I do missions and bring it back up.
Im not trying to preserve "Race Rank" Im trying to preserve Fight rank.
The mission description seems to indicate 2 routes to success. Is that in fact the case?

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Up to 25 missions and no dice. I saw on the Egosoft board someone had first completion at 8 missions and last at 23.
Someone else was complaining they weren't having any success but had high Terran rank..
Going to do a few more missions since I just stole a Tyr. Then, steal another ship to drop more rank if it hasn't fixed the situation. I will update if I am able to move on while preserving fight rank (0 kills)

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Not sure what you meant by your last post...

Anyway, this is probably wrong, but there's no harm trying: Sometimes during a patrol mission (or any similar ones) it seems that if you do a lot of damage to a mission target, but an NPC ship finishes it off (but incredibly soon after or while you're still shooting at it), you can still be awarded the money for the kill (although this could be a glitch or slower projectiles hitting the target when the NPC is shooting it, hard to tell in the heat of battle!); it seems like they pay you for the assist, but you wouldn't increase in fight rank as you didn't get the kill. This COULD work for the 'Aid the War Effort' missions, you might as well try it out!! I'm not confident about it though...

Another idea: One of the combat missions (I think it's Hold Position?) will still pay you if you make a target ship bail instead of killing them; maybe you could try that on an 'Aid the War Effort' mission to see if bailing counts as a mission 'kill', as that doesn't increase your fight rank either....

I will be the one to take you down!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Not sure what you meant by your last post...
- RandomTank

Trial by Fire.

Aid the war effort by accepting jobs on the front line or by pushing back the Terran Forces.

^This seems to imply I can do war zone missions instead of killing to advance the story.
I saw a couple posts on the Egosoft board that seemed to support this.

War sectors get fewer missions but they are counted on your pilot status if you take and complete them.

Trial by Fire is a recurring mission in the storyline.
I was reading about someone doing war zone missions rather than the 3 kills (First completion of Trial by Fire was 8 warzone missions for them and they completed the storyline at 23 missions)

Im up to 25 war zone missions and haven't completed Trial by Fire once yet.. Someone else had no luck but also had high Terran rank. (like me)
I stole a Tyr last night to drop a few Terran Ranks (Maybe it's my high rank)

Im not looking to get "Kills" as it doesn't seem to be required. There are two paths to success for this mission.
Accepting station missions and completing them in the warzone sectors Or killing terrans.

As far as kill requirement for mission progression, it seems like it's kinda a rarity/one off. Most requirements are that quest related targets "Must die or be eliminated" (Not necessarily by your hand)
I think Egosoft (Or whoever wrote this storyline) had the foresight to recognize a difference in this instance and provide an alternate success condition.

Thanks for the suggestion on the "Hold position" line of missions. Unfortunately, with a low fight rank, it makes bailing ships VERY VERY rare as chance increases with fight rank.
Bailing probably counts as a "Target eliminated" sort of requirement. This would suggest I could have a wingman do the kills for me and not get fight rank, yet still get completion, Similar to the distinction above. The flip side is, A wingman can't kill the 3 terrans for completion of Trial by Fire.

Just a FYI, you don't have to do any combat in a patrol mission to get cash/completion credit. They give you a small ammount of cash for zooming around the sector and mission completion (Success).

I will keep you all posted if I have any success with the storyline via warzone missions and hopefully have a maximum terran rank (If that's the current problem)

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you Zipmeister. I have conflicting interests in this as I want the achievement for 10 war missions AND wanted the Terran stations that supply missiles and guns. I declined most of the available war zone missions as they were about killing more Terrans. I have already seen off about 60-70 Terrans, including 3 Katanas, and have only accomplished two missions. To balance my reputation I have had to slaughter Argons (M5,4,3) to be able to do Terran missions, and then do Argon missions to stop falling out with them. I also have had problems with whole Terran sectors going red on one of my Mammoths. Try as I might I can't seem to balance this without spending inordinate amounts of time running between groups that want to kill my ships, so your progress could possibly provide more information. Failing that I'll hold back from the Terrans until I've got everything I want (I can now buy M7's and missile fabs.)

I am an Alien!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I've been max terran rank but Im going to have to drop some rank via ship caps for storyline progress I think (I hope that's the problem because it seems fixable.)

Be careful as your ship assets get attacked in the war sectors even WITH good faction standing on both sides. You can blacklist war sectors to UT's via the blacklist manager in the Bonus pack. You will also have to blacklist all sectors that have the closest jumpgate/beacon in or through the war sectors.
Jupiter 2 & 3, Mars didn't have beacons so I had to blacklist them to keep ships from flying THROUGH Jupiter and Asteroid Belt dispite them being on the blacklist. (Also, CAg software has a seperate blacklist) Saturn had a Beacon for me so the rest of Terran Space was fair game. UT's have been Almost "No maintenance" except for the "Full of freight and stuck" scenario. No attacks since the blacklist setup.

To get my race relations up, I sold warzone missile loot to a station in Asteroid belt till I was high enough rank to take taxi missions. (Kill missions have negative rep with the victim faction)

At decent rank, Terrans give out war missions as well, it seems.
Good luck AlphanInfidel. I will post findings If I can get "Missions" to work and haven't broken the storyline to it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I guess your trying to keep the rating Harmless as like side-quest?

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I don't use UT's much/at all in AP......
.... bearing in mind how difficult/time consuming it is to keep a balance between your reputation with warring factions, what do you hope to achieve (other than prove it is possible) with your strategy?

I am an Alien!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I guess your trying to keep the rating Harmless as like side-quest?
- Roguey

Kinda. I want to see if it can be done.
Also, a lot of the stuff that happens in game is dependent on fight rank.
If I steal an M7 from a claim/return mission they send an M5 for instance.
Stealing Xenon capitals from Xenon core a bit more interesting if you're limited because you can't/won't kill anything.

I don't use UT's much/at all in AP......
.... bearing in mind how difficult/time consuming it is to keep a balance between your reputation with warring factions, what do you hope to achieve (other than prove it is possible) with your strategy?
- AlphanInfidel

My UT's don't get attacked and my factions were maxed for awhile (Had to blacklist war sectors and some surrounding sectors so they didn't fly through.) That balance of which you speak is rock solid if you don't kill. That "difficult/time consuming" is totally not.
After some initial groundwork, I could do whatever I wanted in the sandbox.

I've managed to acquire a lot of goodies and now I want the ones from the story missions.
Im having some trouble with the storyline currently.. There may be a faction requirement (Low Terran) for completion via the warzone missions. From max Terran, I stole a Tyr, Valhalla and Woden. Now Im "Renegade" Hopefully something isn't broken and I can complete via War missions. (In progress) Currently at ~30 but not many consecutive at low rank yet.
Oddly enough, the Terrans attacked my ships in their space but not my stations when I lost favor... YET... The ships are evacuated while I work on the storyline. (Im hoping something isn't broken)
I should "Speed Bump" a few Scimitars with my Springblossom and reload just to make sure the quest isn't FUBAR'ed

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah I see what youre doing; sounds like you got quite far without a single kill. Sounds like youre turning into a Goner. How far are you going to take things? .. like are you going to own a destroyer but not killed anyone?

as for the plots, you will hit (pun intended) some problems; as there are missions that require a few kills.

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah I see what youre doing; sounds like you got quite far without a single kill. Sounds like youre turning into a Goner. How far are you going to take things? .. like are you going to own a destroyer but not killed anyone?

as for the plots, you will hit (pun intended) some problems; as there are missions that require a few kills.
- Roguey

I own Destroyers:
2 Valhalla's
Kyoto
I
K
Tyr

And Carriers:
Odin (Bought)
Raptor (Bought)
Woden
J
Galleon

As for the kills, I might be able to use personal assets to make them. This doesn't work with Trial by Fire. I hope i have a secondary option for that.

Im still at Renegade ranking with Terrans since dropping some ranks and up to 50 warzone missions.
Still no completion on Trial by Fire. I can't re-enable Guidance on the mission.
I can get completion by making hood ornaments out of a few Sabres. (I reloaded afterward)
It SEEMS like I should have had completion already from doing missions.
Can anyone point me to appropriate modding info I could use to look up the mission requirements in the scripts for it?

<<<Update>>>
I haven't had any success with warzone missions at low terran rank. Im assuming something is broken.
I reloaded to before I stole the Woden and recovered my terran max rank with missions.
I guess I will have to suck it up and scrub some sabres off my windshield when I dock after progress..
Im going to miss 0% Harmless.

You need to log-in to post here.