Things to do with Jump Beacons.

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Things to do with Jump Beacons.

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

As someone who has only found and acquired a whopping 1 un-deployed jump beacon with hundreds of hours played, I have a few theories.

1) The universe doesn't like me.
2) The Universe does not originally spawn with jump beacons on ships.
3) I believe the hostility of the Universe is fight rank dependent and only ships that respawn can have jump beacons.

Up until a few days ago, I was rockin' the 0% harmless fight rank tag, however, after over 50 war zone missions, I gave up on trying to get completion of "Trial by Fire" with missions.

Now that the Argon plot is complete and I am a "Veteran" I'm hoping the ensuing cesspool of death and respawning on the part of the other races provides me with ample opportunity to acquire jump beacons..
If any NPC ships are listening, Borg Please feel free to kill each other.

Maybe it's the Megalomania talking but...

I have plans...

My Capital Ship Refueling station(s):
1 Jump beacon
1 Flying Gas Can Carrier (Parked within Tranporter range of incoming ships)
1 Solar Power Plant
1 External Commodity Logistics fighter to refill the carrier
1 External Commodity Logistics ship to refill crystals

Home Sector Jump Beacon:
1 Jump beacon (Or more)

Hub Sector Jump Beacon:
1 Jump beacon close to the hub

Player Ship Jump Beacon:
1 Jump beacon (For a recoverable "Claim/Return Ship" and "Fetch Cargo" mission jump target)

Tour of a Lifetime Jump network:
1 Jump beacon per core sector station destination. (Preferably within docking computer insta-dock range if possible)

What other cool things can you do or have you done with jump beacons.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

lol, you had more luck than me as I never got one beacon! I didnt really try too much; as rapid response ships usually annoy me. So end up trying to blow them up instead.

There is one other option, you could sell it. They sell for something ridiculous like 600+mil?

However, If you deicide to deploy the beacon, dont put it where it can be attacked. Can NPC ships use beacons owned by the player? hmmm...

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I haven't been pro-active enough to get a jump beacon, but like the sound of the ideas above. The "Player Ship Jump Beacon" implies you can retrieve them ......... if that is the case I want one for other race elimination enabling the almost immediate arrival of my own Rapid Response Team.

I am an Alien!
redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

How does one obtain one of the jump beacons?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

@redheart They are a rare spawn inside RRF ships, and are super unlikely to drop them on death. Its much better to cap a ship that has one on board, but that's easier said than done!

Some info on them here

@Zipmeister Jump beacons aren't that useful in most sectors, especially the Hub Sector (as it's tiny and you have 6 gates to jump to). The only places you should really use one is in Terran Sectors, the Albion Sectors or any really really big sectors, as obviously is cuts down on journey times significantly, but I wouldn't waste them (as they are soo rare!). Putting one in the centre of the Argon Prime sector (for example) would be a huge waste, as it will only cut a minute or 2 off journey times, so I would give a lot of thought before using one...

I will be the one to take you down!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I haven't been pro-active enough to get a jump beacon, but like the sound of the ideas above. The "Player Ship Jump Beacon" implies you can retrieve them ......... if that is the case I want one for other race elimination enabling the almost immediate arrival of my own Rapid Response Team.
- AlphanInfidel

That is EXACTLY what it implies. Also, When you steal a Valhalla, It can only jump to Jump Beacons. Gates are too small.

I just got an Aran yesterday. The UFJD start/return location was near the SPP in Northern Saturn (Oops).
Im considering picking up my jump Beacon and moving it to near the shipyard there temporarily. At 2m/s It will probably take all week to fly. The problem is, Im not sure I care IF it takes all week.

Roguey, if you can update the "Capturing an Aran" guide to suggest using UFJD "Near a shipyard" because return position is the same as departure position, It could save someone some headache. The first thing you want to do when you get the Aran back is repair it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey, if you can update the "Capturing an Aran" guide to suggest using UFJD "Near a shipyard" because return position is the same as departure position, It could save someone some headache. The first thing you want to do when you get the Aran back is repair it.

Well.. Im not sure thats a good idea; what if you want to reverse-engineer it? repair at PHQ? or it spawns abit too close to the shipyard?

Surely you dont get a headache getting the Aran home via SETA? Another option is you undock from the Aran, and let the AI dock it.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Safer to dock the Aran OOS!

I am an Alien!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Safer to dock the Aran OOS!
- AlphanInfidel

Always is, sometimes you need to be out of sector to get it to undock with a few of the stations.

You need to log-in to post here.