Legend of Dungeon

Home Board Index » Steam » Legend of Dungeon

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Picture

Legend of Dungeon was a very successful kickstarter exceeding the funding goal by a large amount.
You can buy it on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238280
Or buy it through the Humble store: http://robotloveskitty.com/LoD/buy.php (this includes a Steam/drm free version and a Steam key)

The game cost $10 USD on Steam and the Humble store, but you may be able to catch it on sale if you are lucky.

This is a "Rogue-like" "Beat 'em up" game. The goal is to make it to level 26, grab the treasure and make it back to the Tavern in one piece. This game plays much like The Binding of Isaac where potions are randomized every run as are all the levels, items etc making every attempt a new adventure. If you feel that graphics are the the only thing that matters in a game, this isn't for you. However the game does look nice even with its simplistic art style. It uses the Unity engine with some very nice dynamic lighting. Despite its look, it is actually fairly GPU intensive. The game is played in "runs" or attempts to get the treasure and make it back alive with no saving. There are planned expansions in the works and OFC they are free to those who buy the game.

So what makes this game good? It is not entirely gear based like a lot of dungeon crawler rogue-like games. Some runs end up being very long with basic gear. Others you find an overpowered weapon very early and die quickly due to overconfidence. The item system is pretty basic with a lot of variations. There are tons of weapons, hats and spellbooks to be found. For armor you find hats with enchantments on them and most of them have a special effect. For example the Rogue Hood has a special effect that allows you to get closer to enemies before they can aggro you, the Party Hat gives off light so you don't have to use your lantern to see in dark areas. If you enjoy The Binding of Isaac you might want to give this game a try as well.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hey Sinxar, I see your back into your retro looking games once again.

So I guess its a bit like an survival game? ie. reach level 26, then try to come back with the loot? I guess a run can take awhile - so is there a save option? I guess there's no online coop mode?

shame about that wipe-out, one hit.. gone. what was that thing?

ps. I defiantly noticed your getting much better with the voice-overs now. At first I remmeber you were a bit timid, but now you much more confident.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

hey Sinxar, I see your back into your retro looking games once again.

So I guess its a bit like an survival game? ie. reach level 26, then try to come back with the loot? I guess a run can take awhile - so is there a save option? I guess there's no online coop mode?

shame about that wipe-out, one hit.. gone. what was that thing?

- Roguey

There is no saving just like in The Binding of Isaac, although since it was released on Steam (sep 13th IIRC) a lot of people has been asking for a way to save progress when exiting the game. The dev responded with "we are working on a solution". Unfortunately no online co-op. It is local (same PC) co-op only sadly. Although it does make a good game to play with real life friends. It is possible to play with the keyboard but a gamepad of some sort is highly recommended (i use xbox 360 controller).

That was a boss monster, a "Deep Minotaur". All bosses are free range and not limited by floor. Its totally possible (and has happened to me at least once) to run into a boss right after leaving the tavern. You don't have to fight them just not die.

Finally beat the game today just after posting this. Made it down to 26 and back up to the tavern with the treasure. Ranked #103 for now!

Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

There is no saving just like in The Binding of Isaac, although since it was released on Steam (sep 13th IIRC) a lot of people has been asking for a way to save progress when exiting the game. The dev responded with "we are working on a solution".

Ah can imagine that could be a technical issue. If you're given the ablity to save/load, then it will make the game less hard-core like. Although if a run can take a couple of hours, then surely it will be a good idea.

Unfortunately no online co-op. It is local (same PC) co-op only sadly. Although it does make a good game to play with real life friends.

Oh, thats a shame. Something I think these retro games should always have. It was great when we were playing Terria together - we have to do that soon!

It is possible to play with the keyboard but a gamepad of some sort is highly recommended (i use xbox 360 controller).

A lot of games are wanting a gamepad nowadays, and to be honest I think thats a good thing. Why should the PC be limited to mouse/keyboard?

That was a boss monster, a "Deep Minotaur". All bosses are free range and not limited by floor. Its totally possible (and has happened to me at least once) to run into a boss right after leaving the tavern. You don't have to fight them just not die.

I guess, as its a boss - its beatable? although it did just seem to kill you in one go?

Finally beat the game today just after posting this. Made it down to 26 and back up to the tavern with the treasure. Ranked #103 for now!

Big congratulations for that.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 9 years ago.

I love how Steam gives some interesting deals every now and then, although they're not always what I'm looking for but still.
By the way, is it me? Or Steam's prices are usually lower than average even without discounts?

@chuantiaya, there's no need for posting the same thing in three different places, spamming isn't allowed here.

You need to log-in to post here.