Kerbal Space Program

Home Board Index » Steam » Kerbal Space Program

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Picture
This is an early access game and can be found here: Kerbal Space Program in the Steam store.

So as you can imagine since i'm making this topic, I've been playing it. Here is a bit about it from the store page.
Kerbal Space Program is a multi-genre game where players create their own space program.

In KSP, you must build space-worthy craft, capable of flying your crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!

The game is being built first as an open sandbox. There are no objectives yet. You're free to build anything you can think of, and fly it wherever you want, even into orbit and out to other planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

That is a good description of what is in the game so far. Now I only played it a few hours and was able to get the hang of the game fairly quickly. It uses real physics models and is fairly accurate in many things. This games shows why the X series would be terrible if the physics were realistic at all. The only thing truly missing is proper aerodynamic models. As of right now it is very basic with parts having a drag factor. So adding parts like nosecones to rockets is actually bad as it increases drag. Recently they added in a way to create spaceplanes, jets, land vehicles, VTOLs etc. I've only really messed with that a little bit as it is much more difficult to build a flyable, stable plane than a interplanetary rocket. It is possible to build spaceplanes that can make it to, and land on other planets though. There is an entire solar system to explore complete with a gas giant and lots of moons around each planet. All are able to be explored except of course the gas giant planet (Jool), you can send a probe in there and do some science though.

My progress so far is that I put a guy in orbit around one of Kerbin's moons (Mun) put some satellites in orbit around a few things and I just figured out how to get enough fuel into orbit to do more than just go to a nearby moon. Like I said though, this game highlights the problem with realistic physics, it is hard! I just completed my very first docking maneuver in orbit. The rendezvous wasn't that bad but it literally took 30 minutes of messing with RCS trying to dock together two supertanker sized craft full of fuel. Looks pretty though and it holds enough fuel for whatever my next long range mission will be.

Picture
There is a 4-way docking port in the center of them. You can't assemble anything in space except by docking things together. 2x tankers are now one refueling station.

Another angle showing Mun in the background:
Picture

Recommend picking this up if you are into this type of thing. I might make a short vid of some part of the game (maybe getting into orbit or something with a simple rocket) but not too much prolly unless I get really good at it and start doing some extreme missions.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

I don't think I can embed an album. But here is my latest mission. It was a manned mission to Minmus. It is a small icy moon of Kerbin.

I heard it was a low gravity moon but I didn't think it was that low. My guys were almost able to jump into orbit! With their jetpacks it would have been easily possible no question. It was a fun time and nothing went wrong surprisingly!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

So its game where you have build a space craft, to launch into space? once you get your crew to space, then what happens? I guess the universe isnt populated? so cant trade, fight etc.? I do like the idea you can build you own crafts - how limited is it? I mean can you create flying tea-cups for example? or just tag boxes together?

as for the album, ive included the option onto the parser now (check UBB in the reply editor to see all the possible UBB codes).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Its a sandbox sim at the moment. It isn't like the X series, you run a space program (much like NASA) and supposedly today there is an update that adds in some science stuff for you to do to unlock ship parts. So right now you have to set your own goals and missions. There will be a career mode but it isn't implemented yet. It is early access and only at version .22. It has a good modding community already and if you want to fly your teacup, there surely is a mod for that. But vanilla it is mostly your standard rocket parts, wings, struts, engines, stabilizers and things like that. You can however build and fly some things that obviously wouldn't fly in real life. This is mainly due to how the aerodynamic system is implemented currently (in short: not very well).

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

I liked the look of this game a lot, not many people do good play-throughs of it though...
I may pick it next time it goes on sale!

That planet Minmus reminds me of Spore. A lot.

I will be the one to take you down!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

I may pick it next time it goes on sale!
- RandomTank

Good luck with that. Been waiting on this to go on sale for around 6 months and I haven't seen it up once. There is a demo btw that is available from the Steam store page. Never used it so no idea how limited it is.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh man, no flying tea-pots Confused

well it does sound quite an interesting game, and as you said; I could see the physics being an interesting point. Im a little surprised that I havnt seen you post any Let's play videos from it - as I could imagine it would be rather fun. The guy I was watching on youtube seems be blowing himself up more than anything else lol

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 9 years ago.

Helloz! Big grin

This game I'm pretty sure you'll love, it's a really fun physics based engineering game.You build these rockets, which you send into space, there you can dock with other spacecraft you sent up (this way you can also create massive spaceships), set up satelites (or even stations), go to different planets and explore them, etc. and then you can attempt to bring it back to earth (using parachutes hopefully Wink ).
You have three different game modes (since 0.24):
Sandbox - all parts are unlocked, you have endless money, no research needed. This was the first playable way.

Science - you have to unlock parts with science (which you get from exploring space and doing scientific measurements/experiments in different places), you have endless money. This was the original career mode

Career - same as with science, but you have also notoriety and money as resource. That means that each part you put on a rocket costs you something, and what you manage to land back to Kerbin (the home planet), you get some value back. The other part is notoriety which I don't know how it works yet, but the point is, you have missions you can accept (like reach 70KM, reach a stable orbit, orbit the Mun etc.), and once you fulfil them you get some money and notoriety.

It's a great game, it's very funny (the characters are genious in their own right), but it also get's you to think a little (making a Single Stage To Orbit plane is not a small task), and since the physics are basically real (the planets are smaller, and everything is lighter and stronger then real parts) you get to learn a lot about orbital mechanics (from orbits and basic orbital manouvering, to the hohmann transfer, doing slingshots, atmospheric breaking etc.). And you can learn all of it easily, without your math calculator and handbook, and without diving through 1000 pages (or longer) physics books.

Also, there is a mod which added multiplayer, basically you can each control one kerbal or even both can contol a single spacecraft. While there is no competition, it's probably a lot of fun, enough so that they started working on official multiplayer mode.

There is a free demo on Steam if you'd like to try it.
Picture

Burn rubber, not your soul!
DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Aw, I love that game! It is a lot of fun.
I never had the brainium to make those complex docking mechanisms and mega-ships, but I got Kerbonauts to both moons (and back) and unmanned probes to successfully crash-land on other planets.

You need to log-in to post here.