Starbound

Home Board Index » Steam » Starbound

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

I agree that boss did look like a bullet sponge - a few odd attacks here and there, but nothing that looked too worrying. It is like the wall of flesh, where you go too far left/right it will kill you?

I guess there is a lot more to that mod than just that boss?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

It is like the wall of flesh, where you go too far left/right it will kill you?
- Roguey

I honestly have no idea.

I guess there is a lot more to that mod than just that boss?
- Roguey

Indeed.

New planet types, tons of new biomes, many new building blocks, a crazy amount of new weapons and armor. It allows crafting of certain other crafting materials that you must farm mobs for in vanilla. Automated item transfer (works similarly to Applied Energistics or Logistics Pipes Minecraft mods), a power system with all types of generators. Bees (like the Forestry Minecraft mod), new vehicles and techs (techs are upgrades that are always active, such as a triple jump and dash ability I usually use). Lots of new furniture and large storage chests. Handheld mining lasers (which are awesome), and a few tool upgrades like the Translocator and hand hoe.

New types of crew members, multiple types of ship fuel, a huge number of new microdungeons (basically set pieces that are randomly placed on planets, some of them are planet difficulty level and/or biome dependant). Lots of new crops and ways to create them with genetic engineering. Contains of quality of life items too like growing and hydroponics trays, better sprinklers if you grow crops the old fashioned way in the dirt.

There is a new science outpost that gives you a lot of quest to help give direction on what you should be doing. There are new missions to do other than the main story ones (the dungeon with the shoggoth boss is one of these).

I went and fought the final boss of the vanilla game and it went down far faster than The Shoggoth, so it appears to have much more HP but both of them didn't do much damage.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

I went and fought the final boss of the vanilla game and it went down far faster than The Shoggoth, so it appears to have much more HP but both of them didn't do much damage.
- Sinxar

It sounds like you a little disappointed with the end-boss.. I guess you geared up for a battle and it didnt really happen.

That mod does do quite a bit then, how does that effect the game? I guess you have to start a new-game? Are there many big mods for Starbound?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Overall it increases the difficulty a bit over vanilla, at least for early through mid game. AFAIK there are no other overhaul mods like Frackin' Universe and no you don't have to start a new game. I did though because I wanted to see what it was like from the start.

The new update is out for Starbound that adds mechs, space stations and the navigation overhaul. Been messing around with it and it is OK I guess. Considering the number of planets you need to explore during the game it seems unnecessarily tedious to navigate.
Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

I guess you would say its worth a buy?

Picture

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Geese it was only £12 normally and you didn't think it worth it? I don't know, it you felt it wasn't good enough to warrant £12, a £4 difference prolly won't change your mind.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Geese it was only £12 normally and you didn't think it worth it? I don't know, it you felt it wasn't good enough to warrant £12, a £4 difference prolly won't change your mind.
- Sinxar

Very true, I guess it might become slightly cheaper in the spring/summer sales but its not exactly a bad price now. Hopefully Ill be able to coop it later with a friend;

Picture

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Tried to make a space station. The system is easy enough to use but it is very expensive. I don't really like the layout of this one but it was just a test. I do like the way the hull blocks look but once I experimented a bit I think I could come up with something much better. The greenhouse rooms have a weird connection thing on the bottom of the rooms. I feel it would be better to use a different section then just customize it, sorta like I did on the second room from the teleporter. You can take down the background walls like you can on your ship so you can pretty much put anything you want in there. Anyway here is the experimental station.

Picture

They are modular if you are curious. However there is no way to delete a section after building it so I will have to start a new station to make it the way I want. Not a big deal really. It takes a lot of resources but they are easy to obtain.

For more information about the stations, see the wiki here: http://starbounder.org/Space_Station

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Messing around with parts of Frackin' Universe that I haven't tried before such as bees. Quite easy to get into but sadly they would have been great early game. This is what I ended up with for my bee area. It is built on my starter planet (the one with the disgusting wood house with thatch roof). Demolished the old house and removed a huge hill to flatten the area. Unfortunately I had to use solar panels for the ease of use. I was using a coal generator to power the centrifuge but it doesn't work automatically so it ended up wasting a ton of coal while it wasn't being used.

Picture

I'm happy with how it turned out. I can expand the apiaries to the west and there is another flat area to the east I could use if I needed it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Pretty neat you can build space-stations, I did think you could only build on planets. I guess they act as places to resupply, although I wonder how big they would have to be to do that. Is your space-station self-sufficient? ore does it rely on the planet?

What do the bees do? make honey? what is the honey for? nice looking area btw

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

I guess they act as places to resupply, although I wonder how big they would have to be to do that. Is your space-station self-sufficient? ore does it rely on the planet?
- Roguey

You would think right. In reality they are just bases you can use in space instead of, or in addition to planets. Since they added upgrading your ship way back in 1.0 it is easier than ever to just put everything you need on your ship and just exploit planetside resources as needed. That is pretty much what I did while it was in early access, even on the smallest sized ship you can easily grow a few crops and have room for crafting stations. Since I decided to take my time, I found building on planets to be quite rewarding. Since you can have teleporters and stuff it is easy to get back to them with the press of a button.

What do the bees do? make honey? what is the honey for?
- Roguey

You can make some pretty good buff food from the honey. Much like the Forestry mod for Minecraft, you can eventually get some that produce ores and various crafting materials. Personally I don't find them that good but it is something else to do.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

I started working on my new station. Been collecting materials and removing the background walls of the section I have built.

It is huge so far. The sections I have are: default mech bay - default core (has teleporter) - core - huge core - core - core. As you can see in the image below it is already pretty big and really I shouldn't need anything more. The two 'core' sections on the right I left the normal background walls up and threw all my crafting stations and storage in there so I don't have to keep running back to my old base for stuff. The background is indeed gone in the left and center sections it has that design I guess so you know there is something there and you are just replacing the interior walls. The ship has the same type of thing. Anyway I want to add a long section on top for lots of solar panels and the bottom may be for growing crops or tenants, either way both of those will be in there somewhere.

Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Yea I did wonder about power/air/food. I guess you dont need to worry about oxygen? what is power used for on a station? lighting? and, as for food, do you need to get water there? I guess you use your space-ship to carry the various bits-n-bobs there?

Very interesting to see your progress, thanks for posting.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Did a ton of work on my ship. Got it upgraded to the max size and did interior work. Not the best but good enough. Better than the default for sure.

Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Geez, that ship looks pretty big. I guess you dont need to worry about power plant/engine rooms? Im glad you included a toilet, as many star-trek series have never said: "Hold on captain, I need to visit the bathroom". When you say max size, I guess there is a build limit? thats a shame if there is.

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.