Starbound

Home Board Index » Steam » Starbound

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

When you say max size, I guess there is a build limit? thats a shame if there is.
- Roguey

Each tier of your ship is a set size. Look here: http://starbounder.org/Floran_Ship

I am playing a Floran and here is a gif of the different tiers.

Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

Each tier of your ship is a set size.
- Sinxar

Oh I see, I thought you could design the ship yourself.

I mostly prefer the Human one, although the Apex looks a bit like the death-star when upgraded. I guess none of the guns of ships are functional?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Just recently we (Me and friend) started to play Starbound, but we have more-or-less got stuck. We built a house, gathering a few resources etc. but after a few hours, we are not sure what to do. We did find some odd base with some few shops. There are a few quests to complete, such as make teddy bear but still not really understand the objective of the game. We have gone down to the bottom of the map, and looped around but didnt really see much to do.. maybe we being a bit thick?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

Go right in the outpost.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

Trying to play through Starbound again. No real reason other than nothing better to do.

Picture

Just recently we (Me and friend) started to play Starbound, but we have more-or-less got stuck. We built a house, gathering a few resources etc. but after a few hours, we are not sure what to do. We did find some odd base with some few shops. There are a few quests to complete, such as make teddy bear but still not really understand the objective of the game. We have gone down to the bottom of the map, and looped around but didnt really see much to do.. maybe we being a bit thick?
- Roguey

Did you ever get past the tutorial?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Did you ever get past the tutorial?
- Sinxar

hi there, well not really. We played for a bit more but after not really getting anywhere we moved onto something else. Maybe its something I should pick-up again. Its odd however as we both enjoyed Terraria but found Starbound hard to get into. How far did you get with it? maybe its something I should try on my own?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

maybe its something I should try on my own?
- Roguey

Hmm maybe it would be better to solo it. Lot easier to tell what is going on and what you need to do. I still think Terraria is better though despite there being so much to explore in Starbound. After a while its pretty much all the same. Starbound has a distinct clunky feel to it for me.

How far did you get with it?
- Roguey

I beat vanilla and was working on getting the achievements but man they are super grindy. I installed the Frackin' Universe mod and played through that as well. Its a good "hard mode" mod that adds a lot.

If you mean how far did I get in this play through, then im about 1/3 the way through the story. Just getting geared up and building things.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

I think it might help solo'ing - we didnt really understand what was going on - so rather helping each other - we confused either other more; if that makes sense?

Im not a big fan of grinding achievements, atm we playing Assassin creed: origins and that is super-grindy. The problem is giving time playing all these games.

I think with Starbound we built a house, then started to explore. We found an outpost were we got a few quests, did them, but wondered what was next. Sounds like we only scratched the surface of Starbound.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

Well finished the story and now im just messing around. Think I might try to 100% the achievements.

Anyway built a giant industrial scale farm just to see how good it is to literally farm money in Starbound. This is what I came up with.

It is a super long rice field with sprinklers built on a barren planet so there is no mobs or anything.
Picture

One harvest makes just under 10k pixels. So not bad. I could expand it for coco as well, maybe put it in an underground layer. I did rice because it can be packed very close and you dont have to replant it after harvesting. Also rice stacks so no constant trips back and forth to empty your inventory.

Here is one harvest of it.
Picture

So overall its actually pretty good if you need a lot of cash for whatever reason. It took me a long time to build mostly because I wanted to decorate it (and im still doing so).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

Got all the achievements finally. Here is a vid of the final boss + the full ending with credit roll

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Congratulations on getting all the achievements - some games are a really bugger to finish. We just finished Assiasin creed: Origns the other day (finished as in completed the story to the end, first time around). Its not been that good to be honest - very grindy and very confusing story-line. However we now at the finishing off the achievements stage (I hope there isnt one for completing the game on new game+). So games can have some very boring achievements - as you probably know.

Thanks for posting videos/pictures - it does make me want to replay the game - obviously missed something first time. How long is the story in Starbound?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

How long is the story in Starbound?
- Roguey

Relatively short actually. I'm not going to pretend it is good in any way. You basically scan some items, get a mission to kill a boss. Repeat. Thats it. Once you finish with that part, you go in the portal and kill the final boss. Most of the time spent in the game is exploring, building upgrading weapons, farming crops, etc.

Even the basic gameplay loop is quite simplistic at best. Get the ore you need to upgrade to the next tier of EPP and armor/weapons, find the planet type you can now go to without dying and repeat. This part I don't mind, as exploring isn't bad and you can basically get to endgame tier of gear and you only need to do one mission.

The problem is that scanning the items needed doesn't count until you are actually on that part of the main quest. So while you can rush to the very end you still have to go and scan random items of each race. It really is the worst part of the story IMO. It just feels incredibly lazy.

Same goes for getting fuel from moons. It's like they couldn't figure out what to do so they just make an unkillable ghost that will one shot you chase you around.

Game performance is quite poor as well.

All that being said, overall its not a terrible game though. It def has issues and a very lazy story, you can really tell it was just tacked on as an afterthought. The sandbox aspect is where it shines IMO. Not the type of game you would play forever but it does have some replay value at least.

Anyway I'm going to try and play through The Witcher 3. I have 2 copies of the game, one on GoG and one on Steam and I have yet to play it once! I know its good and I love RPGs. I got nothing else going on right so it is a good of time as any.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Witcher 3 wasnt bad, although found it somewhat odd. I remember getting a level 34 sword when I was like 6. I think I did the main game and the DLC's - if I remember correctly. I would be interest to hear how you get on with that one - if you decide to share Smile

As for Starbound it sounds like it one of them games I need to get back to sometime, although probably solo might be best this time. I am not sure when that will be - as have a few games to get around too now.

« 1 2 3 4

You need to log-in to post here.