Free X games weekend on Steam coming up

Home Board Index » Steam » Free X games weekend on Steam coming up

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Those who has not played X series yet now is perfect change to give X series a try!

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378242

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

I plan to try X: Rebirth. Usually there is a discount on free weekend games. If the discount is good I might finally pick it up. We will see though.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Yeah it is $13.59 USD for X: Rebirth right now and $16.99 for the Teladi Outpost Bundle. Might as well get it for that price even if it is bad.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Yeah it is $13.59 USD for X: Rebirth right now and $16.99 for the Teladi Outpost Bundle. Might as well get it for that price even if it is bad.
- Sinxar

It is always good to support small game developers but not sure if it is wise to buy a game you find bad Smile. At least I get a bad feeling when I see games on my list I really dislike (M-E: Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider, and many others)

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Why do you hate Skyrim?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Why do you hate Skyrim?
- Sinxar

I find it very boring and start to feel repetitive very fast, missions has no meaning, world is stagnant and static, NPCs has no character, has copy&paste-feeling everywhere, fighting is very casual as unfortunately the whole game, etc. You could say the same things about many other game as well but for some reason the feeling of those problems are really present and strong on Skyrim.

I know there is huge amount of gamers who absolutely loves the game. I guess there are tens of thousands playing the game on Steam at this very moment Smile. It's just not game for me. Unfortunately I think Bethesda's Fallout 3 is suffering in many same problems.

Maybe "hate" is a bit strong word. I just dislike it.

Do you like Skyrim? If yes, why?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Btw. Egosoft has not yet stopped working on X3 games and so there should be new patches coming. Nothing huge though but implementing some mods to be part of main games. Great support as always.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hope they fix a few of the more dire bugs. The CAG script is a big one for me, if they just fixed that I would be very happy.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hope they fix a few of the more dire bugs. The CAG script is a big one for me, if they just fixed that I would be very happy.
- Sinxar

I wouldn't surprised if they include whole Albion Bonus Package + others into core game. I don't know anyone who plays vanilla X3.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

btw, thanks edge for the heads up. It allowed me to post some news, as I may of missed it otherwise.

I wonder why Egsoft decided to do the free-weekend. Is activity on the ES boards low?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

btw, thanks edge for the heads up. It allowed me to post some news, as I may of missed it otherwise.
- Roguey

Steam's "Free weekend" is a new feature and actually pretty great. Playable demos are much more rare these days so giving people a change to play a game over weekend is quite nice way to promote the games.

I wonder why Egsoft decided to do the free-weekend. Is activity on the ES boards low?
- Roguey

I guess that small company with couple of games for niche market requires all kind of promotion possible. Additionally X Rebirth is evolving all the time and now it gets testers for new rendering engine as well (version 3.5 + Linux Alpha-version / OpenGL). If rumors are true they are going to push new patches to X3 series as well so maybe they wanted to give some push to X3 beforehand too.

There is huge changes (a little scary and worrying) happening in gaming business. Huge titles and well known developers are collapsing and game franchises disappearing; just recently Maxis with SimCity and The Sims. We almost lost Obsidian and Larian Studios as well.
Old-school gamers are still keeping these studios up and running but I don't think that is going to last forever. Mobile gaming and much more simple games seems to be very popular even among PC gamers these days. Firaxis / Sid Meier are now reaching more wide audience as well - and that shows and feels.

I hope Elite, Star Citizen, X series among some others are able to keep space games going for a long time without streamlining and simplifying the gameplay. It is definitely not going to be easy.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

btw, thanks edge for the heads up. It allowed me to post some news, as I may of missed it otherwise.-
Steam's "Free weekend" is a new feature and actually pretty great. Playable demos are much more rare these days so giving people a change to play a game over weekend is quite nice way to promote the games.
- edqe

Indeed its a good way to test. The first game I brought (directly through Steam) was Borderlands 1 (because it was on a free weekend, so I check to see if it ran okay). I cant seem to find the actual news post, but I have the email saying it was brought on July 2013. So the free weekend events have been running for awhile now, Steam may have called them different name.

The gaming industry is changing and it would be a shame for the AAA titles to be lost to mobile gaming. I think egosoft actual did a good-call with the free weekend.

I dont exactly know about the patching of X3, but I think it would be highly unlikely. X-Rebirth is Egosoft's focus and as you said, they are a small company. I could see Egosoft might do some minor patching to allow for more community content (like the Shady Business plots). However what worries me is the long turn future of Egoosft, X4 might be a good idea - if they do it right. I would probably be intrested in helping with that, although they probably wouldnt want anything to do with me anymore (although I cant blame them, not that ive broken any rules).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

I dont exactly know about the patching of X3
- Roguey

Here you go http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4502786#4502786

Hope they fix the top 3 things I asked for.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

I cant seem to find the actual news post, but I have the email saying it was brought on July 2013. So the free weekend events have been running for awhile now, Steam may have called them different name.
- Roguey

Oh, nice to know. Maybe they have been testing it with some titles earlier and now decided make it a regular feature.

The gaming industry is changing and it would be a shame for the AAA titles to be lost to mobile gaming.
- Roguey

I have a bit mixed feelings about this Smile
There are decent games available for mobile devices; Baldur's Gate, KoDP, etc. Additionally in my experience touch screen is much more useful in many complex games while gamepad is useless; Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4.

Now people may get irritated, but to me console gaming is much bigger problem. Gamepad forces to make UI very simple and that means less complexity for many types of games. Consoles are using APU that has weak CPU so games are much more GPU/graphics oriented. Nothing happens outside of your screen like in X series for example; ships are fighting, trading, etc.
Console market is huge and very tempting for developers for sure. Sometimes they are most likely "forced" get in to console business and that may mean "consolization"/"dumbing down" the game.

It is kind of funny that to me Fallout 3 and new X-COM ruined those franchises. But I still can't be mad (but only disappointed) because those games sells more than older versions and have more fans than ever. I'm sure they wouldn't have been even near as popular if they would have done old-style isometric games.

I dont exactly know about the patching of X3, but I think it would be highly unlikely. X-Rebirth is Egosoft's focus and as you said, they are a small company.
- Roguey

The patch seems to be bigger than I though. I didn't know there is already a forum post about it.

Thanks Sinxar!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Consoles are using APU that has weak CPU so games are much more GPU/graphics oriented.

True, but the CPU power is a lot better than it was with the PS3/Xbox. I think I read somewhere its an x6 increase. So I can see why companies would be looking to support them. Equally, hopefully it should mean some console games come to the PC.

The patch seems to be bigger than I though. I didn't know there is already a forum post about it.
- edqe

Looks like I was wrong - I do find it strange Egosoft are going back to TC/AP era. You think they would concluded those titles and would be moving on to the next thing. However it suggests that X-Rebirth wont be patched further.

I really think they should be looking at making X4 now. Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes, and will work with the community better.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Consoles are using APU that has weak CPU so games are much more GPU/graphics oriented.
True, but the CPU power is a lot better than it was with the PS3/Xbox. I think I read somewhere its an x6 increase. So I can see why companies would be looking to support them. Equally, hopefully it should mean some console games come to the PC.
- Roguey

Yeah true, they are much powerful compared to earlier consoles and even more importantly they have ~16x amount of memory. But in the other hand PCs are in the totally different level and the gap is getting wider and wider very fast. Not only because of hardware but now on software level too (Vulkan and DX12) - consoles loses their advantage to have a "close to metal" API.

Looks like I was wrong - I do find it strange Egosoft are going back to TC/AP era. You think they would concluded those titles and would be moving on to the next thing. However it suggests that X-Rebirth wont be patched further.

- Roguey

More patches are coming to X Rebirth and maybe extensions and DLC as well. I think it is great that they keep their games updated this long time. And why not - X games all they have (no one plays UGH! anymore Wink)

I really think they should be looking at making X4 now. Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes, and will work with the community better.
- Roguey

Hmmh, I guess this is one of the topics we disagree quite much Smile

I think they work with the community very well. They are very active in the forums and support is excellent. It is really easy to talk with Egosoft's developers and they keep improving their tools to make communication even easier.

It would be interesting to hear some thoughts what kind of game X4 could be.

Personally I hope it wouldn't be like X3 because they are designed around SETA. SETA feels cheating and a cheap trick to me. Without it the game would be pretty much unplayable.

At the moment I'm playing X Rebirth and X3:TC and honestly I have to say X Rebirth feels better - at some level much better. In the other hand it is still quite hard to compare since the games are somewhat different. And yes, X:TC is an excellent game but especially without mods I think it wouldn't be that strong. Sure there are still things I would like to see being improved in X:R but it is very strong beginning for the new engine.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.