NeuroVoider

Home Board Index » Steam » NeuroVoider

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 7 years ago.

Picture

Another twin-stick shooter rogue-lite. No idea how I even came across this game but I watched a video of it and decided to try it out. I will let the official trailer do some talking.

Sadly it is only local co-op. I recorded a bit of footage myself as usual, and here it is. First section is a first boss. I don't want to say it is the first boss because there seems to be different ones. The second section is a large level, complete with me not using my class skill properly.

After every level you get a chance to switch out parts. You can also scrap any unwanted items to use for crafting new ones or other things like rerolling levels or healing yourself. If you find something particularly good, you may want to boost it by using scrap to make it better.

The game is not without faults though. As you seen in the trailer, there is a lot of procedurally generated loot. In my video I picked up most of it just to scrap it. Even with all the variety, everything feels similar. I typically like to take a phaser and a rocket launcher in to levels. While I may have picked up 5 different phasers in the last level with different models, they are still phasers with slightly different stats. They all shoot the same and have the same range. I appreciate the devs went though the trouble of making all the different sprites but in reality there are only a few weapon types. The same goes for enemies and levels themselves. On occasion there is a stutter but that is quite rare and otherwise maintains a solid 60 FPS even in the most intense battles (even while recording). The only other gripe I have is you seem to get suck on the corners of objects and pits easily. I feel that this is due to the movement hitbox of your robot being different than your model. This only seems to affect movement, the damage hitbox fits your bot correctly so you are not taking unfair damage.

Overall the controls are quite good (using Xbox 360 controller) and this game is the only twin-stick shooter i've played where it is actually easier to use the controller than the mouse and keyboard. Graphically it is solid and looks good enough. They nailed the SNES era aesthetic and it doesn't feel overdone like Hotline Miami.

This game recently came out of early access and is available on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/ for $14 USD.

For $14 it is a good time waster. Maybe not as deep as The Binding of Isaac, but it sure is fun. The levels are short enough that you can do one in 10 minutes or less. You can save and exit between levels and there is also daily runs with leaderboards. Recommended for fans of the rogue-lite genre.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 7 years ago.

You do seem to like those 8 bit style games eh? Well it does look fairly interesting but when watching your video there seemed to be a lot of shaking when firing your gun; in some ways it was off putting. I guess there is no way to reduce the effect? it would make me not want to fire Smile

I guess there isnt much weapon customization? nothing like what you see in borderlands for example? just slightly different stats? understandable.

it is likely online coop will be added? is it just 2 player coop?

ps. have you ever thought about writing reviews? I do have a section for that, and you seem to like those 8 bit games.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 7 years ago.

You can turn off screen shake.

You need to log-in to post here.