Bastion

Home Board Index » Steam » Bastion

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Picture

I picked this game up last year for my birthday. Its made by Supergiant Games as their first. They tried to stand out with this game and for all intents and purposes it worked. The artwork is excellent and the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. Even now, quite a long time after release I still see Bastion on the Steam front page fairly often.

This game is more of an interactive story book with the narrator talking all the time. As such, there is little replay value unless you are just going for achievements. I played through it once when I got it and I installed it again when I got my new Xbox 360 controller the other day (Yep, trying to find excuses to use it =P). I've forgotten how good of a story it is and the music is amazing.

The difficulty system is fairly straightforward. Instead of just choosing easy or hard, you "invoke the gods" at a shrine and it will give enemies bonuses or abilities while increasing the amount of XP or currency dropped by defeating them. That way it makes everybody happy, with all the shrines active it becomes a nearly impossible game unless you are very experienced. There are optional story areas called Who Knows Where which is basically you sleeping and the narrator tells you part of the story for each wave of foes you defeat. This doubles as a way to farm XP and currency for upgrades.

There is a decent selection of weapons to use and some combo's work better than others as you can imagine. The narrator talks about your actions and things happening around you along with the story, so its never really the same thing, but mostly similar. Plus his voice sounds awesome. If my voice sounded like that I would do Let's Plays all the time and get some voice over work. Overall the game combines pretty areas, great voice acting and amazing music into a singular experience called Bastion.

You play "The Kid". "The Stranger" is the narrator (AKA Rucks). Zulf and Zia are two survivors of the "Calamity". Zulf and Zia are of the race of people known as the Ura. Zulf tried to destroy the Bastion and ran off east to the Ura. You go after him because the last shard you need to fix the Bastion is there.

Jawson Bog is my favorite area. Mainly because of The Kids dream.

I know its unlikely anybody wants this game or will ever play it so here is a long vid of the last area. I recommend watching the entire thing and listen to what the narrator says. Even though it may not make much sense if you don't know the story, it gives a good overview of the entire game with the music and events.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Looks like a strange game; at-least first I thought it maybe a little... poor but after watching the video for a bit it looked much better. It kind-of looks like Diablo meets Borderlands? graphically anyway.

The narrator doesnt he bug you? as it would for me, or aleast i'd would miss half the things he says because of random comments in mid-battles.

I guess its a single player only game?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Nah the narrator is cool, at least I like it. Its a bit different but its a good idea for a game. My main gripes about it is that its so short and you run so slowly. There is a NG+ feature (was in NG+ with idols active in the Jawson Bog vid) but other than that its like a 5 hour max campaign unless you go really slow for some reason. Its single player only but there is a leaderboard integrated with Steam, not that it really means anything.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hmmm.. well if you only get 5 hours max then it seems a bit pricey, as its not that cheap on steam atm... well, maybe its me but after the steam sales. There were some great deals on then.

... [update] its on today's steam sale LOL (with 75% off)

You need to log-in to post here.