XBox 360 controller

Home Board Index » Steam » XBox 360 controller

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hi, I wonder if any of you use an XBox360 controller for steam games, and how easy it is to use? is it simply plug 'n play?

I do have a PS3 controller, however it needs DS3 app and drivers to get it to work. The controller doesnt work straight away sometimes, has it needs to be configured differently for different games. Its not a requirement, although I can get the PS3 controller wireless if I replace the normal windows bluetooth drivers with DS3 own. Although this can lead to 10-15mins playing with the drivers to get it to work.

The reason for all the problems, is Sony had tried to make the PS3 controller only work with a PS3.

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

i play reunion with a 360 controler but mine itsnt steam and its the resautl of a program a frind of mine wrote to make it work. It works with TC and AP as well but not as good because you dont have to move the ship to much to fire the weapons in TC.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. so, you cant simply plug 'n play?

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

i wouldnt know i have the CD's for the game not steam. And as i said a frind wrote a program for me to use so i can use a 360 controler with the x games.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

hey i bought and downloaded the steam version of TC it is a plug in and play but there is a catch. The controles suck it seams like there is a dely in control of the ship and the opening of menues. I would not recommend this.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

hey i bought and downloaded the steam version of TC it is a plug in and play but there is a catch. The controles suck it seams like there is a dely in control of the ship and the opening of menues. I would not recommend this.
- caffeeine

The Xbox 360 controller is unsupported in TC and AP is why its like that. One of the main problems is the triggers are linked. Support is supposed to be added in the next AP update. Not sure if it will be added to TC or not though (in fact the update may have been released already - 3.0).

Obviously if it is supported by the game it will be plug and play. If it doesn't there seems to be an issue with how the triggers are mapped and the buttons are in a strange order. There are technically drivers for the controller but it works the same without them. The 'drivers' are more for the wireless versions. its just a little xbox logo that shows what controllers are active and a huge area to click for basic help.

For Steam itself, I have not tested Big Picture Mode as it isn't something that is useful for me. I read that it works with the controller though, as it should as thats the point of it.

If you had a wired PS3 controller you could use x360ce to emulate the xbox controller easily and on a per game basis. Its what I used with my old crappy madcatz controller to make it work like [and be seen as] an xbox 360 controller (we talked about it before in the Dark Souls thread). The only reason its plug and play like that is because the game devs added in the proper support for the controller out of the box. Much like the Games for Windows LIVE! program how a game must be able to do some things and be 100% compatible with the controller with no setup.

You would just have to inspect the game forums and see if it is supported properly. Some games make it a point to slam it in your face that it works with the controller (Baston). Some games are setup to work with PS3 or Xbox 360 controllers (Dark Souls). Others are completely unsupported (X3:TC and earlier). A rule of thumb is any recent game that is published with a large game company (such as EA) or a console port will work with it - if - it is designed with a controller in mind. Games like Simcity 4 has a high chance of being compatible even though it seems like it wouldn't (its a console port). Hypothetically, Homeworld 1 & 2 (as example) prolly would not be compatible if it was recently released. Its a point and click type strategy game that is PC only.

tl;dr - its plug n play with newer games that are a console port or released by a large publisher.

(the site went down when I was trying to reply, I had this window open for hours waiting lol)

ps: If you decide to get one, I would recommend getting a wired controller if possible. You can use a wireless one but you also have to buy a wireless adapter to go with it, basically doubling the price for the controller.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmmm.. doesnt sound as easy as I thought.

I can get a PS3 controller to work wireless on the PC with MotioninJoy and a blue-tooth adaptor, or wired. MotioninJoy has a few options for the PS3 controller, such as emu x360, ps2/3 style etc. However it sounds like it might be better to stick with it? especially since it wont cost me any extra.

Picture

I guess, once the PS3 controller is setup, it not so bad. It might of made things worse when I was switching between control types. I do think the PS3 controller should be fine in X3TC/AP, has I can switch away from a Xbox360 controller, to a normal joystick.

Anyway, thanks guys for your input... pun :p

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've just been experimenting getting a 360 pad to work with TC, via Xpadder (very smart little program). I have to say I'm quite impressed with the results tbh. There is a very minor lag with things like opening menus, but for personal pilot control it's not bad at all.

My only real gripe with setting it up was the amount of testing involved. I think I was tweaking the settings for about three hours lol.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well I got an Xbox 360 controller for Easter. I haven't tested it with steam yet, however it seems to work fine with my nexus. Its much better playing the emulators with a full controller.

Adjoint

Adjoint avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 8 years ago.

I got an xbox360 controller and I play Project Cars and Assetto Corsa with it (through Steam).
It works very well and it is fun. Really plug & play. No problems at all Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

indeed, Ive been using the xbox 360 controller for awhile now on Steam. I have even changed to the wireless controller (which is easier for me), although it required an extra wireless receiver to be used on the PC.

You need to log-in to post here.