Tomb raider

Home Board Index » Steam » Tomb raider

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Picture

Hi, I wondering if anyone has played/thought about getting tomb-raider for the pc?

I got a copy a few days ago, and its been very impressive: from the general game-play, too graphics and so on. Tomb raider has diffidently borrowed things from other games, such as Uncharted, prince of Persia etc. However this inst a bad thing, has most of the elements it borrows are things I like.

So far tomb-raider has to be most like Uncharted, however unlike uncharted Lara is seems more vulnerable - feeling remorse for her actions - like killing someone. In Uncharted, Drake would be quite happy to moan down whole armies without even feeling sad about it. I do like this, as it makes lara seem more human than drake.

Graphic wise, its very impressive - if you got the hardware to keep up with it:

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture

atm, im running the game with tressfx, which replaces the bluky hair mesh (often used in most games) with actual strands of hair. Its not prefect by no-means: has it is very demanding on the hardware (has you can imagine by rendering each strand of hair) but it marks a good step-forward. Hopefully we will start seeing more things like tressfx hair, as it just looks so much better:

Ill have to do a few more screen-shots - if you guys are interested.

ps. The Xbox360 controller works perfectly with it too - as it knows all the buttons and that. Just plug it in, and play.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I used to play the old Tomb Raider series but when they started releasing movies it just killed the entire franchise for me. Don't know why, but I hated the movies so much that I simply ignored the games from that point on.

The graphics do look really good though, but i'm sure my PC wouldn't be able to keep up with it. I'm trying to solve that problem now and hopefully I can build a new PC by the end of this year (with my current one taking up server duty yay!).

I shouldn't be so harsh in judging Tomb Raider as the games stay mostly true to the original series with updates. There is a chance I could pick it up at a later date but with my crappy PC and lack of any real motivation to get this, it will be quite a while before I get it.

I kinda wanted to get Simcity but the DRM is crazy. I'm the type of person who will go back and play my old games years after they are released. With that type of DRM, it will be a miracle if the servers are up a year from now. Either way I will have to give this a pass for the moment. I think just you and me are the only people here who play anything other than the X series hehe. Just got out of the hospital about 2 weeks ago and i'm fairly busy with trying to figure some stuff out. I mean I haven't even had time to upload anymore LP vids, I have 3 more ready to go, but don't want to leave my PC on all day while im gone.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well DRM wise, tomb-raider is fine: no extra DRM just than steam (which im fine with). I was looking at Batman: Arkham City the other day, I would of brought it (on special) but having 3rd party DRM (securom) put me off. I found GTA4 to be even worse: steam, social club, securom and GFW - 4 DRM's is just stupid! Sim city might of been good if it wasnt on origin, and a EA title.

has for the old tomb-raiders; your be probably shocked to hear but I never used to play them. The only one ive played was Guardian of Light, but that's not like the normal tomb-raider series (top-down view). So you're probably wondering why I picked up the new tomb-raider? well it looked a great game, the reviews seem good and it looked a bit like the uncharted series (which is never a bad thing). The Uncharted games have been great games, although they havnt really pushed forward - Uncharted 3 being a bit of a disappointment although still a great game. Uncharted games are exclusive to Sony unfortunately. I have played and platinumed (got 100% of achievements) all 3, PS3 games.

However, im glad to say Tomb-raider has been a very good game so far; the best ive brought for a long time - only a few games are rememberable like tomb-raider.

ps. the pictures above came from my pc rendering the game at 30+ fps, with tress on (if you look at her hair).

[update - a few more pics (all in-game)[/update]

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

btw, there is 50% off on steam this weekend, if anyone is interested: Tomb Raider,

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Tomb Raider is $3.99 USD right now. $5.99 USD for the GOTY edition.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Tomb Raider is $3.99 USD right now. $5.99 USD for the GOTY edition.
- Sinxar

And has a person who had played it, well worth it!

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

I really liked it! It brought a much needed sense of humanity to the series, which I found was lacking in the older games. Lara feels like a person now, and the challenges she faces seem almost real. I think the developers did a great job.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 7 years ago.

Well, we been playing rise of the tomb raider and it feels like a bit of disappointment to be honest. It seems like they have lost the humanity side of things. Its also been very easy too - even on the hardest mode - survival. Shame really.

You need to log-in to post here.