Will this ever be released

Home Board Index » Star Citizen » Will this ever be released

maxi19

maxi19 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 6 years ago.

In 2011, Chris Roberts founded Cloud Imperium Games, together with his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth, to work on a new game. In October, 2012, Cloud Imperium Games launched a crowdfunding campaign on their web-page to produce a space sim game, Star Citizen, later add a Kickstarter campaign in conjunction. By November, 2012, they had earned $6,238,563, surpassing all stretch goals set for the campaigns, and breaking video game industry crowdfunding records. Chris Roberts had stated that if at least $23 million could be raised over the course of the crowdfunding campaign, no outside investors' or developers' funding would be required. This goal was reached October 18, 2013.

All that ever seems to be released are videos and requests for more funding.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

While there is no release date for Star Citizen currently, project lead Chris Roberts states there will not be a traditional commercial launch, but instead when the beta is deemed "good enough", they will declare a formal release. However, the game is playable as it is developed, like many modern titles. Roberts also states they recently entered the "content stage" of development, where the underlying technology is mostly complete, and world building and gameplay can be focused on.

This is only just occurring because a lot of new technology had to be developed to execute the game to the scale and fidelity the game aims to offer. The latest released roadmap takes the development to the end of 2017, around which time the game can be expected to enter beta. It may be reasonable to expect initial launch (which will not include every single feature listed in the RSI stretchgoals page and countless other outlets, and will make about 60 of the 110 planned star systems available) by the end of 2018.

Source: http://www.starcitizenstatus.com/

edqe prolly knows a lot more.

However I should point out it hasn't actually been in development for that long, only about 4 years. The main differences here is the development is public facing whereas the majority of software studios are very secretive and you don't see anything from them until the product is nearly complete. For example, The Witcher 3 took 4 years to develop with a highly experienced team and generous reuse of sets from previous games. Star Citizen, while different is at least equally complex all the while coming up with new systems and facing challenges that has not even been attempted by anyone else yet. Combine that with the extreme attention to detail required by the people who are funding the game directly and you have a long development cycle. It isn't based on a single thing like Elite: Dangerous (procedural galaxy). Entirely new systems have to be created from scratch.

Realistically I wouldn't expect the actual final product until 2019 - 2020. It is playable to a degree now though. You can get in there and test new modules and pvp. I'm not saying it will be good though.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

I pretty much agree everything what Sinxar wrote.

edqe prolly knows a lot more.
- Sinxar

:) well, no one knows for sure and of course the project may still totally fail. It has been sad to see that there are people who makes everything they can to make the project fail.

Everyone has to make their own decision if they are willing to support the project now or wait and see if the project will be ever released. But to me personally the game offers something others doesn't and that already good reason enough me to support the project. Also I really like CIG's ambitious goals which kind of I would like to see much more in gaming industry.

Alpha 3.0 is an important milestone because it is kind of base to whole project. That's the phase where everything else will be build on. If Alpha 3.0 will be anything they have shown so far I have more faith than ever that CIG is actually able to implement the whole project.

SeanWarrenSmith

SeanWarrenSmith avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 6 years ago.

I have uninstalled the game and only have the starter scout ship. I am not putting anymore into this game

You need to log-in to post here.