Squadron 42

Home Board Index » Star Citizen » Squadron 42

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Monthly Squadron 42 AtV special is now out. Although SQ42 is not hugely interesting to me I really like how they are trying to build "living breathing world". Hopefully they would be able to implement one.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

thanks for sharing the video. these videos make me wonder if SC will ever be released - still so much development work to be done.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

thanks for sharing the video. these videos make me wonder if SC will ever be released - still so much development work to be done.
- Roguey

The project is enormous and there is definitely work to do but doesn't these videos and PU Alpha releases show that the project is progressing well?
These videos are just part of all information they are sharing and way to communicate with the community. Forums and chat is a great way to discuss with them and give feedback.
For example: Gravlev Q&A

Sean Tracy and Steve Bender talked about what big technical features are still required to be integrated and it seems Object Container Streaming is the last major one. It is currently scheduled to be released in Alpha 3.3. It is a hard to say when it will be integrated to Squadron 42 repository/branch.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

thanks for sharing the video. these videos make me wonder if SC will ever be released - still so much development work to be done.- Roguey
The project is enormous and there is definitely work to do but doesn't these videos and PU Alpha releases show that the project is progressing well?
- edqe

Indeed, it does look like the project is progressing nicely; just that the final release wont be any-time soon. It probably doesnt help that im not a big fan of long videos Smile

Is the release date this year? or next? thanks,

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Hmmh, tough question Smile

I don't think there is any change to get Squadron 42 episode 1 this year and lots of depends if they are going to take shortcuts; use Lumberyard's AI, fake universe, etc. I don't believe they are going to do that but use their own Subsumption AI, share the universe with PU, etc. so it will take much more time.
If they are able to implement "living & breathing universe" it must require tons of extra work for testing as well. It is not just that NPCs are standing in a one location and move only when the game state changes like for example in Mass Effect but if the NPCs has 24/7 routines and walk around the ship doing things the changes they get stuck, AI fails, etc. is way higher.

Considering all the tech, balancing and testing work they have to still do I would expect Squadron 42 episode 1 be released 2020 at earliest. I hope they are not going to release the game earlier by taking shortcuts but taking all time required and making the game with their own tech. I'm not in hurry and I'm already enjoying testing P(T)U Smile

Are you waiting SQ42 more than PU?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 5 years ago.

A beautiful new Squadron 42 trailer. The engine gets better and better ...

SpicyGun

SpicyGun avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 2 years ago.

i don't think they will release SC or squadron 42..., they have a good income with the alpha....

You need to log-in to post here.