How do you expand your cargo hold on Sidewinder

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » How do you expand your cargo hold on Sidewinder

Xious

Xious avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 9 years ago.

Well I figured out how "not" to do it.

I tried buying a 2 space rack but instead of adding it to my existing 4 space rack, it just replaced it. Now I only have a 2 ton capacity.

Hmmm... that's a bit aggravating...Now I find that you just need to buy a Bigger rack...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

Its been a long time since ive been in a Sidewinder. However each ship has modules which you can replace. These modules have classes like class 2 etc. The higher the class, the better things you can install.

For example, in a class 2 slot, you can install either class 1 or 2 modules. Say you want cargo space, you can install either 2 or 4 unit cargo bay; since the 2 unit is class 1, and the 4 unit is class 2. However to install a 8 unit cargo module, you will need a class 3 slot.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Xious

Xious avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Ethom

Ethom avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 9 years ago.

You probably only know this but you really can not up grade cargo in sidewinder unless you drop something like shields. Good place to check out ship and what you can put on them is www.edshipyard.com

CobraMk2

CobraMk2 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 9 years ago.

I wouldn't worry too much about cargo space in your sidewinder. Just keep doing those BB missions and then upgrade to a hauler or an adder asap.
Personally I go for the risky slave transporter missions. Sometimes you can even be asked to find 2 slaves at a starport that actually sells them!!!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Id also second the hauler if youre trading. The extra space makes a huge difference, just dont enter into many battles with it. The sidewinder can put a little defence up. Im not sure about the Adder - as I was using a bigger ship before it was added to the game.

Daywalker46410

Daywalker46410 avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

I moved from the SW to the Hauler for trading pretty quickly, but then upgraded to the Cobra. The thing has great cargo capacity, decent range and can reasonably fight off or run away from most anything that manages to interdict me.

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Level badge Conqoguey (21)
Posted 9 years ago.

If you are "crazy" enough you can even swap some of your equipment.
Sell your class 3 shield and put a nice cargo hold instead.
The idea is to put lower class shield(like class 2 if possible) in a class 2 slot.

Have a look at this document external link to see how much different classes impact your shield strenght.
[edit] The document link above was thought to be correct but.. it seems to be an outdated/incorrect one.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Have a look at this document external link to see how much different classes impact your shield strength.
- DHLF

Well, over the past day or two ive been looking into the formula for shield strength. There appears to be two versions floating around, one being correct (as far as we know), the older one - wrong. This is a reply I found on the offical forums here, which is also backed up on reddit;

Thank you kindly for your answer. Can I take this as official confirmation that this formula:

SHIELD STRENGTH (in MJ) = [SHIP SHIELD RATING] * [0.53821 * erf([1.0228] * [SHIELD OPTIMAL HULL MASS] / [SHIP HULL MASS] - 0.66391) - 0.0588 * [NUMBER OF RATING LEVELS BELOW A] + 0.56377]

and this table are wrong:

shield strength : Ship Shield Table

shows Droship has 147 effective shield value with 6A shield, which is 75% of 200, it's shield rating. And Python has 389 with 6A, which is very close to the 390 shield rating.
- remosito

My newly updated ship pages works on the above formula, So they should be correct. The link you gave has numbers from the old formula (if you compare them with the link in the quote).

Flinx100

Flinx100 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 9 years ago.

my advise is get rid of the discovery scanner and fit a 4 cargo rack

You need to log-in to post here.