Which ship is good per board killing mission ?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Which ship is good per board killing mission ?

Adjoint

Adjoint avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 8 years ago.

A few days ago I started playing Ed and I must say that it is very good Smile

1st of all I started to mine but the process is so different than Eve that I stopped it.
I expected it to have automatic scooping and not manual one. There are modules to do it but the range is too short even if u buy the expensive ones.

So I decide to focus on killing and trade missions.

For trade missions it is easy to understand if u can do it or not because you can see how far it is and h much cargo capacity is needed.

My problem is that I don't understand what ship is needed for the rest of missions.
I am not referring only to the type of the mission but at the rank of difficulty too.

For example , in a few days I will be able to have a Cobra and I will start equipping it better and better when I have the necessary credits.
The problem is that I don't know if it will be good enough for all missions.
Normally each type of mission will need its specific kind of ship and according to its difficulty a better ship (or not) will be needed.

I don't want to lose my Cobra so I know if the mission was right for my ship or not (Cobra is just an example).

Normally there should be something (reputation ? rank ? system I am in ?) that you could understand if u can do the mission or not. For example a mission may need a cobra to be done or an Anacoda since the npcs r stronger and better.

In Eve Online it is easy to identify it by the level of the agent (here board) who gives you the mission and the list of the ship types that can do it.

Thank you Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

If you are good at combat, a viper is more than enough to kill anacondas. I used the cobra for a long time on these missions. You can tell what you are hunting by the reward or sometimes the description.

For example a pirate lord is an anaconda. If the bounty is 140k+ it is an anaconda or a python. The important part is finding a loadout that works for you. beam lasers to take out the shields and multicannons for the hull is what I used to use. I don't know if they still spawn pirate Orcas or not. It was uncommon but sometimes instead of an anaconda it would be an orca.

A new ship was added recently, the Vulture. I have not used it but people seem to really like it. With the 2x large hardpoints it packs a lot of firepower.

Unlike Eve, the only limitation for missions is where your ship can dock. Outpost only have small and medium ports while a starport can accept any ship size. You don't have to worry about this until you get up into the large ship classes like the Clipper or Type-7/Type-9.

However much like Eve, make sure you can afford your insurance several times over before upgrading to a new ship. As you have probably found out by now, even the smallest mistake can kill you. Getting rammed by ships in the mail slot is quite common. In a cobra or viper it is possible to be two shotted by a railgun.

Personally I found the Asp Explorer to be one of the best all-rounders. It has heavy firepower and the cargohold to trade professionally. Not to mention the extremely high jump range.

If you are going for money, trading is where it's at. If you are playing solo mode rare trading is quite good. Online I don't recommend it. A type-6 trading the right item can net you around 350k - 500k per trade run.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

Yes, generally mining is still pretty bad - even with the v1.3 boosts. Your simply better off doing something else, like trading or combat. At-least in v1.3 the combat rewards were improved, so its another viable option to trading.

As for what ship to use for missions, well it depends. The higher ranking missions will need bigger and better ships (because of cargobay requirement/what your fighting), but will pay more. There is no ship requirement, as long as you meet the mission requirements.

Some ships arent designed for combat, such as the type 6/7/9. Although some people use a Type 9 as battle-cow - but personally I wouldnt recommend it. I do not have Elite ranks but ive not seen any mission to need 400 units of cargo space, only like 50 (which can be done in a cobra).

To be honest, the BBS has gotten a lot better now. In the past it didnt really check much, and allowed you to take missions on that you couldnt complete. Now I wouldnt say its great at checking, sometimes you need to see if you can get there but it generally lets you know if you can or cant do a mission.

I havnt really tried a Vulture either but when taking ships down, it always takes awhile for its shields to be taken down. Its a good fighter but not much of a trader.

The Asp is indeed a good alrounder, like the Cobra.

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

The Vulture is glorious, it's like an Eagle on steroids! I also like the Asp Explorer, I'll probably keep it as my primary ship until I can eventually afford a Federal Corvette.

If you can't afford any of those, a Viper MkIII is a great little fighter, has a lot more firepower and shields/armor than an Eagle, too.

Matrixneo22

Matrixneo22 avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 7 years ago.

Vulture is a beast...

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

Forgot to mention, if you want a cheaper alternative to the Asp Explorer that's good at combat but can do everything else fairly well look into a Viper Mk 4.

You need to log-in to post here.