sheild boosters

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » sheild boosters

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 8 years ago.

Ok guys i am puzzled. What is the diffence between sheild booster and sheils cell banks? Bi know cell banks need ammo of some sort boosters need a keyboard button.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

Boosters give a % increase to your shield amount passively. Banks need ammo and a hotkey, they inject energy into your shield system to make it recharge much faster (has no effect on collapsed shields).

Also banks generate a lot of heat. Using 2 or 3 at once can destroy critical systems so be careful when using them.

To recap, Shield Boosters are passive and always active as long as they are on. Shield Cell Banks use ammo and need a hotkey. They generate a lot of heat when used but make your shield recharge faster.

Another thing you may or may not know is that putting pips in System makes your shield much stronger. At max System with shield boosters you are practically a flying tank if your ship has a high base shield stat (ex, the Imperial Courier). The downside is they use a lot of power from the reactor thus limiting what you can realistically fit. Also boosting your shield strength with boosters has the side effect of making shield cell banks seem less effective because you have so much shield even though it is restoring the same amount.

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Thanks i understand better. It sounds like i can use boosters and cell banks toghter. Boostet ti keep sheilds up longer, banks to recharge faster when they are recharging

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

You got it. If you are interested, somebody did a bunch of experiments with shield tanking. I haven't looked for it in a long time but it has some useful information. It is where I found out about putting pips in system increases your shield resistances or something like that.

So how are you getting along in game?

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Well good got a asp exploere for main ship i will br adding a sheild booster in place the heat sink. Use it for normal everyday duties. A cobra mk3 for mining . Picked up s viper mk4 last night . Salesman used it ad a demo so got got goofprice, traded in my adder for it. I pyt a sheildbooster and a sheild cell bank on . Going to try use it forcombatto see gow it work, will not be replacing asp. Got about 4 mil in bank. Eyeing a python for sale so got a bit to go

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

Bare in mind, you can fit shield boosters without effecting your internal compartments; so as a trader you wont loose cargo space. They are also a good way of using up that spare power (if you got any).

Shield banks are more for combat purposes - where you need your shield up fast.

Eyeing a python for sale so got a bit to go
- Scott

Gonna need a few more million then :p

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

I noticed some players put two cell banks on their ship. Wil the game do both at the same time or each one seperate? Oot of heat build up

You need to log-in to post here.