Future of Elite: Dangerous

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Future of Elite: Dangerous

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

ObsidianAnt talks a bit about his view of current state of Elite Dangerous.

Where would you like Elite to be after a year?

I'm still waiting for 'space legs' and ability to be more interactive with other players so I could finally start my role-playing.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

hmm.. after watching that video, it appears that ObsidianAnt seems a little disappointed with Elite? I do agree some updates have hit-n-miss rather than improving existing mechanics. I dont think anything needs to be done with trading however, thats fine the way it is. Exploration could do with so major improvements, but I guess thats not everyone cup-of-tea.

Atm I think Frontier are focusing their efforts on the PS4 version, after-which we should have some news on 2.4. Frontier are very much into making money, which I cant blame them. So bringing it out on as many platforms makes them the most money, but equally means they spread their resources.

I wonder if the season thing might be scrapped too, as season 2 has taken much longer than they thought. I got a feeling that 2.4 will be about the aliens, as that would be a great ending to the season.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

ObsidianAnt's latest video is pretty promising and it is interesting to hear what new stuff will be coming to Elite. Sounds like some big changes will be included - I'm personally pretty happy to hear that. Braben talked years ago his vision of Elite and first person gameplay was big part of that so I'm expecting they tell about "space legs". There was some rumors(?) that player per instance will be increased to about 120.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

I got a feeling that 2.4 will be about the aliens, as that would be a great ending to the season.
- Roguey

I am being spammed with Elite emails with one of the latest saying:

It proves what we suspected. They’re back. And the whole galaxy needs to know. The Thargoids have returned.

So yeah. Aliens. I have issue with staying interested in Elite for any length of time.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

I'm disappointed but I guess their announcement was pretty expected and has been rumored for a long time. I would have hoped to hear what we can expect from season 3.

I wonder how well 2.4 works for solo players ...

edit: I'm not a huge fan of ED (yet) but to me it looks like community has been a bit too harsh against FD. Game development is slow and hard so making big changes takes lots of time and effort. Gaming sites should talk way more about developing games so people would get better picture what is going on.

arnack

arnack avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 6 years ago.

The thing I'm thinking about that could really help them out in development, is not so much the interaction in stations and other facilities. But they've opened a BIG adventure type setting with planet and lunar exploration. Now what would really be sweet is being able to interact with the populated earthlike worlds. Because even though it's one if not the BEST functioning space sims on the market, when something like Star Citizen comes out full on, in it's present state Elite D. is gonna take a huge hit. And that's gonna bring on some depressive anx. on the developers to try to keep up. Let's face it, SC is gonna inthral some Elite players. But personally I'm gonna stick with Elite just because they've really done a GREAT job in their current development. And have plans, I think, will keep us interested. And yeah your gonna have bugs. But that's with any program out their as complicated in design. OK, thats my 2 cents.

Out here, Com. Tumal

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

And that's gonna bring on some depressive anx. on the developers to try to keep up. Let's face it, SC is gonna inthral some Elite players.
- arnack

I really hope there will be zero amount of ED vs SC fighting between players but they would keep enjoying both of the games and many others (X-series, DUAL Universe, HELLION, etc.). Well, this is Internet and that's not going to happen.
ED and SC are different kind of games and hopefully it stays like that in the future as well. It is good to be able to jump between games if one gets "bored" and continue later when motivation returns.

Space sim genre has made a great comeback.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Current weapons will be ineffective vs. Thargoids?
Thargoids need extreme cold, so that'll be thermal weapons then...

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

I really hope there will be zero amount of ED vs SC fighting between players but they would keep enjoying both of the games and many others (X-series, DUAL Universe, HELLION, etc.).
- edqe

Well in my experience, there will be some but generally the space-sim fans seem to be a better bunch. SC will bound to effect ED for awhile, but the full SC is a long time away. As you said, its a very interesting time for space sims - glad to see them making a return! ps. wee might have X4 too.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

I've put together a couple of test loadouts for dealing with Thargoids.
Based on the hypothesis that they don't respond well to being cooked I've used Retribution lasers initially on a Viper, then realised that I can stick the same armament on my Cobra, potentially with more armour/shielding.
That brings up the second item, in Hyperdiction the ships systems go down which causes problems in a gravity well. I'm unsure of the effect on shields, logically they should drop as well but they appear to remain intact despite the lack of power, and when power is restored they are at full in videos, or at least I haven't noticed them needing to recharge.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...

You need to log-in to post here.