Hello England!

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Hello England!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 9 years ago.

Heyo folks,

I've just moved to the Great Isle and wanted to get in contact with those of you living here. Currently I'm in Exeter, but we'll be moving to london quite soon. Really hope to be able to catch some of ya for a beer/tea Wink

I'd also like to take this oportunity to ask something rather specific. You see, I couldn't bear to part with my PC, so I took it apart and brought it in a suitcase...the problem being that I did not imagine it to be so hard to find a new/used case for it, but as it turns out thiz is not as easy. So if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it (actually I need 2 cases, the other being for my gf's pc). Of course I'm willing to pay something, but it needs to be cheap Wink

Hope to see you folks soon Wink

Ps: roguey, I added you as friend on steam (hawk416404)

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hi there NetHawk, its been a long time! For awhile I wondered where you went, although I didnt think you moved countries! How are you liking it in Exeter? London is a busy place and expensive.

lol, I love the story about putting your pc in a suitcase. Did you have any problems with customs?

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Thanks for the welcome meight Wink
So far I must say that I like Exeter much better then London. Like you said, busy and frakin expensive Wink
My girlfriend got a job here though, she likes the work and team, and they seem to like her, so London it is for us. We just moved to a small apartment on monday, still don't have an internet connection, so all I post comes from bars with wifi Smile
Incidentally, would you be able to recommend an ISP? There seems to be many, but I heard that some do serious breaches in security (e.g. monitoring my connection) while others have tricks with upload/download limits. Not really looking for the cheapest, but since there is a good chance that we work from home, we need a relliable line (e.g. My VPN doesn't crash because I went over 1GB in upload and they cut it to 10kbs).
Other then that, we'll go to Exeter for the weekend, meeting some friends and going to pick up our computers Wink
If anyone is around there at the time, I'd love to meet.
as for airport security, they didn't even look twice...they were more interested in my boots (which have steel hooks for the laces), then the 2 20kg heavy suitcases full of electronics Wink
We were both surprised by how little they cared, altough it was in the hold of the plane and we made sure to keep all fluids in our other bags just in case :p
I'm also looking for work, since I left my job in order to make the move, so if anyone got any pointers (not the &03313759 kind ;p ) on how to get IT jobs here, please share them.
PS: where you from exactly rougey? I might make a trip to visit you for a beer Wink
PPS: I'll post pictures of the computers in their cases once I got them, we even made a quick setup cause Jasna (my gf) had to work a couple of days out of Exeter, with the computer being loose on a desk, wires everywhere and monitors right in front. The friend we stayed at walked in, made a shocked face and just said: Matrix! You bloody hackers! Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

hi there,

London is definitely busy and expensive - ive only been there a handful of times. How is the apartment?

as for ISP's, well there is a handful to choose from. Although most of them use the BT network in some-form, apart from a few like Virgin Media (although the upload is pretty bad, thinking of switching to BT myself). Im not sure where you heard about monitoring the connection, I doubt that happens (maybe in rare-cases were the police have a valid reason of-course).

I can some-what understand why security wernt so much bothered about the heavy suitcases. In the past there been shoe-bombers, hiding things. However if your carrying on heavy suitcases then your not really hiding anything, plus they would normally get scanned before being put onto the aeroplane.

as for jobs, ive been looking for awhile. IT does seem one of the harder ones to get into to be honest. Whilst job redundancy hasnt been as bad as some other places, quite a few companies havnt been hiring more staff when they leave. Making staff do more, with little more pay. In London this might be different.

as for where I live, im in Reading (Berkshire) - around 50 miles west of London.

ps. It would be interesting to see your pictures.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

A wonderfull day to everyone!

It's been a wild few months since I last posted, so I thought a small update was in order.
So we got settled in London, I found a really good contract with one of the major phone and laptop retailers in the UK, working on developing a new toolset for AWS Cloud platform and others. We also moved out of our original apartment into something a little more spacious and closer to our workplaces.

I have to say at this point, that the first few months in the UK have been quite rough as the legislation about imigration and working seems to be changing daily towards closing the borders. Not to speak of the huge problems I had in opening a bank account, it took me a solid eight months to manage opening one and even then it was only a cashminder account... funny part is, at the point when they decided to open my account, I was already working for about six month on one of the biggest projects of this company, being vetted by CBR check and other far more complicated checks then what banks look for. Oh well, it's sorted now, so I can't complain any further Smile

As for internet, I've settled with Zen in the end, they are the most expensive one I considered, but the only one giving all the features I wanted (multiple static IP's, no network control, no blocked websites etc.). Really happy with them so far, the advertised speed is achieved and I didn't have any network outages yet (/my kocks on wood) Smile

As for gaming, I didn't really have any time to play, but since Thanksgiving/BlackFriday/CyberMonday was just around I decided it was time for me to build a machine from scratch (last one I made is about 10 years ago). It's not done yet, but hopefully will be finished this weekend and then I can post some pictures Big grin
(and pictures of our arrival to the UK too! Big grin )

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

hi there net, geez its been a long time! I guess because of all the problems you were having. Glad to hear you sorted them.

Im not surprised about the bank to be honest. They make it very hard work to open an account, yet when they loose countless millions - they dont bat-an-eye.

I personally never had of Zen as ISP, just BT and Virgin Media - most of the rest are simply using their networks (like Sky, uses BT). What sort-of speed are you getting? we are thinking about switching ISP in the new year; 60/3 is bad (3mbit upload).

Let us know how you get on with the PC, I always like seeing those Smile

Anyway, welcome back Wave

You need to log-in to post here.