My new PC is finally complete! (well, mostly)

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » My new PC is finally complete! (well, mostly)

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

So I have been planning this build for quite some time but just recently got the final part, the case.

I needed a new PC for a long time now and when my brother wanted me to build him one I gave him my old plan for a good gaming PC. He is using an i5-4690k with a GTX 760 in an MSI Z97 board and 8GB of RAM. It is a good PC and it does everything he wants it to. He used to use exclusively laptops then complain about how slow they were. He was blown away by how much more powerful the desktop was than his old laptop.

I needed more though. Especially CPU power for streaming and rendering so I went with an i7-4790k and a R9 280 by Asus. The motherboard is an Asus Z97-E. I used the Cryorig H7 cooler in a Fractal Design Define R5. I got a matching fan to fill up the front intake. This board has 2x PCI slots so I could use my Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer in it, it is also SLI/Crossfire compatible. I still had my Crucial MX100 256GB SSD so I popped that in there (it attaches to the back of the motherboard tray) and have a 2TB storage drive. The PSU is a CX750M, 750 watt modular. The RAM slots are all full with 4GB sticks (16GB total) it is DDR3-1600 with 9-9-9-24 timings.

So far it is pretty beast. The limiting factor in demanding games is the graphics card as you can imagine. Thinking of either getting a second R9 280 or just waiting for the newer cards to come out such as the 390X and seeing what happens then. While I do say the gfx card is the limiting factor at my resolution (2048x1152) it keeps frames well over 60FPS without heavy AA. Anything more than 4x AA is too much for it as it really isnt that powerful. I would like to get a GTX 980, or the 390X depending on which is faster.

I charged up my camera because the camera on my tablet is terrible. Turns out the regular camera is pretty bad too!

Picture Picture Picture Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

nice looking pc there sixar! I do like how your case hides the cables, as ive done what I can to make them neat but never works out.

Im glad you went with the Intel route, whilst AMD do have some nice cpu's and that they tend to be a little bit weaker than thier Intel counterparts. I tend to favour faster cores than more of them.

As with the graphic card, ive been looking into it too (when my 670GTX failed). AMD are supposedly to release their new gpu's in July. However its said that Nvidia has already got something in the wings, to steal their thunder (if the rumour is correct). So I suggest you wait until then and see what happens. If it turns into a price-wars, then it will be a good time to pick up a new gpu.

btw, does placing the psu at the bottom of the case not mean it gets filled with dust?

oh and how big are those front fans? cos they look like 140mm?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

the PSU intake is filtered and yea they are 140mm fans in the case.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 9 years ago.

Cool rig you got in there. Beer

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Cool rig you got in there.
- TheWhiteTiger

Thanks! Been having lots of fun with it. I got a Logitech G710+ mechanical keyboard now all I need is a really good mouse. I got the keyboard because I tend to wear out cheap keyboards. Went through 3 keyboards in the past 6 months, hopefully this one will last a while.

Anybody know of a good high quality mouse?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

Anybody know of a good high quality mouse?
- Sinxar

Well I do have a Logitech mouse but its been used soo much that the markings have rubbed-off, so I dont know what model it is. I think recently Logitech have been getting a bit worse quality unless you put down a fair amount of money. ie. the cheap mouse/keyboards are cheap. Awhile back mum brought a cheap Logitech mouse/keyboard combo and it felt very thin... plus a few of the keys didnt work. I thought being Logitech it would be a good minimum standard.

ps. one question - you motherboard doesnt look like its got much support in the middle? is it only supported on the outsides?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

you motherboard doesnt look like its got much support in the middle? is it only supported on the outsides?
- Roguey

It does have an extra large opening for access to the cooler backplate but all the standoffs are in the proper positions on the board itself. In other words there would be nothing there supporting it even if it was solid.

You need to log-in to post here.