Chinook on the house

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Chinook on the house

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I havnt been up for long, when today the whole of the upstairs was shook. It was enough to cause damage to my HDD - luckily nothing went wrong. I wondered what the heck was going on.

I ask mum what it was, and apparently a Chinook flew only meters from above our roof. She said you could easily see the pilot. I though maybe jacer might know if this was against any laws or such? I cant see the military being allowed to fly just meters above people's houses?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 13 years ago.

If it is a state of emergency it is allowed to fly at any hight as long as it does not crash :P
When I go flying in a little Grop Tuter which is a small two seater aircraft. We have to stay above 1000ft in a housing estate.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

wow, you fly? I guess a plane would have to fly higher although.

It felt like that Chinook was going to land on the house, surely it shouldnt been that close? Its not like a Chinook is a light aircraft.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

It's more air expirenace flying and learning to at RAF Woodvale.

Yeah, If a Chinook was classed as 'light' what would be 'heavy' that would be a sight.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 13 years ago.

this may supprise you but although i am in the air force, i have very little knowledge of flying.

from my knowledge of the US military, i'm pretty sure there are regulations on how low planes are allowed to fly depending on where they are. with the chinook being a helicopter, i'm sure it can safely fly much lower than airplanes, but i still doubt that's allowed in residential areas.

i know that here in mildenhall, there are a lot of people that complain about the noise of the US planes. i would assume that there are regulations in place to minimize this noise problem whenever there is a town close to an air base. maybe as BOZO said, in an emergency, all the rules go out the window.

i have however, noticed that piolts tend to get away with a lot of shady stuff. maybe it was an accident, or maybe they did it on purpous just to mess with people. or baybe the mission they were on just required them to fly low, and it was completley legit. reguardless, unless it becomes a regular occurance, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

in eternity, forever lasts but an instant.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

this may supprise you but although i am in the air force, i have very little knowledge of flying.
- jacer08

Oh, I thought id ask just encase. It must of been like bozo64r said, asking mum later she said it just flew over the house quickly. It did come back, but it was much higher.

I think this was a one off - hopefully it is. Its just a little unsettling when it happens. I thought the house was gonna shake to bits, although lucky enough this house has rather large roof timbers.. but still, if it was a constant thing id be more worried.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Your text goes here..
im sure it can safely fly much lower than airplanes, but i still doubt thats allowed in residential areas.
- jacer08

Chinook kick up a lot of turbulence/winds (whatever the technical word is) I am surprised it would hover that low, it would probably pick up a cat or something :P haha.

i have however, noticed that piolts tend to get away with a lot of shady stuff.
- jacer08

I know what you mean, with the British Aerospace Warton aerodrome behind my house, the typhoons get away with practically anything. It was really annoying when they were testing the Tornados they were loud!

You need to log-in to post here.