Ideas needed pls

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Ideas needed pls

ktide

ktide avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

Ok guys, this is a general call out for all Star Wars lovers and/or people that like a wee bit of it, cause i need ideas!

Some of you know me cause i started mooding for X3R with the desire to make a TC for it, SWTC ( Star Wars Total Conversion ) was the plan and i have loads of hours placed on it, i have almost 300 ships made, some by me, others i found over the web and have permition to use from there authors, all SW, all ready to place in X3, ships ranging from the mynoc assault ship abd Strike Cruiser, to the AR170 ( 3 versions of that one lol ) to the more known like the X-wing or TIE fighter, from sizes ranging from the Sovereign Super Star Destroyer to the escape pod, with races from the Vong to the Hutt or even other pirate gangs... But there's a problem!

For all of you that know X game mechanics, you know that's impossible to place all the guns in the ships ( well, let's put it this way, the Executor, in this case the M1, would take 2000 turbolaser cannons... I know i would drool to see all that fire just passing me by but it's impossible to have )AND the worst part is, the turrets don't work like i whant them to, so i need ideas on how they should look ( drawings are welcome ) for Star Wars. Simply putting it, all ( or 99% of them anyway ) SW ship turrets look like tanks, and i can do that but all guns must be "sticking" out on tghe sides of the up/down/fromt/back of the ship, so either i remove dubble/quad guns and it will break my heart and make a simgle barrel turret like Roguey had/has OR, i get new ideas on turrets, cause in that area i ran into a brick wall, head first, and i can't think of anything!

One thing to keep in mind is that the turrets turn in all directions, and having a turret turning into the ships hull and shooting is ugly, therefor not that nice to have in a ship/game.

Any kick arse ideas out there for me? Smile

For each idea, i'll place a nice ingame pic of a ship for ya :p

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

wooh, you got a lot of ships done for it then.

Like you said: the turrets in X3/TC can be very limiting (6+1 front, 12 guns max). I can understand however with 2,000 guns firing I could see any PC crawling.

You could technically use effects/bod that has say 6 bullets in it, so when fired it would look like 6 when its only 1. How tight you space them is another question - if you put all 6 very far, would X3/TC clip detection take into count empty space in a model? and let the model pass through the ship? not sure

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well, the number of guns not being placed in is sad but there's nothing we can do really, I'm only trying to convert X3, not making a new Star Wars game so, I'm not even going that far mate.

The difficult part are the turret designs to look like SW, it's the same i talked to you on the turrets post, most SW ship turrets face forward/backward and cover 360º like the X3 turrets do but, in X3's case, they must face and be centered on the side they're made to cover, leaving me with very big and beautifull turrets sticking out of the ship, wich is ugly!

That's what i nee help with, ideas for nice turrets that work like the X ones but look like SW turrets Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Well you could use invisible gun, then try and use a turret model as viewpoint - would it rotate with the camera? hmmm

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Tryied and failed mate, it seems the turret links with the laser object Cry

it actually works if you use a cockpit ( like u're inside the gun shooting ) but the gun moves but the laser doesn't.

If there was a way to play with this ( the cockpit ) for our advantage, it would be cool nontheless, would have to make a few more models but that's fine!

I'm gonna try to make the turrets normal ( facing forward ) and place them facing the sides once you select that view, the thing is, i'm not sure if it will work with autopilot.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

Well you could have the turret base as part of the ship, have the "turret" just be the gun barrel and have banks of guns. So front back left right top and bottom banks of guns. This would prevent your fronts from shooting to far left and right but it would give you the up and down in the front, next turret on your hull could be a left to right.
Or you could make your turrets have a round base like the Hoth Ion Cannon.

SMITHY77

SMITHY77 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

One idea, would be to "adjust" some bullet data around on a custom range of weapons just available to the big boys. I.E. a super shot to allow for the reduction in total mounts you can use. Pop their energy usage up per shot etc to accomodate for the 150 odd lasers it would represent. Rather than having the amount of guns go for the boom factor in the lesser amount.

There is a nice little conversion mod of the "Empire at war -Forces of corruption" which had added alot of the later novel ships.

I'd be more interested in what you propose for the proton torpedoes though? with the way they have segmented shields in SW, either you have some powerful torps available to the bombers/fighters to reprent the "volley" launch tactic and then you would surely have to add some serious hull armour to stop. . . never mind ION missles would be one way.

Sounds nice though.

Oh, as for design ideas, you might want to look at some of the turret designs on turbosquid? for ideas. The mechanics side of it is waaaaayyyy past my level.

Personally though, if i'm in a furball with something smacking out that kind of damage though, I tend to not look too closely at whats throwing it at me. Something about just trying to stay alive kicks in at that point ya know? lol.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

One idea, would be to "adjust" some bullet data around on a custom range of weapons just available to the big boys. I.E. a super shot to allow for the reduction in total mounts you can use. Pop their energy usage up per shot etc to accomodate for the 150 odd lasers it would represent. Rather than having the amount of guns go for the boom factor in the lesser amount.
- SMITHY77

Is that the same as this?

You could technically use effects/bod that has say 6 bullets in it, so when fired it would look like 6 when its only 1. How tight you space them is another question - if you put all 6 very far, would X3/TC clip detection take into count empty space in a model? and let the model pass through the ship? not sure
- Roguey

SMITHY77

SMITHY77 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Similar but Roguey was talking about the look? As in the amount of visual fire?

Not sure.
I was referring to using Xeditor on the Tlaser and Tbullet files.
the nasty was of the old copy and paste (when blonde's play with modding it looks nasty) but taking a weapon, "creating" the modified damage potential of the required amount, (here i can see the calculator being seriously needed to adjust power/damage settings) and capping it into a single gun.

Changing the "look" of the fire well, I have no clue on that. Hell I wouldn't have a clue at putting a line up on a 3d model let alone mapping out a ship with the detail I've seen on the mods.

I know what Ktide was saying about the look of the main turrets on a star destroyer/mon calamari they are massive and normally mounted top side on the mid to side of the ship. Roughly the size of a small ship themselves. Only I dont see them as 360*. more specific in firing arcs to their alotted areas. Often read about rolling the ships to bring certain guns to bear even the same as rolling to present fresh shield sides.

I know with the lag I would get from seeing a true SD firing I'd rather see less than more.
The scary thing alone is one of those bad boys carries a compliment of 12 squadrons (144) fighters alone, not to mention support ships etc.

Take into account their fire as well you have. . . 2576 lasers already just on one side. (basic 4 laser TIE).

There is a turret mod fix for tc/ap on egosoft's site. might not be what you want but may help with ideas on how to fix the turrets????

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=226528

You need to log-in to post here.