Windows 8 free demo out today :D

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Windows 8 free demo out today :D

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yo, have a look. Mine is checking my apps and drivers at the moment. So can't report on it yet. Will edit as it goes, just though i would let you guys know.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Woh, Windows 8 already? in that preview video it looked like Windows 8 was more like android/win-phone: with apps, scrolling images and etc. Im not sure if I really want to replace Windows 7 atm, its been a good o/s so far. Its not like even upgrades are cheap - usually costs like £100-200 for just an upgrade?

Whats your thoughts on it?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well before I installed it a checked the FAQ. Glad i did, if I installed it I would have to back up windows 7. Gonna download the ISO version. I have an idea, will report back soon enough.

Edit: Well, that was. A waste of 5 hours. Spent 5 hours trying to get it to work using Virtual Box. All was going fine, I allocated it 25GBs of space. Everything worked until i tried booting it up. It started the loading bit but I don't have virtualization. Something you have to change in your BIOS, but my cpu is not compatible for it... great.
Microsoft forums said that to get Windows 8 working I needed to check that my cpu was compatible using the 'HAV' it Hardware-Assistent Virtualization Detection tool, according to it, I don't have the right processor. So no Windows 8 CP for me. Cry

Error message.. damn computers

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Woh, that sounds really silly. By the sounds of it could be a killer for Windows 8.

I did just check mine, and it does have VT however never seen a Windows requiring such a thing. What processor do you have?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

This should tell you everything.

Picture

I have to enable virtualisation due to the fact I am using Windows 8 in Virtual Box. It would be like this. (but with windows 8 not 98 :P)

Windows 98 on Virtual Box

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Checking your cpu, it only came-out in Q3 2010 - so not that old. I would of thought an 2010 cpu would be able to run win 8.

Wow, thats a lot of... windows. Do you have a lot of old programs which need different version of windows?

ikkoba

ikkoba avatar
Level badge Newguey (1)
Posted 12 years ago.

So do you think that Windows 8 would start to make it this time? I mean, Windows 7 was already great and all that but it seems that people had some failure to step up and seem to have been stuck with Windows XP.

You could argue that it is a very lightweight and something that will work to the advantage of corporate work but they are still missing out on a lot of things that when used will prove to be very useful for them.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well to me, Windows 7 was the first leap from XP (another great o/s). Maybe releasing a new version of Windows every year is too quick... well it is for me. I understand that things change in a o/s but not that quickly. So ill pass on Windows 8 probably.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Most of the time, the games that need to run on Windows 98 I can tun in compatibility mode. I have not tried to install programmes on Windows 98 yet, it will not run in normal mode, only in safe mode. I think it is an driver issue. Working on it though.

I borrowed a friends laptop and used his for virtualisation, worked a treat. Windows 8 seems pretty good, the have no start button. You have to hover you mouse over the bottom right of the screen, (where the witch to desktop button is on Windows 7) and a sidebar comes up, you click start on there and you get a full screen start menu. Like this: Windows 8 Start menu
(got that image off google)

Well to me, Windows 7 was the first leap from XP (another great o/s). Maybe releasing a new version of Windows every year is too quick... well it is for me. I understand that things change in a o/s but not that quickly. So ill pass on Windows 8 probably.
- Roguey

I will probably be the same, Windows 7 has not even got a SP2 yet. Seems a bit premature for Windows 8.

So do you think that Windows 8 would start to make it this time? I mean, Windows 7 was already great and all that but it seems that people had some failure to step up and seem to have been stuck with Windows XP.
- ikkoba

I have a feeling people will move on, Windows XP was good, and I still know a lot of people that use it. But I think Windows 8 will take over. You never know, Microsoft might offer a discounted upgrade price or something.

Checking your cpu, it only came-out in Q3 2010 - so not that old. I would of thought an 2010 cpu would be able to run win 8.
- Roguey

I think it does not matter on the age, it is mainly what the BIOS can do. My BIOS is very limited. I will have to dig out my old machine and see if that can handle it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

No start button? its been in Windows a long .. long time! Even keyboards have it on.

Ill probably wait until Windows 9 is out before thinking of upgrading - like you said: its too soon.

You need to log-in to post here.