Our first banned person

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Our first banned person

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Its kind-of sad today that a spambot/person has posted on the site. I have already banned this user and removed the content they have posted. I will have to see how it goes, however if the site starts to be hammered by spam then I will take registering off-line until I have updated the process with a new flash system - which should be harder for them to get through.

I really hate seeing spam bots/people here - the whole reason why I wrote my own system.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I'm puzzled as to why these kind of bots even exist. I don't see how anyone seeing such a post could think it was anything other than spam. Unless they follow the links out of some kind of morbid curiosity, I can't imagine how the spammer is benefited in any way.

Tangent. What made you choose to make your own registration system, as opposed to using something like captcha? I was under the impression that captcha was pretty good at keeping out bots, and it helps digitising documents at the same time.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well I think the reason why there are these bots is to get a few links. These links give the site a little boost in PR, which help them drive more people to their site. These bots dont care that they harm another sites by filling it up with junk. It can also harm your google PR too.

as for captcha's im not much of a fan of those. Bots can still solve them if they are too easy, and if they are too hard then people can struggle. Before writing my own system I tried captcha and anti-spam questions which didnt really work on phpbb2/3.

I had to either ditch the forum (atleast 2-5 posts a day of spam) or try another way.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

i get assloads of comment spam on my blog. upwards of 200+ per day. thankfully i have a plugin that filters it all. the ones i get are bots that post things that actually look real but include links. they are trying to generate hits to other sites.

its sad because i have so few real visitors but my stats are extremely skewed by the bots. i need to put some ads up too because they sometimes follow links.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

That's the trouble with using pre-made forums/systems: most of the bots know how to post junk to them. Plugins and anti-spam questions do work for a bit, until the bots get around them too (still get odd ones getting through like you said).

Well I suppose ive done quite well with my system: 2 years for one to get through I guess isnt bad. I am glad I wrote ban code into the system from a early stage. Ill see how it goes, if this is the start of more to come then ill have to change things.

hmm.. I awhile back I did think about making a page where bots could post junk (without having to register). The contents could simply go into a file (with their IP details), but it would be interesting to see how much spam would be posted. Maybe the IP's from there might be useful to block.

I never got to 200 a day although, thats a lot! Although with the phpbb2/3 forum I did see rather adult stuff being posted.

You need to log-in to post here.