Arcade Gaming on Roguey's Site

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Arcade Gaming on Roguey's Site

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Does anyone understand the scoring in Boiler Room? Sometimes I score loads of points, yet another hardly anything. Its crazy.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Does anyone understand the scoring in Boiler Room? Sometimes I score loads of points, yet another hardly anything. Its crazy.
- Roguey

No I have no idea, which probably explains why I haven't done better at it. I've actually been looking into it a bit, but I have yet to figure it out. I had a theory if I connected several valves and released them all at once it would be worth a lot of points, but so far that theory has failed to produce a better score.

Meanwhile, you may not know how to score points at that game, but that hasn't stopped you from scoring more of them than other contestants.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

At LAST Traffic Jam falls. Wow do I hate that game. Let me count the ways.

1) Buggy! Issues with selecting the game pieces. Continually deselects, then when you click again to reselect, congrats, you just used up a move. Moves cost points. Best part is when you are about to finish a puzzle just in a nick of time, only to find you can't select the piece you want to move. At times, it absolutely refuses to reselect; I've sat in a game for over 30 seconds trying to select something. When it finally did, the piece moved off the entire board.

2) The farther I get, the less points I get per puzzle! What...The...F%@&#k! If you're halfway to your goal, and have 3 mins left (more than half the total time), you aren't likely to double your score from there, in spite of having more time than you've already used. Bonus levels stop after about level 25 or so also (which makes no sense, its not like the game is getting easier), making it even harder to get more points. Frankly, I think the game would be better (and more fun) if it put 10 seconds back on the clock for each puzzle the player solves. Oh and...

3) The harder the puzzle, the less points I get?! That really doesn't make sense. So, WTF, skip all the hard ones to score well. Ironically, because of this, its not even necessary to learn how to solve the harder ones. Each puzzle has a minimum number of moves to solve, player should get points based on how close to this perfect solution they achieve, rather than simply penalizing the player for each move. The skill in this game is supposed to be about not making excess moves, so only excess moves over the perfect solution should be penalized. It's really just not fair to set player up with a hard puzzle, for which they'll score nothing because it takes a fair number of moves to solve. This brings me to my next point...

4) Scoring is pretty much random, once you know the puzzles. Since you get penalized for harder ones, and which ones you get is random, you're pretty much just waiting for a lucky streak of easy puzzles to get a high score. Some bonus levels are a free 6000 points, others have all the cars so locked up you can't even get 1500. Skill is a minor factor at best.

In summary, I hate this &%$@ing game. At this point, my neighbors probably aren't too crazy about it either.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well in Traffic Jam its a good idea to save you skips for them really hard puzzles. Okay you loose 1,000 points but you can easily make the 1,000 points back in the next game. You need to use the skip sparely as you only get like 3 of them.

I also find that de-selection rather annoying.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Well in Traffic Jam its a good idea to save you skips for them really hard puzzles. Okay you loose 1,000 points but you can easily make the 1,000 points back in the next game. You need to use the skip sparely as you only get like 3 of them.

I also find that de-selection rather annoying.
- Roguey

Yeah you get 5 skips, but its annoying (and pure luck) to have to use them. Basically, the hard puzzles will be skips in any winning effort, which in my mind is wrong because the player should have more motivation to solve them. What really stinks is getting the same 25+ move puzzle twice in a row. Skip twice, or lose game??? If you run out of skips, and yet another hard one comes up, its 'good game'. If there's any skill here, its that sometimes a puzzle can resemble one of the hard ones but actually have an easy solution. Not getting suckered into wasting a skip is one thing the player can be careful of.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

True, and you dont want to skip on 5, 10, 15 etc. as you will miss the bonus round.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

True, and you dont want to skip on 5, 10, 15 etc. as you will miss the bonus round.
- Roguey

Another example of how it is too much luck. Too bad if you get a hard puzzle that round, eh.

I actually got 5 cars out on a bonus round once or twice. The deselection problem is particularly evident here, as it seems like each car I exit I need to double select the next car I want to move. Moves don't cost points here, but 15 seconds is so little time; double selecting hurts.

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.