Arcade Gaming on Roguey's Site

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Arcade Gaming on Roguey's Site

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Not sure where to put this, but I'll start the thread anyway. This is for those who are playing the arcade, to comment on scores or techniques. I personally know a lot of tricks that have made it possible for me to hold a lot of the all time high scores fairly quickly. I suppose I can address individual games as they come up in the thread.

Perhaps some challenges are in order?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

You definitely getting a lot of good scores on the arcade..

my tip for Dwarf on a Wharf

Picture

To get really good points you need to keep getting the dwarf on the boat (in a row). You can recover if you hit the water but it can take awhile to recover. So get used to the power and angle for each type of dwarf, so you can miss hitting the water.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

For those who don't know how the game works, you get an increasing bonus for each consecutive dwarf landed, like 1000 then 2000 then 3000 etc. The high scores are composed primarily of these bonus points for consecutive hits.

If you miss even once you aren't likely to win a new high score, because once you start over on the hitting streak you will get too far into the game levels/difficulty before reestablishing it, because the game does get harder quite quickly. I think you need 10 or more in a row to get to around 100k. Once your hit streak is over its just collecting some spare change in points before game over. Perhaps this is why there is a button to restart the game as you are in the middle of watching a throw. Once you realize its a miss, it might very well be GG try again. Otherwise you'd have to wait for the ship to reach the high seas before you could start a new game.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Wow check out this month's Chopper2 scores. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are separated by less than 20 points. In that game that amounts to like, 1/2 of a second of survival. Closely contested!

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

D: I just got 1334, and now the page has vanished! I am displeased!

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

D: I just got 1334, and now the page has vanished! I am displeased!
- Seygantte

Wow that sucks. For what its worth, its happened to me too, but after playing a 20+ hour game of MuMu and an alltime high score. The catch with these flash games is you cannot do anything to tell your browser to go back or refresh page, or the game is ruined. Just last night I broke my MuMu score (yay) in another 8+ hour game, and the entire time I was paranoid I would accidently slip and hit my Microsoft Natural Keyboard's 'back' button, which is located just beneath the space bar, which I'm using to rotate the pieces. One slip with a thumb twitch or something and the whole game is lost. It's happened to me before with MuMu. 2 other keys to avoid are F5 and Backspace, F5 will refresh page and Backspace is the same as 'back'.

You could do what I did and start a blog with a screenshot of your high score, if you have it (I assume you weren't expecting this to happen, and don't have one). That's not really satisfying though, I have to admit. I'm glad I finally broke my MuMu score to the point where my 1575 screenshot score is not relevant anymore.

So, keep trying, you're sure to exceed 1000 again if you can get 1300, just watch your keyboard keys this time. You could consider a screenshot too if you're really worried. On Windows 7, just hit the 'prtscn' button up near scroll lock, and the shot is in memory, then open up a program like MSPaint, and type 'control-V' to paste the image into the program. Then you can crop and save.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

It wasn't anything like that. I submitted the score but the arcade games seemed to temporarily break. All the pages for the games returned "Page not found". Oh well, my earlier submission worked and I beat the monthly high scores.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

It wasn't anything like that. I submitted the score but the arcade games seemed to temporarily break. All the pages for the games returned "Page not found". Oh well, my earlier submission worked and I beat the monthly high scores.
- Seygantte

You know I've seen that happen before too, back when cookies could expire if your game went too long. I lost some MuMu high scores that way too, by taking too long to play the game. Now obviously yours didn't have that exact same problem, but it would appear there is a cookie issue again maybe. Hopefully its not related to the reorganization of the arcade that just took place. If the underlying page changed while you were playing the game I could see where it would fail to submit. Do you know if its working correctly now? Should I go test whether I can submit a new high score?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

It's working again, as I just posted another high score for Chopper2. It was odd though, it wasn't just the submission pages that weren't working but the description pages too. It looks like the layout's just been changed to sort everything into genres, so maybe they were moved while the new system was put in.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

oopps.. sorry guys.

I didnt think anyone was playing in the arcade, as you seen ive been working on it. I have been trying to make the navigation simpler, has in the old system you needed to do the following to get into a game:

Arcade Index -> Genre -> Game info (with scores) -> Play

However with the new system its:

Arcade Index -> Genre -> Play

I did change quite a few internal files/paths too - some had some really bad naming. Hopefully on the whole you guys will like the new layout, as it uses much more complex code. This is probably why you score didnt submit, rather than any cookie issues (that should be fixed for good now).

The changes to the arcade should be done now btw.

..... oh and one more thing (still lots to do on it)...

Picture

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Hivemind. I was just thinking earlier today that the navigation was a bit clumsy. It's a much nicer organisation now, so my hat off to you good sir.

..... oh and one more thing (still lots to do on it)...
- Roguey
]
Good lord, are you building an X game flash clone? That would be amazing :O

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

It's working again, as I just posted another high score for Chopper2.
- Seygantte

I see someone's begun an assault on the high score charts. 'Bout effin time.

P.S. If you break Poux again, I'm going right back after it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Good lord, are you building an X game flash clone? That would be amazing :O
- Seygantte

Well.. sort-of. Its not X-game, as they are fairly complex games to do. The game based on old game called Trade wars (which I made at college - and was one of the very few programs I ever finsihed (made in DOS btw)).. which is based on another game called Drugwars: where you buy and sell goods, to make profit in a set amount of days.

Funny some ways that I was asking on the egosoft boards if anyone could flash content (here).

So hopefully in a few weeks, there should be a new category on the arcade - Roguey's games.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Another update to the arcade:

Ive been thinking it would be nice to see the last scores submitted to arcade. So today ive added a log system to the front-page of the arcade. This log also lets you know if a new high/monthly score has been beaten too. The log is only certain size, as I dont want it turning to mb's long. However I hope you like this new feature.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Has anyone managed to get the 2 stars on BMX Backflips? I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong but I can't get them! I wanna get past level 3!!!

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Has anyone managed to get the 2 stars on BMX Backflips? I dont know what the hell Im doing wrong but I cant get them! I wanna get past level 3!!!
- Kirlack

Lean backwards when you go up slopes to get enough speed. Don't be surprised if you need to backflip to land it. The first star will often kill if you try to backflip that one though.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.