bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Any one on it?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

nope.. it is actually any good? played some star-trek games in the pass, and they been.... well.. somewhat.. disappointing.

SMITHY77

SMITHY77 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

Nope dont plan to either, not one of the mmo fans. Only one I had planned to join was the "Honorverse" when it was completed, but seems a dead issue now. A RTSMMO, now that is what caught me on the concept.

Bethedsa Go nuts Bash the wall really screwed the pooch on their trek games.

Rather try the Dr Who one I've seen posted about than be dissapointed by another tragic "trek".

Siren

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I made a character and got him to max level (which took no time at all. The first 60 levels seem to be merely a tutorial). I stopped playing though. The game is very, very buggy, far more so than one would expect from a game that's been out for several years and for which people actually paid a subscription. The quests are generic and uninspired, the only real motivation for doing them is to get the loot. This will see you doing the same missions hundreds of times to save up for the 'best' stuff.

It got me in a grinding trap and siphoned away too many hours of my life without me realising, and worst of all they weren't even spent doing something enjoyable. Also the flight is incredibly restrictive for one who's used to playing X games. You don't have full 360 degrees of freedom, but fly like an aircraft with a slight ability to change pitch, not full vertical movement.

There are one or two things I would like to see in an X game, for instance directional shielding, but for the most part it falls way short. If I had to score it out of 10, I'd give it a 2...

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

wow, a paid subscription with a lot of bugs? I guess its only die-hard fans of star-trek who play it then?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

wow, a paid subscription with a lot of bugs? I guess its only die-hard fans of star-trek who play it then?
- Roguey

It went FP2 recently, though for I think around three years before that it was entirely paid subscriptions. I don't subscription games, because I like to own things outright, so when I first found it a few years ago although I was curious I passed on it. When it popped up on steam though as free I did download it (shockingly big download for what it is, bigger than X3R and I haven't even loaded all the areas yet) to try it out.

You get random bugs like missions stopping halfway through forcing you to reset all progress, spawning inside lamp posts and getting stuck, buying one thing on the player market and getting another, weapons turning themselves off during combat etc etc. Once it got me stuck running and flying around in circles as if I were holding W and D, and the only way to fix it was a complete un/reinstall. Not fun. There doesn't even seem to be much support. Calling for GMs never did anything, and the forums were almost blank. While at ES you actually have someone talk you through issues, the entire approach of STO seemed to consist of submitting a bug support ticket.

As I said, the space combat is shoddy compared to X games, but at least it's better than ground combat. Awful, just awful. I'd imagine even die-hard fans being hard pressed to enjoy that aspect. The game isn't exactly canon, unless you know of time when you can call an orbital strike while inside a space station.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Sounds like chaos. Im not a fan of subscription games either. I like to take my time with things, if I want do something else for abit, then I shouldnt feel that im wasting money on a subscription as im taking a break from a game.

Although buying a good and getting something else sounds like fun... must be some language barrier :p stupid aliens, learn english :p

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

It is all Free-to-play now.

It has a few bugs, but overall it is brilliant. Although I have been very sad and clocked 30 hours game play in 4 days. And got my self to the rank of Commander pretty quick. It is a very easy game.

It can get a bit repetitive.

@Seygantte: you said about bugs, I have had near to none, and the ones I have had are only very minor.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

@bozo64r Well you've been very lucky then, or perhaps they've finally done some bug fixes these lasts few weeks.

@Roguey
Yeah, I realised eventually that it wasn't being fun, and it was just becoming a chore. There are definitely parts left over from the subscription origins of the game where it makes things drag out as long as possible. Not cool...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Is this the game:

Doesnt look bad! The online part, does that mean you play with other players over the net?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Yep that's it. I should point out though that almost all of that is not in-game footage. For instance, at no point do you command from the bridge. Ships are piloted in a third person view, and most interactions with NPCs comes in the form of dialogue boxes. You can 'visit' your bridge but nothing can be done there except sit in the chair.

Yes you play with others over the net. There's sector space, where you see everyone flying around, but unless you do parties then you will do missions solo. You can join fleets, which are like guilds in other MMOs. Also like other MMOs you pick between the federation or the klingons. The drag of the online part is that the things I mentioned earlier that you do repeatedly must be done in teams, often with strangers. If they cock up you all suffer for it.

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

The space combat is pretty decent, but even with a computer that far exceeds the recommended system specs the away missions lag and drop into the single-digit frame rates. That being said, I like that you can swap between skill bar style play and 3rd-person shooter style with the push of a button!

You need to log-in to post here.